What's new

Custom firmware build for R9000/R8900 v. 1.0.4.38HF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hey Voxel,

Not sure if this should be aimed at you but I've got a really weird one. I haven't performed a factory reset on my R9000 for some time, and previously (like back in 2018) I was running Plex on it, from a USB on "sda1". Plex being Plex generated a lot of logs, sure no worries. Eventually I formatted that USB, stopped running Plex on the device and now keep one in to maintain all my configuration backup, including startup and upgrade shell scripts.

While trying to find all instances of the term "blu-ray" (refer to my most recent post in Kamoj's thread if you want to know why) I ran the following command "grep -r "blu-ray" ./*" from "/" and after only a short time, I start getting (lots of!) results from "./dev/sda1:" and "./dev/sda" of old log files from Plex. Would you have any idea of why this would be, and where all that info is being stored? There is a considerable chunk there.

I'm running a pretty basic setup at the moment, with V1.0.4.38HF + Kamoj-add + 1 IPK you made for me and looking at "addon_routerinfo.htm" I see my: Flash Usage (Used/Total) 87.5 % 448 / 512 MB. Not sure if this is typical for this device. I have plenty of RAM, Disk and NVRAM available and I'm not particularly worried about the latter, but wondering how/what I can do to erase that backlog in my "sda" and "sda1" which grep is somehow able to read.

Cheers,
lateparty

Flash usage is fixed for your firmware, since it is the sum of all existing partitions.
Some of these partitions are little or not used at all, but they use flash memory.
For the R7800 it's: 110 / 128 MB.

and looking at "addon_routerinfo.htm" I see my: Flash Usage (Used/Total) 87.5 % 448 / 512 MB. Not sure if this is typical for this device. I have plenty of RAM, Disk and NVRAM available

Would you have any idea of why this would be, and where all that info is being stored? There is a considerable chunk there.
I guess it is stored in /mnt/sda1/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/...

Voxel.

Voxel, love the addition of WireGuard support. Would it be possible to limit the VPN to a certain internal IP? I'd like the tunnel to stay up between the router and work, however, only allowing my 192.168.1.50 ip for example to make use of it (or lan port). The tunnel isn't a full tunnel btw, it's a split tunnel, so say only, 192.168.10.x traffic from 196.168.1.50 would be allowed, and normal inet traffic flows as originally. Basically, I'm moving the wireguard client from the PC to the router, and only letting my PC on the internal network see it, not my kids, etc.

Voxel or anyone else with a R9000... Looking to see if any has had any experiences with the built in fan. Any one seen it work on it's own or has done any kind of heat test to see if the fan actually comes on if the R9000 is heated up. Seeing some posts about the fan not working on stock FW. Voxel, is this feature in your domain access in FW or a NG non accessible feature?

Voxel or anyone else with a R9000... Looking to see if any has had any experiences with the built in fan. Any one seen it work on it's own or has done any kind of heat test to see if the fan actually comes on if the R9000 is heated up. Seeing some posts about the fan not working on stock FW. Voxel, is this feature in your domain access in FW or a NG non accessible feature?
Thank you for report. I'll check later. Currently I am far away of my R9000...

Voxel.

Voxel, love the addition of WireGuard support. Would it be possible to limit the VPN to a certain internal IP? I'd like the tunnel to stay up between the router and work, however, only allowing my 192.168.1.50 ip for example to make use of it (or lan port). The tunnel isn't a full tunnel btw, it's a split tunnel, so say only, 192.168.10.x traffic from 196.168.1.50 would be allowed, and normal inet traffic flows as originally. Basically, I'm moving the wireguard client from the PC to the router, and only letting my PC on the internal network see it, not my kids, etc.

Well. Your scheme is a bit "out-of-design" of my WG client scheme. Usually people need every device is using VPN and only few exceptions. You need everything as an exception and only single computer is using VPN...

I am sure that your scheme could be implemented. But rather manually. I cannot provide you ready-to-use solution w/o actual testing. Sorry.

If you are experienced in Linux: all the scheme is inside /etc/init.d/wg-client and /usr/sbin/net-wall. So ip, route, iptables, wg....

Probable you do not need to pass all your traffic through VPN but just to access you work LAN... So not

AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0

but concrete IP of your working place...

Voxel.

Thank you for your time Voxel. We wait patiently. ;)

Thank you for report. I'll check later. Currently I am far away of my R9000...

Voxel.

Looking to see if any has had any experiences with the built in fan. Any one seen it work on it's own or has done any kind of heat test to see if the fan actually comes on if the R9000 is heated up. Seeing some posts about the fan not working on stock FW. Voxel, is this feature in your domain access in FW or a NG non accessible feature?

FYI: I've tested a bit. Not by overheat test but just decreasing (temporary) critical temperature values for a CPU in "Fan Algorithm" using debug page:

http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm

I.e. less that 55C degrees. Current CPU temperature is 55C degrees. After that I definitely hear the fan noise (right fan).

So at least seems it is working with my build.

Voxel.

Thank you Voxel.

Ok so this should work in the other direction if the actual heat temperatures increased beyond the trigger temp value, the fan should turn on. I'll pass this along.
So is the fan feature something that you can make modifications too in the FW?
FYI: I've tested a bit. Not by overheat test but just decreasing (temporary) critical temperature values for a CPU in "Fan Algorithm" using debug page:

I.e. less that 55C degrees. Current CPU temperature is 55C degrees. After that I definitely hear the fan noise (right fan).

So at least seems it is working with my build.

Voxel.

So is the fan feature something that you can make modifications too in the FW?

I do not change this in my build. Anybody (even official firmware users) can tune this using

Maybe this feature is broken now by NG (it happens sometimes). But is working still in my build. BTW, kamoj add-on deals with this too...

FYI: default values for fan trigger are stored in the nvram:

nvram show | grep -i temp
Code:
temp_low_h=75
temp_low_l=70
temp_high_h=80
temp_high_l=75
. . .

Voxel.

This is great information. Thank you Voxel. ;)
I do not change this in my build. Anybody (even official firmware users) can tune this using

Maybe this feature is broken now by NG (it happens sometimes). But is working still in my build. BTW, kamoj add-on deals with this too...

FYI: default values for fan trigger are stored in the nvram:

nvram show | grep -i temp
Code:
temp_low_h=75
temp_low_l=70
temp_high_h=80
temp_high_l=75
. . .

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!