What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.99SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I did a clean flash of this firmware on my R7800 and for some reason, the download speeds are NOT going above 90 Mbps. On the DDWRT build, I reach close to 500/500 Mbps. There aren't many settings for wifi in Voxel compared to DDWRT and I tried different settings and nothing seems to matter. What could be the reason?

I disabled HT160 and didn't make any difference. I picked different channels and it doesn't go above 90 Mbps.

FWIW, QOS is NOT enabled.

PS: Even on stock (R7800-V1.0.2.92), it doesn't go above 90 Mbps. Not sure what the issue is?

1672444155807.png

1672444249941.png

Hi. I'm new to this, I'll win something using voxel firmware and another question, and I realized that online games work better for me without QOS, why? . StreamBoost? or a hidden netgear setup?

-Netgear R7800
If your internet bandwidth is enough, turn on QOS will slow it down. From my experience, QOS always "reserve" some bandwidth for nothing.
I got a gigabit internet connection(~950 Mbps Up/Down Link). My pc connected to it by wire which got 910 Mbps up/down with QOS and 940 Mbps up/down without QOS, so turn off QOS "release" about 30 Mbps bandwidth.
Also, turn on QOS use more cpu of your router, hence why you feel better without QOS.

I did a clean flash of this firmware on my R7800 and for some reason, the download speeds are NOT going above 90 Mbps. On the DDWRT build, I reach close to 500/500 Mbps. There aren't many settings for wifi in Voxel compared to DDWRT and I tried different settings and nothing seems to matter. What could be the reason?

I disabled HT160 and didn't make any difference. I picked different channels and it doesn't go above 90 Mbps.

FWIW, QOS is NOT enabled.

PS: Even on stock (R7800-V1.0.2.92), it doesn't go above 90 Mbps. Not sure what the issue is?

View attachment 46801

View attachment 46803
Hello,
I've got the same settings than you except :
Advanced Settings :
_ Keep existing wireless settings is checked
_ Enable HT160 is unckecked.

The rest is identical.
Very weird.
You are sure, of course, that you're using the 5GHz channel on your device? Stupid question I know, but I have to make sure :)

Hello,
I've got the same settings than you except :
Advanced Settings :
_ Keep existing wireless settings is checked
_ Enable HT160 is unckecked.

The rest is identical.
Very weird.
You are sure, of course, that you're using the 5GHz channel on your device? Stupid question I know, but I have to make sure :)
Yes, I am using 5 GHz and not sure why it doesn't cross 90 Mbps. I tried stock firmware as well. Same result.

Moved to OpenWrt 22.03 now and get 500+ Mbps and the user interface between Netgear and OpenWrt is night and day! Adding static leases and customization is a breeze in OpenWrt (stored in /etc/config) and couldn't be any happier. Wonder how users put up with a crappy Netgear UI as it feels like I am living in the 1990s. smh

Hello! First time trying out Voxels Firmware. It's been rock solid so far. Love my R7800 and have tried multiple different firmwares (dd-wrt, openwrt, kong, etc). I appreciate all the hard work Voxel. I sent a small donation. Keep up the great work!

If your internet bandwidth is enough, turn on QOS will slow it down. From my experience, QOS always "reserve" some bandwidth for nothing.
I got a gigabit internet connection(~950 Mbps Up/Down Link). My pc connected to it by wire which got 910 Mbps up/down with QOS and 940 Mbps up/down without QOS, so turn off QOS "release" about 30 Mbps bandwidth.
Also, turn on QOS use more cpu of your router, hence why you feel better without QOS.
Apparently it's not (qos) but (WMM-WIFI) I understand that this prioritizes WIFI traffic but it's like the wifi comes first and then my PC and has "higher priority". what I need is for my PC to have priority over other devices. when I have (WMM) disabled my HITREG improves, but when I disable (WMM) my WIFI 5Ghz drops the bandwidth. I don't know if I was wrong about something, but it is what I have noticed that I can do to find an optimal fit

Apparently it's not (qos) but (WMM-WIFI) I understand that this prioritizes WIFI traffic but it's like the wifi comes first and then my PC and has "higher priority". what I need is for my PC to have priority over other devices. when I have (WMM) disabled my HITREG improves, but when I disable (WMM) my WIFI 5Ghz drops the bandwidth. I don't know if I was wrong about something, but it is what I have noticed that I can do to find an optimal fit
IMO you should turn on WMM on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz all the time, otherwise, you will cap your wifi bandwidth under 100 Mbps per device no matter 2.4 or 5 ghz you connect to.
Beside, turning on WMM won't affect the "priority", as long as the "Dynamic QOS" is turn off, it will remain "first come first served".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!