What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.92.3SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HELLO_wORLD

Very Senior Member
Continuation of

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.92SF
Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.91SF & v. 1.0.2.91.1SF

New version of Voxel custom firmware build: 1.0.2.92.3SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.92SF):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.17.7->1.17.8.
2. Upgrade ubus to 2022-02-28.
3. Upgrade dbus to 1.13.22.
4. Upgrade wget to 1.21.3.
5. Upgrade curl to 7.82.0.
6. Upgrade libflac to 1.3.4.
7. Upgrade expat to 2.4.7 (Relax fix to CVE-2022-25236 (introduced with release 2.4.5)).
8. Upgrade OpenSSL 1.1.1m to OpenSSL 1.1.1n (CVE-2022-0778).
9. Upgrade OpenVPN to 2.5.6 (CVE: 2022-0547).
10. Upgrade libxml2 to 2.9.13 (CVE-2022-23308).
11. Upgrade usbmode to 2022-02-24.

Link: https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/R7800-Voxel-firmware/SnapShot/ (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Last edited:
Continuation of

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.91SF & v. 1.0.2.91.1SF

New version of Voxel custom firmware build: 1.0.2.91.3SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.91.1SF):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.17.7->1.17.8.
2. Upgrade ubus to 2022-02-28.
3. Upgrade dbus to 1.13.22.
4. Upgrade wget to 1.21.3.
5. Upgrade curl to 7.82.0.
6. Upgrade libflac to 1.3.4.
7. Upgrade expat to 2.4.7 (Relax fix to CVE-2022-25236 (introduced with release 2.4.5)).
8. Upgrade OpenSSL 1.1.1m to OpenSSL 1.1.1n (CVE-2022-0778).
9. Upgrade OpenVPN to 2.5.6 (CVE: 2022-0547).
10. Upgrade libxml2 to 2.9.13 (CVE-2022-23308).
11. Upgrade usbmode to 2022-02-24.

Link: https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/R7800-Voxel-firmware/SnapShot/

HELLO_wORLD - This snapshot is actually based on the 1.0.2.92SF build.

Silly question, but do you call these a "snapshot" build because you think it might be missing some testing, or just because it hasn't been blessed by Voxel personally?

Silly question, but do you call these a "snapshot" build because you think it might be missing some testing, or just because it hasn't been blessed by Voxel personally?
All these versions published by @HELLO_wORLD (many thanks to him) i.e. R7800/R9000/R8900/RBR50/RBS50/LBR20 are still released by me. They are tested by me as usual. All stages of testing. "Snapshot" because it is not not planned release, mainly CVE fixing.

Voxel.

Mmmh... Weird. I came home tonight, and the WiFi 5GHz was gone. Only 2.4GHz. I had to reboot my R7800. It took some time to reboot. More than usually. I thought something was very wrong, the power led and the internet led were both red, for at least 20 seconds. Then the router booted "normally ", and everything was back to normal. Both WiFis were up.
Dunno what happened. First time it did that.
Crossing my fingers it won't happen again, cuz...

Hello everyone,

Well, it happened again. Lost my 5GHz WiFi. I have no clue as to what happened.
Funny thing is I went to the WiFi configuration. I disabled the 5GHz WiFi. The router started to do something "Please wait a few minutes" and then I think I saw it rebooting. When it was back online, the WiFi 5GHz was still enabled, and working.
Do you think it might be a problem with this firmware? Should I revert to the previous one?
I would really really prefer not to lose my configuration. I have about 25 WiFi devices connected, I would really really hate to have reconfigure them all :(
I'm open to all suggestions :)
Cheers

Hello everyone,

Well, it happened again. Lost my 5GHz WiFi. I have no clue as to what happened.
Funny thing is I went to the WiFi configuration. I disabled the 5GHz WiFi. The router started to do something "Please wait a few minutes" and then I think I saw it rebooting. When it was back online, the WiFi 5GHz was still enabled, and working.
Do you think it might be a problem with this firmware? Should I revert to the previous one?
I would really really prefer not to lose my configuration. I have about 25 WiFi devices connected, I would really really hate to have reconfigure them all :(
I'm open to all suggestions :)
Cheers
Are you on 10.0.2.92.3SF or the newest 10.0.2.93SF (Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.93SF)?

