What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.95SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sometimes, the firmware upload page refreshes during the install, but after the upload, and takes me to a default Netgear webpage. I just patiently wait for about 3 minutes to find the firmware upgrade has successfully completed.

Just mentioning this as a quirky thing that can happen...

Sometimes, the firmware upload page refreshes during the install, but after the upload, and takes me to a default Netgear webpage. I just patiently wait for about 3 minutes to find the firmware upgrade has successfully completed.

Just mentioning this as a quirky thing that can happen...
same here, you're not alone

Strange Problem (not a Voxel firmware problem) Resolved

I apologize up front for going off topic but I feel at home on the Voxel threads.

Recently when I test my LAN speed, it's been dropping to 100Mb. Given I have 1Gb fiber, I was perplexed. I have the 7800, a Dlink DGS-1008G switch, and the fiber media converter all powered from the same power strip. I typically reboot all by power cycling the power strip. The LAN would return to 1Gb but would eventually downgrade to 100Mb. Today the LAN remained stuck at 100Mb no matter what I did.

I'll spare all the details I went through which were somewhat extensive and get to the root cause/corrective action. I discovered port 8 on the DGS-1008G switch will not negotiate above 100Mb. Of course, I had the 7800 LAN 1 port connected to port 8 of the DGS-1008G switch. (I don't use the other LAN ports on the 7800). It's been connected like this for years with no issues. The DGS-1008G is my top level switch which connects to other downstream switches so my entire home LAN was running at 100Mb. The fix was to connect the 7800 LAN 1 port to unused port 1 of the DGS-1008G. The LAN is now operating at 1Gb as it should. I moved the only 100Mb device I have (Obitalk 200) and connected it to port 8 of the DGS-1008G since that port is stuck at 100Mb. Seems to be operating ok.

To keep it on topic, as part of my debug effort, I did downgrade from 95SF to 93SF but of course that made no difference. I reinstalled 95SF.

Thanks for your indulgence. :)

After having speed problems with both a DLink and a TPLink switch I made it a rule not to buy cheap switches. Glad you were able to find the problem.
Thanks. I have two other older DLink 1Gb 8 port switches (different models) which seem to work ok. However, I've always presumed dumb switches are pretty much the same. The reason I picked the DGS-1008G switch to connect to the 7800 is that I have a small distribution panel in my bedroom closet. The 1008G was the smallest 1Gb 8 port switch I could find.

What switch(es) do you use?

Thanks. I have two other older DLink 1Gb 8 port switches (different models) which seem to work ok. However, I've always presumed dumb switches are pretty much the same. The reason I picked the DGS-1008G switch to connect to the 7800 is that I have a small distribution panel in my bedroom closet. The 1008G was the smallest 1Gb 8 port switch I could find.

What switch(es) do you use?
I replaced all mine with the NetGear GSxxx switches with the metal casing. Lots out there.. my Dlink would lock up and the TPLink 5 port could not really do 1Gbit.

Continuation of

. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-93sf.78318/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-94sf.78610/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.95SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.94SF):

1. Toolchain: GCC is upgraded 11.3.0->12.1.0.
2. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.18.1->1.18.3.
3. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1n->1.1.1o (fixing CVE-2022-1292, score 9.8, Critical).
4. libxml2 package is upgraded 2.9.13->2.9.14 (fixing CVE-2022-29824, score 6.5, Medium).
5. OpenVPN is upgraded 2.5.6->2.5.7.
6. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.15.0->1.16.0.
7. curl package is upgraded 7.82.0->7.83.1.
8. libubox package is upgraded 2021-11-20->2022-05-15.
9. ubus package is upgraded 2022-02-28->2022-06-01.
10. sysstat package is upgraded 12.5.6->12.6.0.
11. logrotate package is upgraded 3.19.0->3.20.1.
12. OpenSSL 0.9.8 package is upgraded 0.9.8p->0.9.8zg.
13. nano package is upgraded 6.2->6.3.
14. Slight boost adding '-ftree-vectorize' and '-fvect-cost-model=unlimited' flags to compilation options (speed up).
15. proftpd package is upgraded 1.3.7c->1.3.7d.
16. amule: add UPX packing.
17. Upgrade WebGUI LG_VERSION.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.
Dear Voxel,
Thank you for great firmware!
A question regarding updates and security (I am not into the technical terms of this):
Does this vulnerability affect your update for R7800 and does your updates in general improve security of the router?

