What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.92SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you add iptable rules by running iptables cmds manually. They will reset to default NG rules after router reboot or internal firewall restart. You need to add your rules in shell script '/opt/scripts/firewall-start.sh'. Make sure the script is executable.

Create shell script firewall-start.sh with rules
chmod 0755 /opt/scripts/firewall-start.sh
/usr/sbin/net-wall rule
/usr/sbin/net-wall start

You are good till next firmware update, which you can automate with usb drive and post-mount.sh. (mentioned in voxel readme.doc)

i had done this after i set it manually and it was all working. i had internet on all vlan subnets, and wanted to test the script. i rebooted but the router would not get an ip from my fiber ONT. i tried rebooting both a few times and knew something was up. i looked at iptables and a few things were missing somehow. i reset the router, redid my couple settings, and redid it all over... except...

this time i actually did the chmod, and now it works flawless. i can reboot the router and it all persists. not sure why the lack of chmod nuked my iptables... but thanks a million!

i had done this after i set it manually and it was all working. i had internet on all vlan subnets, and wanted to test the script. i rebooted but the router would not get an ip from my fiber ONT. i tried rebooting both a few times and knew something was up. i looked at iptables and a few things were missing somehow. i reset the router, redid my couple settings, and redid it all over... except...

this time i actually did the chmod, and now it works flawless. i can reboot the router and it all persists. not sure why the lack of chmod nuked my iptables... but thanks a million!
Your rules were applied manually by running cmds from telnet/shell. As I mentioned earlier they will work as long as the router is not rebooted or some process restarts internal firewall.

The chmod cmd made the file executable. So if you did not make it executable in your previous attempts rules were never applied from the script 'firewall-start.sh'. On every reboot 'firewall-start.sh' re-applies rules when the internal firewall is started.

I'm curious, is it possible to use this firmware/router strictly for its ReadySHARE file sharing by connecting it via ethernet to another router and disabling its radios?

I'm curious, is it possible to use this firmware/router strictly for its ReadySHARE file sharing by connecting it via ethernet to another router and disabling its radios?
I don't see why not…
Since you have full access to it (telnet/ssh).
Now, I would say that using the router as a pure file sharing device might not be the best regarding file sharing performance… A cheap NAS or even a SBC would be better.

Router hardware is best at routing: specialized instructions.

I don't see why not…
Now, I would say that using the router as a pure file sharing device might not be the best regarding file sharing performance… A cheap NAS or even a SBC would be better.

I agree. A Raspberry Pi 4 with OpenMediaVault is great for a low cost file/media server.

I don't see why not…

I agree. A Raspberry Pi 4 with OpenMediaVault is great for a low cost file/media server.

Ah, I was looking for a cheap media server solution for some USB drives I previously had shared with the R7800 (recently switched to using my ISP's gateway to get Wi-Fi 6e, but no USB sharing), hence my question. Wasn't aware of the OpenMediaVault project. Hopefully I can find a Pi 4 in stock somewhere!

Anyway, sorry for diverging off topic. Thanks for the replies.

Hi

I've just obtained a second R7800 for use as a second AP, though I don't run my existing one in AP mode. I upgraded it to 1.0.2.92SF and all looks fine.

However after doing the usual config e.g. disabling the DHCP server, configuring it with a LAN ip it works fine for 30min or so but then it does something weird to knock out my primary router/firewall (pfSense). It just disappears off the network! The second AP remains accessible on the net but I can't see anything obviously wrong. If I make a config change on the second AP (or turn it off), the router reappears. I've done a factory reset and reconfigured but the same happens after a while.

Can anyone suggest any next steps to diagnose?

Without knowing anything it sounds like there is mac address conflict on the pfsense switch confusing it with the old and new R7800 APs you have? Can you disable the first original AP and see if the new one behaves on its own ?

Tx for the suggestion, I'm pretty sure there's no mac address conflict as I used arp -a (on my PC) to show that they're all different. Also nothing smoking in any of the pfsense logs. So I replaced my first AP with the second and so far, it's working fine! So I guess it may be a psu or a network issue, unless it's an odd interaction problem between two R7800s. Tx again!

Tx for the suggestion, I'm pretty sure there's no mac address conflict as I used arp -a (on my PC) to show that they're all different. Also nothing smoking in any of the pfsense logs. So I replaced my first AP with the second and so far, it's working fine! So I guess it may be a psu or a network issue, unless it's an odd interaction problem between two R7800s. Tx again!
FWIW: I have two R7800 APs on my network and I've never seen the odd interaction you describe.

FWIW: I have two R7800 APs on my network and I've never seen the odd interaction you describe.

Tx, are you running them in AP or router mode?

I'm still having issues with my second AP (router mode) knocking out my default pfsense router anything from 5 min to 5h after powering it on.
I've swapped PSU, LAN cable and switch all with the same result. There's nothing in the pfsense logs, it just goes off the network until I power off the second R7800. MAC addresses are all different. Really scratching my head on this one.