Anyway, I have encountered no problems with Wifi 5G with either.
I hope your flash memory is not starting to fail… Known issue with those routers.

I saw that there was the new firmware from Mr Voxel, 10.0.2.93SF so I upgraded my router with this new one. I installed right after Mr Kamoj's add-on.
Crossing fingers now. Really weird. Only the 5GHz band that fails.
Could this be a symptom of failing flash memory?? I have a spare R7800 in case, but I would hate to have to configure it with all my devices :(
EDIT : stupid question -> is it possible to ssh the router? Or is Telnet the only way?

I dare to post a link here about a bug that is present in @Voxel firmware too just because a lot of people read this thread.

I saw that there was the new firmware from Mr Voxel, 10.0.2.93SF so I upgraded my router with this new one. I installed right after Mr Kamoj's add-on.
Crossing fingers now. Really weird. Only the 5GHz band that fails.
Could this be a symptom of failing flash memory?? I have a spare R7800 in case, but I would hate to have to configure it with all my devices :(
EDIT : stupid question -> is it possible to ssh the router? Or is Telnet the only way?
You absolutely can ssh, this is what I do.
Read the Readme from @Voxel and go section 4: 4. Setup SSH access to router.

Mmmh... I quickly read the Readme so I might be wrong, but I will need a USB stick at all time? With the keys backed up on it?
Thing is, I'm using a MacBook and Telnet isn't available unless I install an additional software. When I want to install Mr Kamoj's add-on, I use my Ubuntu laptop. It's cool but I have to pull it out, turn it on, bla bla ;)

Do you know if there is a way to "test" the nvram? To see if it's faulty? I'm really worried about the 5GHz loss :(

Mmmh... I quickly read the Readme so I might be wrong, but I will need a USB stick at all time? With the keys backed up on it?
Thing is, I'm using a MacBook and Telnet isn't available unless I install an additional software. When I want to install Mr Kamoj's add-on, I use my Ubuntu laptop. It's cool but I have to pull it out, turn it on, bla bla ;)

Do you know if there is a way to "test" the nvram? To see if it's faulty? I'm really worried about the 5GHz loss :(
Yes, you would need a USB stick. Always a good idea, and you can get very cheap ones (You don’t need anything fancy).

As for the nvram issue, generally the problems are losing settings between reboots.
For testing, best I believe would be to change a setting, commit then read it from nvram and not ram, I don’t remember if it is possible without restarting, best is to check the nvram command with help.

Maybe a good start would be checking where the wifi settings are stored and check them manually before and after the problem occurs ?

Yes, you would need a USB stick. Always a good idea, and you can get very cheap ones (You don’t need anything fancy).

As for the nvram issue, generally the problems are losing settings between reboots.
For testing, best I believe would be to change a setting, commit then read it from nvram and not ram, I don’t remember if it is possible without restarting, best is to check the nvram command with help.

Maybe a good start would be checking where the wifi settings are stored and check them manually before and after the problem occurs ?
Hello Mr HELLO_wORLD :)

I'm going to sound very dumb, but do you have a link that explains how to read the nvram? And how to set up a function in the nvram, how to commit, and then how to read it back?

Hello Mr HELLO_wORLD :)

I'm going to sound very dumb, but do you have a link that explains how to read the nvram? And how to set up a function in the nvram, how to commit, and then how to read it back?
Asking a question is not dumb, it is proof of being smart enough to realize you don't know something, and that you don't have an ego in the way of asking :cool:

With telnet/ssh on the router, there is a command line named nvram (also aliased as config, so you can use either nvram or config).
Options are :
config show this show all the settings stored in nvram
config commit after making a change, this stores it in the nvram (if not, it is only in the ram)
config uncommit never used this, probably to revert a commit
config default I suspect it is to restore all values to default, therefore to avoid!
config get name this is to get the value of the setting named name
config set name=value this is to set the value of the setting named name to value
config unset name this is to remove the setting named name
config backup output-file-name this is to backup all the settings in a file
config restore input-file-name this is to restore all the settings from a file
config list name-prefix(name as name1 name2 ...) not sure of that one

Also, I had made a little utility to backup the nvram and be able to function when a nvram fails on a router: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-utility-nvram-utils.63585/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!