Thank you in advance!

A question regarding updates and security (I am not into the technical terms of this):
Does this vulnerability affect your update for R7800 and does your updates in general improve security of the router?
https://www.nozominetworks.com/blog...pular-c-standard-library-putting-iot-at-risk/
Thank you in advance!

Interesting. Thank you for sharing. It really affects my builds as well.

I'll prepare the patch of this CVE-2022-30295. Unfortunately it is impossible to upgrade uClibc to newer version because of pre-built binaries in NG/DNI GPL. Manual changes in the codes...

So wait for SnapShot.

Voxel.

SnapShot version: V1.0.2.95.2SF:

1. Toolchain: add patch to uClibc to fix CVE-2022-30295, score 6.5, Medium (Use predictable DNS transaction IDs that may lead to DNS cache poisoning).
2. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package: change the compiler flag '-fvect-cost-model=unlimited'->'-fvect-cost-model=dynamic'.
3. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1o->1.1.1p.
4. iptables: add 'tee' support (iptables-mod-tee/kmod-ipt-tee packages).
5. ethtool package is upgraded 5.17->5.18.

Voxel.

SnapShot version: V1.0.2.95.2SF:

1. Toolchain: add patch to uClibc to fix CVE-2022-30295, score 6.5, Medium (Use predictable DNS transaction IDs that may lead to DNS cache poisoning).
2. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package: change the compiler flag '-fvect-cost-model=unlimited'->'-fvect-cost-model=dynamic'.
3. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1o->1.1.1p.
4. iptables: add 'tee' support (iptables-mod-tee/kmod-ipt-tee packages).
5. ethtool package is upgraded 5.17->5.18.

Voxel.
Boss! Thanks man! I will send u a beer on your donation.

I'm on this firmware for some 10 days now and as of yesterday i've noticed a sudden drop in signal strength on both 2.4 and 5ghz. Normally i had around -40dbm in the proximity of the r7800 and had no trouble getting the signal around the house. As of yesterday i noticed i had no connection in the bedroom (wooden floors, about 2,5/3 meters from the router) and in the living room (brick wall, 2 meters from the router). When standing next the router i now have -87dbm. Double and triple checked all my wireless settings, but nothing changed there. Anybody else familiar with these kind of issues? Could this be due to the latest fw upgrade, or maybe a hardware failure?

I'm on this firmware for some 10 days now and as of yesterday i've noticed a sudden drop in signal strength on both 2.4 and 5ghz. Normally i had around -40dbm in the proximity of the r7800 and had no trouble getting the signal around the house. As of yesterday i noticed i had no connection in the bedroom (wooden floors, about 2,5/3 meters from the router) and in the living room (brick wall, 2 meters from the router). When standing next the router i now have -87dbm. Double and triple checked all my wireless settings, but nothing changed there. Anybody else familiar with these kind of issues? Could this be due to the latest fw upgrade, or maybe a hardware failure?
Rather strange. After several resets, reboots and setting toggling i gave up and posted this question. Ffwd a few hours later, problem gone. I can't see what changed in the meantime, but I'm suspecting some radio component is dying. I'll see how it holds up for now.

Rather strange. After several resets, reboots and setting toggling i gave up and posted this question. Ffwd a few hours later, problem gone. I can't see what changed in the meantime, but I'm suspecting some radio component is dying. I'll see how it holds up for now.
Keep up posted please :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!