What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.90SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Meanwhile, you can experiment @fossil and alpha test the firmware after removing/adjusting the mentioned files yourself.
If all works fine, it will make things easier for @Voxel when he will find time for this ;)

Voxel is providing a great service to the community with his firmwares. I am pretty satisfied with it. Once one try to compile it he gets the idea how much effort Voxel has put into it.

Just as a fun project for my own learning. I started building the Voxel firmware (.90SF) couple of weeks back in my free time. I am able to compile it end to end using latest toolchain with GC 11.2 on RP4 with bullseye. I used raspberry pi 4 as build environment, which was kind of a mistake because aarch64 is not supported by NG toolchain and some old pkgs. But I am glad I did as it made me learn more and dig deeper into the things.

Considering this is the first time ever I worked with toolchains, openwrt and compiling router firmware, I am a happy camper. Need to sort out couple of things which I will be able to do in the coming few days. Next step compile it on x86-64 in virtualbox/WSL and start playing around with it.

r7800-fw-build.png

I opened an issue/suggestion on github few days back. Please take a look if it is worth looking into, otherwise close it.
Thanks.
Meanwhile, you can experiment @fossil and alpha test the firmware after removing/adjusting the mentioned files yourself.

I've wiped out Funjsq service already. Not just disabling. Changes are already in my local repository. So even latest stock 1.0.2.90 is not so clean in their "Remove Funjsq for PR SKU".
I used raspberry pi 4 as build environment, which was kind of a mistake because aarch64 is not supported by NG toolchain and some old pkgs.
Funnily ;)

Voxel.

@Voxel

Currently, dnscrypt2 starts with a START=70. This is too early in case it takes some time for the router to acquire the IPv6 address and gateway - if there's no IPv6 and dnscrypt2 is configured to use it, it won't work. I suggest setting dnscrypt2 to START=99. I have tested this setting and it works here (my ISP can be slow in assigning IPv6 addresses)

@Voxel

Currently, dnscrypt2 starts with a START=70. This is too early in case it takes some time for the router to acquire the IPv6 address and gateway - if there's no IPv6 and dnscrypt2 is configured to use it, it won't work. I suggest setting dnscrypt2 to START=99. I have tested this setting and it works here (my ISP can be slow in assigning IPv6 addresses)
I've noticed your request. I've changed it already with priority 98 (in my internal repository). Please check if 98 is OK for you with your ISP.

Also:
@Voxel Have you considered disabling the amazon service in your firmware?
Option to disable AWS-IoT is added (in my repository).

Also:

Is there an easy way to patch iptables to continue the listing (moving on to next line of rules) after it prints the error?
Such patch is added (in my repository).

Voxel.

I've noticed your request. I've changed it already with priority 98 (in my internal repository). Please check if 98 is OK for you with your ISP.

it works fine here

i've used this for a long time with no issues. it actually solved my wifi dropouts which i'm very grateful for @Voxel

unfortunately, my admin password stopped working and i had to factory reset. it seems this can happen with this router after losing power sometimes, and that happened a few times recently.

has anyone heard of this happening?

EDIT: going to chalk this up to me using the wrong password. i had a backup of my config so it's not a big deal anyway.

Last edited:
i've used this for a long time with no issues. it actually solved my wifi dropouts which i'm very grateful for @Voxel

unfortunately, my admin password stopped working and i had to factory reset. it seems this can happen with this router after losing power sometimes, and that happened a few times recently.

has anyone heard of this happening?

EDIT: going to chalk this up to me using the wrong password. i had a backup of my config so it's not a big deal anyway.
You might want to invest in a UPS. Get one of the $30-$40 ones on Black Friday.

You might want to invest in a UPS. Get one of the $30-$40 ones on Black Friday.
I will recommend DC UPS like I'm using for all the LAN related devices... you will get at least 2 times more running time on the same battery comparing to AC UPS (as you are not loosing power on any DC (battery) -> AC (multiple power supply(s)) -> DC (devices))...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!