What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.98SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@kokishin hello and thanx for this information (y)
I haven't had this problem with my new AppleTV 4K. But I thought it would be wise to give it a fix IP. In case something goes wrong ;)

Thanx for your tests :)
I managed to change the name of the device on my R7800. Well, I just had to rename my AppleTV in its configuration and the name was also changed on my R7800. Silly me :D
But I cannot change its icon. Everytime I choose the AppleTV icon on the router, nothing is happening. The webpage hangs, and that's all.

Have you tried to use the AppleTV icon? Might be a faulty icon.
So I tried a number of devices, including AppleTV, and all of them applied properly and survived logout/re-login.

@LeKeiser
You can verify if it is the browser cache issue or the icon is not saving to the nvram. Run below from ssh/telent:
Code:
nvram show | grep device_list*

Result format:
device_list<number>=<mac-address> _ <icon-number> <device-name-under-attached-devices>

icon-number will be 41 for Apple TV icon.

Last edited:
@LeKeiser
You can verify if it is the browser cache issue or the icon is not saving to the nvram. Run below from ssh/telent:
Code:

Result format:
device_list<number>=<mac-address> _ <icon-number> <device-name-under-attached-devices>

icon-number will be 41 for Apple TV icon.
Hello :)
Thanx a lot for your post (y)

It seems it's not a browser cache issue. I used 2 different computers and 4 different browsers and it's the same thing.
But when I run your commmand, I get :
Code:
root@R7800:/$ nvram show | grep device_list*
device_list 70=F0:B3:EC:11:F6:99 _ 41 AppleTV
This isn't my AppleTV, not the right name, not the right MacAddress.
When I check all my 32 devices connected, I cannot find my new AppleTV.
Maybe there is a way to delete the previous one and manually type the new one?

EDIT : I have some OLD devices listed. Maybe if I could delete those entries, it would fix my actual problem?

Last edited:
I have some OLD devices listed. Maybe if I could delete those entries, it would fix my actual problem?
May be you have reached the limit "Attached Devices" page can accommodate under nvram. (just my guess)

Maybe there is a way to delete the previous one and manually type the new one?
A device that was assigned a name and type (icon) under "Attached Devices" remains in nvram even if it is never connected again to your network. And it will not be visible under "Attached Devices".

Caution: Do it carefully. Open the UI alongside and do not remove a device that is currently visible under "Attached Devices". If you remove a connected device (visible under "Attached Devices" in UI) using below method you will have to re-assign icons for multiple other devices. Take a backup of current config for worst case scenario.

Steps to remove an old "Attached Device" from nvram:

Each device assigned a name and type under "Attached Devices" is stored in 3 nvram variables.

Get these 3 lists by executing these cmds separately:
Code:
nvram show | grep device_name_user_set_*
nvram show | grep device_type_user_set_*
Copy them to some file to minimize mistake.

Step 1:
Find the device from the list of "nvram show | grep device_list*" using mac address and device name that you want to remove. Let's suppose you want to remove:
Code:
device_list10=11:22:33:44:55:66 _ 19 device-name

Step 2:
Now find the device from the list of "nvram show | grep device_name_user_set_*" using the mac address from Step 1. Let's suppose this is the matching entry:
Code:
device_name_user_set_11:22:33:44:55:66=true

Step 3:
Now find the device from the list of "nvram show | grep device_type_user_set_*" using the mac address from Step 1. Let's suppose this is the matching entry:
Code:
device_type_user_set_11:22:33:44:55:66=true

Step 4:
Remove this device by executing below cmds one by one:
Code:
nvram unset device_type_user_set_11:22:33:44:55:66
nvram unset device_name_user_set_11:22:33:44:55:66
nvram unset device_list10

Repeat Steps 1-4 for all the devices you want to remove. Execute cmd "nvram commit" when done with all the devices.

[OR]
Easy method:
Remove all devices under nvram variables:
device_list*
device_name_user_set_*
device_type_user_set_*

Assign name and type (icon) again from UI whenever they are connected and visible under "Attached Devices"

hello @fossil

Thanx a whole bunch for your post and all the infos :)

I've applied what you wrote. I've deleted some old entries, entries that I knew I would never use again. Something like 8 entries or so. Then I did a nvram commit.
When I checked the Attached Devices again, all the icons of almost all the devices were back to standard. I hadn't changed the data of those entries but they were back to the standard icons.
Another weird thing : I still cannot change the icon of my AppleTV. Nothing happens when I click on Apply...
Another weird weird thing : I have three NAS at home. One had lost its icon. I tried to configure it again, and it does the same thing than with my AppleTV : nothing happens when I click on Apply. But my other NAS have the NAS icon, so it's not like if the icon was faulty or...
Again, I have tried setting this up on 2 different computers (MacBook and Linux) and 4 different browsers (Safari, FF, Vivaldi, Edge). And they all do the same : they fail to set up the icons.

I remember there was a way to check the nvram, a command to check if it was faulty or good. But I can't remember what it was and I can't find the link to that solution.

