What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.85SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The 7800 hardware design engineers made an excellent choice using the Qualcomm Atheros chipset.

I'm a big fan of Qualcomm Atheros-based routers. Sadly, they're difficult to find. The industry has more or less settled on Broadcom-based ones.

The 7800 hardware design engineers made an excellent choice using the Qualcomm Atheros chipset.
I agree about the hardware design.
But I cannot say the same for Netgear software design using ancient and outdated versions.
Once again, I sincerely thank you @Voxel , @kamoj, @HELLO_wORLD for curing of this flaw.
Of course I know that if we had free access to the latest versions of the Qualcomm wlan drivers and firmware using current Linux kernel no one would buy new router models.
I can only dream of this can ever happen.

Last edited:
“More powerful cpu than most aircraft…..”

I have a friend who does some of the programming for those aircraft as well as the passenger entertainments systems, etc. He makes a good living coding what we would have been using on 8088 PC’s, you know, XT’s….

Blew my mind when I found out.

And I don’t know for avionics industry, but in space industry, a lot of electronic components are handmade with gold.

For the technology, you think about it, even if it can be rare, it is not unusual or unheard of having a crash, slowdown or little to big problems with a computer/tablet/phone or router.
Solution is often simple, reboot, takes a minute and all is ok.

You don’t want that to ever happen however on a plane or a space rocket... You want to be as close as possible to 100% reliability while being able to do the job you need it to do.

Just Installed without any trouble.
I'm a big fan of Qualcomm Atheros-based routers. Sadly, they're difficult to find. The industry has more or less settled on Broadcom-based ones.
agree, the soc is the reason that i have chosen the R7800 over Asus offer at that period (i.e.RT-AC86u).

Hello again :)

I know I have read that question before but I can't remember where and what was the answer :(
During our first long confinemnet last year, I had the opportunity to buy a spare R7800. I upgraded it right away with Voxel's firmware of course. Can't remember which one. This router has been sitting in a corner since then.
My question is : can I upgrade the router with the latest firmware, or is it better to upgrade it one firmware after the other? So like going from firmware v80 to v81 then v82, then v83, and so on?
Sorry about that question, I really can't find the answer anymore :(
Thanx for your replies :)

Hello again :)

I know I have read that question before but I can't remember where and what was the answer :(
During our first long confinemnet last year, I had the opportunity to buy a spare R7800. I upgraded it right away with Voxel's firmware of course. Can't remember which one. This router has been sitting in a corner since then.
My question is : can I upgrade the router with the latest firmware, or is it better to upgrade it one firmware after the other? So like going from firmware v80 to v81 then v82, then v83, and so on?
Sorry about that question, I really can't find the answer anymore :(
Thanx for your replies :)

You can upgrade it directly to the latest version

Hello everyone :)
Weird : I have setup a new NAS. It's using an ethernet cable. I cannot change the icon of the NAS. I choose the icon in Attached Devices, Storage NAS, I click on Apply. And nothing. It doesn't pick up.
I tried to change the icon of another device, no problem. Only this device.
Weird, huh?

Hello everyone :)
Weird : I have setup a new NAS. It's using an ethernet cable. I cannot change the icon of the NAS. I choose the icon in Attached Devices, Storage NAS, I click on Apply. And nothing. It doesn't pick up.
I tried to change the icon of another device, no problem. Only this device.
Weird, huh?
Seems par for course with NG software..and it's still NG centric despite being from voxel..the devices page always did weird things for me.
It could be the name or name length if your NAS device..could be anything...I gave up trying to get that page to work right. I found my roku was doing weird things to that page when plugged into the router..renaming it I forget if it helped or not.

I am running this firmware version and I'm now getting this error when trying to access the router's administration page:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to 192.168.1.1. Peer’s Certificate has been revoked.

Error code: SEC_ERROR_REVOKED_CERTIFICATE

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

I'm running Firefox 89.0 on Arch Linux. My router is a Netgear R-7800.

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask about it, but I ran several site searches, and all responded "no results found".

PS - Never mind. I tried to connect several times, getting the above error each time. Trying to troubleshoot, I tried connecting again, and it connected ok. I have no idea what was going on, though.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
Weird thing happened this morning. I have my own DNS server at home (AdguardHome, docker). So I had configured my R7800 so that it was pointing to that DNS on my LAN. I noticed that my DNS server had little problem so I uninstalled it and while I was configuring it, I realized that I could still surf. So I checked the configuration of my R7800 and I saw that the DNS was those of my provider, not the one on my LAN. I don't know why it shifted. I saved the config file, in case it happens again. First time it loses my settings though...

@danlat1415 you know, you're not the only one who donated. They don't flash it on the forum, is all...
Very true, and that's great.
There have been multiple times when other users have noted it on the forum, as it reminds/prompts people who don't donate that Voxel and Kamoj do these things for free - so highlighting could prompt others to donate too - as it did with me.

Either way, it's only a good thing.

Continuation of

. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-83sf.71083/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-84sf.71885/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.85SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.84SF):

1. Toolchain: GCC is upgraded 10.3.0->11.1.0.
2. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.16.3->1.16.4.
3. OpenVPN is upgraded 2.5.1->2.5.2.
4. curl package is upgraded 7.76.0->7.76.1.
5. uci package is upgraded 2020-10-06->2021-04-14.
6. libgcrypt package is upgraded 1.8.7->1.9.3.
7. libgpg-error package is upgraded 1.39->1.42.
8. nano package is upgraded 5.6.1->5.7.
9. ethtool package is upgraded 5.10->5.12.
10. netatalk-utility: fix error message for '/etc/init.d/forked-daapd start|stop' if there is no such file.
11. amule, libcrypto++, wxWidgets: add support of compilation by GCC 11.
12. samba-scripts: add possibility to use custom user's config '/etc/config/samba/user.conf'.
(Now it is possible to use custom user's config for samba. Just save your custom​
config as '/etc/config/samba/user.conf' and it will be used instead of generation of the​
new config)​

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.
I've logged only to say you ... THANKS!!!!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!