What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.94SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Each time you will update the firmware, all your custom scripts will be wiped out…

Best solution is to use a USB thumb drive and to have in it the script /autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh to call any script putting your customization scripts in place.
In your case either by copying it to /etc/init.d/dnsmasq from a local copy in your thumb drive or using ln -s to make a soft link of it in the /etc/init.d directory.
Agreed, Here's mine:

Bash:
#!/bin/sh

if [ ! -f "/root/firewall-start.sh" ]
then
  cp /tmp/mnt/$1/firewall-start.sh /root/.
fi

if [ ! -f "/root/.ssh/authorized_keys" ]
then
  mkdir -p /root/.ssh
  cp /tmp/mnt/$1/authorized_keys /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
fi

if [ ! -f "/overlay/etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml " ]; then
  sed -i -r "s/^(server_names[[:space:]]*=[[:space:]]*).*/\1['adguard-dns-doh']/" /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml
fi

It copies my firewall-start.sh, copies my ssh keys, and edits dnscrypt-proxy to use the adguard server.

I have some very basic questions regarding updating by R7800 to Voxel firmware. My questions are so basic I am reluctant to ask but I will go ahead since I need the help.

After having fiber to the premise coiled up and hanging on the corner of my house for 16 months (!), my local provider finally was able to install and light the fiber.

My fiber goes to an ONT and then to R7800. I am currently running Netgear FW 1.0.2.90. My speeds at the ONT are 710 Mbps down and 940 Mbps up, ping is 3.0ms. My main PC is connected by a cat7 patch cord to the R7800. Other devices are all connecting wireless. I have an old ASUS repeater as an additional AP. For reasons I don't understand my speeds at the PC are much less than at the ONT and are currently 60Mbps down and 223 Mbps up.

I would like to update to Voxel's 1.02.94SF firmware and I am looking for some basic idiot resistant steps to do so. I have downloaded the 1.02.94SF zip file to my pc. Here are my basic questions:

• What is the best way to update to the voxel firmware? Just use Routerlogin.net?
  • Once I have updated the FW I believe I need to reset the router. Is reset the same as reboot or does a reset mean using the recessed hard reset button on the back of the router?
  • After flashing FW and reboot (reset?), what are some basic settings I should consider?
I feel like I'm asking Formula One technicians how to change a starter on my pickup truck...

Thank you.

Last edited:
What is the best way to update to the voxel firmware? Just use Routerlogin.net?
Yes and use the firmware update page just like you used to update the NG firmware.

Once I have updated the FW I believe I need to reset the router. Is reset the same as reboot or does a reset mean using the recessed hard reset button on the back of the router?
It is better to reset it once, when you switched the firmware, but it is not necessary. In case you see any issue after firmware update then reset router is the first step. Reset is done by the reset button from the back of your router, it is not same as reboot. All customization like SSID name, SSID password and any other you did from the UI will be reset to factory default, you will have to do it again from the UI.

After flashing FW and reboot (reset?), what are some basic settings I should consider?
It is better you take a backup of your config from the UI when you are done with all the settings after reset, it will make it easier to restore in the future, in case you have to reset it again for whatever reason.

Yes and use the firmware update page just like you used to update the NG firmware.

It is better to reset it once, when you switched the firmware, but it is not necessary. In case you see any issue after firmware update then reset router is the first step. Reset is done by the reset button from the back of your router, it is not same as reboot. All customization like SSID name, SSID password and any other you did from the UI will be reset to factory default, you will have to do it again from the UI.

It is better you take a backup of your config from the UI when you are done with all the settings after reset, it will make it easier to restore in the future, in case you have to reset it again for whatever reason.

Thank you very much! The firmware update was smooth and successful. A reset does not seem to be required. My speeds from the router to the pc via ethernet patch cord have increased substantially. Much appreciated.

SnapShot version 1.0.2.94.4SF

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.18.1->1.18.2.
2. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1n->1.1.1o (fixing CVE-2022-1292, score 9.8, Critical).
3. libxml2 package is upgraded 2.9.13->2.9.14 (fixing CVE-2022-29824, score 6.5, Medium).
4. curl package is upgraded 7.82.0->7.83.1.
5. libubox package is upgraded 2021-11-20->2022-05-15.
6. nano package is upgraded 6.2->6.3.
7. Slight boost adding '-ftree-vectorize' and '-fvect-cost-model=unlimited' flags to compilation options (speed up).

1.0.2.94.1SF changes (included as well):

8. proftpd package is upgraded 1.3.7c->1.3.7d.
9. Upgrade WebGUI LG_VERSION

Voxel.

Last edited:
A big thank you!

I've been running your firmware for many years which has been rock solid!

This version was the last one I will be running, I recently bought an Asus rt-ax86u as primary router.

While 2.94.4 does contain OpenSSL 1.1.1n there are also two other copies of openssl in the firmware.

It also contains 1.0.2u and 0.9.8p. So anything using those copies of openssl would still be vulnerable to the various exploits that apply to them.

What's more openssl 0.9.8p that is included is only as a binary, no source. Probably a GPL violation there.

Netgear only have one openssl version in their 2.90 release, 1.0.2h.

While 2.94.4 does contain OpenSSL 1.1.1n there are also two other copies of openssl in the firmware.

It also contains 1.0.2u and 0.9.8p. So anything using those copies of openssl would still be vulnerable to the various exploits that apply to them.

What's more openssl 0.9.8p that is included is only as a binary, no source. Probably a GPL violation there.

Have you tried to replace the two older ones with the new one (with a symlink to the new one)?
Maybe the old ones are required for some compatibility?

Why the change if your R7800 is rock solid??

Didn't mentioned it indeed: having more and more WiFi 6 devices at home I wanted to upgrade to this standard.

Didn't mentioned it indeed: having more and more WiFi 6 devices at home I wanted to upgrade to this standard.
In that case, yes, the R7800 is not WiFi 6.

However, for me, on the R7800 and with modern WiFi devices, I reach 650 mbps throughput, so more than enough…
I use WiFi only for laptop, phones, tablets and a few IoT devices… The rest is ethernet.

I think Voxel tried to change as much as possible to use the latest openssl version. But not everything was compatible.
According to the change logs:

1.0.2.63SF:
12. OpenSSL: old libraries 0.9.8 are added to fix NG bug (/bin/fbwifi).

1.0.2.67.1SF:
1. curl package: revert to OpenSSL 1.0.2 (to provide compatibility with ReadyCLOUD).
2. opkg package: revert to OpenSSL 1.0.2 (because of using libcurl p.1).

1.0.2.75.1SF:
8. transmission package is changed to use OpenSSL v. 1.0.2 (attept to fix https issue).

interesting thing:
Netgear GPL sources for 1.0.2.90 still has a binary-only fbwifi that is linked against libssl.so.0.9.8. -> if that FW really only has openssl 1.0.2h then it would mean that the Facebook Captivity portal option for the guest-wifi is probably broken.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!