When I checked the Attached Devices again, all the icons of almost all the devices were back to standard. I hadn't changed the data of those entries but they were back to the standard icons.
That side effect was there, I only observed it when an "Attached Device" was removed from the device_list* nvram variable. That is why I specifically mentioned it in the caution, and recommended to take config backup.

I remember there was a way to check the nvram, a command to check if it was faulty or good. But I can't remember what it was and I can't find the link to that solution.
To find out corrupted nand is easy, you just have to reboot the router and your saved settings will be lost. If you want to further dig into that, I think kamoj addon tells you about your nand maker. [OR] you can add code in the /etc/init.d/boot script to find it. Below thread has the code and other details on corrupted nand issue.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-will-no-longer-save-settings-after-reboot.62773/

When I mentioned in my post "May be you have reached the limit Attached Devices page ..." that was not a random guess. It was after looking at this "device_list 70=" in your post. It means that unknown AppleTV is the 70th device in your device_list* in nvram.

I still think you have overloaded device_list* in your nvram.

Last edited:
Again, thanx for your help :)

Weird things though...
For example, I see two entries for the same device.
Code:
device_list52=04:CF:8C:61:53:00 _ 47 Xiaomi Fan
device_list11=04:CF:8C:61:53:00 _ 47 Fan Xiaomi
This fan is only WiFi, not Ethernet. I don't understand how it can be listed twice with the same Mac Address but with a different list number... I don't know which one to remove.

Same thing with my Raspberry Zero :
Code:
device_list72=E4:5F:01:7B:2A:B8 _ 19 RaspiZero
device_list59=E4:5F:01:7B:2A:B8 _ 37 Raspi0
It's using only WiFi. Never Ethernet, it doesn't have one.

Same thing with an Amazon Echo. Listed twice in the Telnet console.

My newly acquired Pixel has also two entries, list12 and list 75...

Also I have a device listed in the GUI but I cannot ping it (it's offline) and I don't see in in the telnet console. Can't find its name or Mac Address. I cannot delete it in the GUI. And of course, I cannot remove it in the console.

Ain't that weird? :(

These duplicate entries in the device_list* nvram indicate that this device was assigned the device name and device type (icon) once from the UI. Then if you change the device name [OR] you re-assign the icon (after loosing the icon) under Attached Devices, it will add a new entry in the device_list* nvram, it does not remove/update the previous entry. One reason you just witnessed for loosing the icon, there are few others as well.

In both of your examples you changed the name of the device. It doesn't matter device is connected through WiFi or ethernet. Attached Devices page shows both of them. The device with the higher device_list* number is the latest entry. So in your examples device_list52 and device_list72 are latest entries for same devices.

That is why I mentioned the easy method in my earlier post to remove all devices under 3 nvram variables. This way you will reset the device_list<number>. Add them again from the "UI > Attached Devices" page for the device that are attached and visible.

Attached Devices UI page sucks. Netgear is unable to provide an interface for removing old device or update the same device number in nvram when name is changed or icon is re-assigned.

Also I have a device listed in the GUI but I cannot ping it (it's offline) and I don't see in in the telnet console. Can't find its name or Mac Address. I cannot delete it in the GUI. And of course, I cannot remove it in the console.
Offline device will not be visible under Attached Devices UI page.

Thanx again for your reply, really appreciate it :)

I guess I should remove all the entries and start anew, right?
But just to be sure : I won't have to reattach all my devices to my router, right? I mean, I won't have to reconfigure each device one by one, reenter my password, and all. Correct?
Also, when you write :
Code:
Easy method:
Remove all devices under nvram variables:
device_list*
device_name_user_set_*
device_type_user_set_*
I have to delete one by one each entry, so something like 70 entries, and then do a nvram commit ? Maybe reboot the router once it's done ?
And then all the devices will reconnect and I'll see then under the GUI in the router, correct ?
There is no command that would in one shot delete all the attached devices, and... ? :D

Thanx for your help :)

Make sure you keep a backup config before proceeding.
"nvram unset" cmd does not accept regular expressions. It makes sense it could be devastating.

Get the 3 lists copy them to some file:
nvram show | grep device_list_*

In all the lists param before = is key and after = is value. "nvram unset" accepts key as parameter.

So get keys from the list add "nvram unset " before them (Notepad++ or any other good editor can speed up the things). After that either paste them all together in the shell [OR] paste them in a shell script and execute it. Execute nvram commit at the end.

I just did a test and removed all values from all 3 lists. Rebooted the router.
Devices connected to the router as usual without entering SSID password again. "UI > Attached Devices" page is showing my connected devices without any icon..
Ran the cmds:
nvram show | grep device_list_*
All 3 lists are empty. Nothing shows up.

The lists will start populating when I assign them icons under UI > Attached Devices page. I have a backup config so I restored them using that ;)

Can you just factory reset it and start over then all it will see are your current devices.

Can you just factory reset it and start over then all it will see are your current devices.
If I factory reset then I'll have to register ALL my devices again, and as you can see, I have quite a lot.
If I'm not mistaken.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!