Tx, are you running them in AP or router mode?

I'm still having issues with my second AP (router mode) knocking out my default pfsense router anything from 5 min to 5h after powering it on.
I've swapped PSU, LAN cable and switch all with the same result. There's nothing in the pfsense logs, it just goes off the network until I power off the second R7800. MAC addresses are all different. Really scratching my head on this one.
I am using both of them as AP [configured as AP].
Each one is at a different remote part of the house providing WiFi coverage (both bands) with a hard wire back to the main router/firewall.

Phương pháp NG:
[URL opensurl = "true"] https://kb.netgear.com/24220/How-do...-password-using-the-password-recovery-feature [/ URL]

Viên ngọc bị giấu di:
[URL Unurl = "true"] http://192.168.1.1/passwd_reset.cgi [/ URL]
Nó sẽ yêu cầu các câu hỏi bảo mật trước khi cho phép bạn đặt lại mật khẩu.

Phương án cuối cùng nếu bạn không biết câu trả lời cho các câu hỏi bảo mật:
Nhấn nút đặt lại ở phía sau bộ định tuyến. Kết nối với ssid mạng mặc định được đề cập ở hình dán phía sau bộ định tuyến của bạn cùng với khóa mạng (mật khẩu).
Sau đó, đăng nhập vào giao diện người dùng quản trị bằng user / pass mặc định cũng được đề cập trên nhãn dán phía sau bộ định tuyến của bạn (admin / password)
tks. The problem is that r7800 doesn't let me login to it, it's not the wrong id and password, you. I had to rerun fw with tftp to recover my 2 r7800s. But if the same problem occurs, I don't know is there any other solution?

I can't use old password and id to login to r7800, so what is the solution here
You mentioned in your post that you cannot use old password and id to login. This gives the impression that your password was not working. (Id is admin)

tks. The problem is that r7800 doesn't let me login to it, it's not the wrong id and password, you. I had to rerun fw with tftp to recover my 2 r7800s. But if the same problem occurs, I don't know is there any other solution
Did you try to reset the router to factory settings when you were not able to login? (Using router back reset button)

I have jumped back and forth multiple versions in the past up to version .68 & .68SF both NG and Voxel fw without any issue. (.68 is the last NG telnet enabled ver)

Safest option when jumping long versions back and forth is reset the router to factory default settings, before and after updating the fw.

Do you have ssh enabled in voxel fw with keys and automated it with the usb for firmware updates? (Just trying to understand, it was only UI that was not accessible or you were not able to ssh as well)

You mentioned in your post that you cannot use old password and id to login. This gives the impression that your password was not working. (Id is admin)

Did you try to reset the router to factory settings when you were not able to login? (Using router back reset button)

I have jumped back and forth multiple versions in the past up to version .68 & .68SF both NG and Voxel fw without any issue. (.68 is the last NG telnet enabled ver)

Safest option when jumping long versions back and forth is reset the router to factory default settings, before and after updating the fw.

Do you have ssh enabled in voxel fw with keys and automated it with the usb for firmware updates? (Just trying to understand, it was only UI that was not accessible or you were not able to ssh as well)
i tried to restore to factory settings but it didn't work, my voxel fw also jumped a lot, but only with fw .61 got this error, older fws I haven't tried, trc fw .61 then i'm using fw .72 (all of voxel)

i tried to restore to factory settings but it didn't work, my voxel fw also jumped a lot, but only with fw .61 got this error, older fws I haven't tried, trc fw .61 then i'm using fw .72 (all of voxel)
starting with Voxel FW .63 the login/password encryption was changed to match a change by NG. this might be causing your issues.
so if your password is stored by any version .63 or later then older FW wont be able to decipher it correctly.
If you look in the changes.log on the voxel FW website you can see the change noted.

It looks like you never did the router reset properly. I just tried little while ago.

Updated the firmware from .93SF to .61SF from UI.

Reset the router from SSH using below cmds.
nvram default
nvram commit
mtd erase netgear
reboot

(Resetting from router back button should have done the same. That is why I asked if you have SSH enable automated through USB after firmware update, to mention that you can use that to reset router as well.)

Loaded the UI using 192.168.1.1.

Set the new password & security questions and set the router mode through NG setup wizard. And I was in the UI, everything is working after that in .61SF.

It was indeed the incorrect password issue. Reason NetBytes already mentioned. Main purpose of resetting the router was to resolve any ambiguity in the password or any other NVRAM var from previous version.

.61sf.png

I am using both of them as AP [configured as AP].
Each one is at a different remote part of the house providing WiFi coverage (both bands) with a hard wire back to the main router/firewall.
Success! If I configure the second R7800 in AP mode (and not router mode) then the network is stable. But it is still very puzzling why adding a second R7800 in router mode on the same network would knock out my primary gateway, and without any obvious error messages in pfSense .... All I can think of is that it is like some form of router high availability protocol contention (where both routers could act as a primary router), but it is odd when neither is the primary router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!