What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R9000/R8900 v. 1.0.4.51HF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000.40125/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-r8900-v-1-0-4-49hf.71217/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-r8900-v-1-0-4-50hf.71991/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.4.51HF.

Changes (vs 1.0.4.50HF):

1. Toolchain: GCC is upgraded 10.3.0->11.1.0.
2. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.16.3->1.16.4.
3. wireguard package is upgraded 1.0.20210219->1.0.20210424.
4. wireguard-tools package is upgraded 1.0.20210315->1.0.20210424.
5. OpenVPN is upgraded 2.5.1->2.5.2.
6. cifs-utils package is upgraded 6.12->6.13.
7. libubox package is upgraded 2021-03-02->2021-05-16.
8. libgcrypt package is upgraded 1.8.7->1.9.3.
9. libgpg-error package is upgraded 1.39->1.42.
10. nano package is upgraded 5.6.1->5.7.
11. ethtool package is upgraded 5.10->5.12.
12. netatalk-utility: fix error message for '/etc/init.d/forked-daapd start|stop' if there is no such file.
13. amule, libcrypto++, wxWidgets: add support of compilation by GCC 11.
14. samba-scripts: add possibility to use custom user's config '/etc/config/samba/user.conf'.
(Now it is possible to use custom user's config for samba. Just save your custom​
config as '/etc/config/samba/user.conf' and it will be used instead of generation of the​
new config)​

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

14. samba-scripts: add possibility to use custom user's config '/etc/config/samba/user.conf'.
(Now it is possible to use custom user's config for samba. Just save your custom​
config as '/etc/config/samba/user.conf' and it will be used instead of generation of the​
new config)​

Have I understood right that /etc/config/samba/user.conf will be used instead of the /etc/config/samba/smb.conf and the /etc/samba/smb.conf?
How does the /etc/config/samba/ relate to the /etc/samba/?

Last edited:
Have I understood right that /etc/config/samba/user.conf will be used instead of the /etc/config/samba/smb.conf and the /etc/samba/smb.conf?
How does the /etc/config/samba/ relate to the /etc/samba/?
/etc/config/samba/user.conf will be used instead of default /etc/samba/smb.conf generated anew every time you reboot your router. I.e. any changes for samba (ReadySHARE) in WebGUI will be ignored. And your own /etc/config/samba/user.conf will be just copied as /etc/samba/smb.conf.

/etc/config/samba/smb.conf. Well. It is left w/o changes when integrated from the stock, but de facto it is not used. At all. samba is started using /etc/samba/smb.conf and the last is generated (/etc/samba is symlink to /tmp/samba)

Voxel.

@Voxel Would that be possible to include or build a separate FWs that would include / exclude @kamoj addon? Ideally if the addon VPN configs would be preserved as well, which is not the case now. I am not sure if that is possible or if it is too much work perhaps? I understand you do not want to be responsible for something you did not create, which is why I have suggested 2 separate FWs. Perhaps you have some better idea of how this could work without having to reinstall @kamoj addon and setup VPN configs again?

For example I know a VPN named Astrill that has created an applet, which works well since years on Merlin FW. Regardless of whether Merlin issues minor or major FW upgrade, Astrill applet is never gone. I know it requires JFFS partition to be enabled and the applet installs itself there.

@Voxel. Your past two firmware versions have broken Plex and it can no longer load after its first run. When the router reboots, Plex will no longer start. It's as if something in your firmware has broken compatibility with plex. I would like your help in possibly fixing the problem at a firmware level so I can reliably use it again. I want your latest firmware, but I am stuck on a version that actually works with Plex.

It's as if something in your firmware has broken compatibility with plex.
No. I had to check your alarm. Flashing V1.0.4.47HF instead of current 1.0.4.51HF. I.e not two past version but older version (Jan 2021). This version was OK with Plex. Absolutely. Now it is not. Does not work.

So either problems on Plex side or NG.

I confirm that there are problems with Plex now. But they are also with versions where Plex was working. Check with the stock if you have a time. I think you should get the same results.

I hope problems are temporary. And NG/Plex should be able to fix them. It is not me who breaks the compatibility with Plex.

Voxel.

No. I had to check your alarm. Flashing V1.0.4.47HF instead of current 1.0.4.51HF. I.e not two past version but older version (Jan 2021). This version was OK with Plex. Absolutely. Now it is not. Does not work.

So either problems on Plex side or NG.

I confirm that there are problems with Plex now. But they are also with versions where Plex was working. Check with the stock if you have a time. I think you should get the same results.

I hope problems are temporary. And NG/Plex should be able to fix them. It is not me who breaks the compatibility with Plex.

Voxel.
Are you willing to admit that this is something to do with a change you made to the firmware??? Plex works absolutely fine on .49. Don't put words in my mouth. Check the differences between the 2, and fix it, please. Plex is an integral part of my setup, and I don't wish to be left behind on new versions. Latest stock firmware works just fine with Plex. So, it's a confirmed fact that it's something in your firmware that you had changed.

Plex works absolutely fine on .49
Please screenshot. Mine is now:

1623688005205.png

Voxel.

You could always check your DNS for issues...your DNS must face the router and not cloudflare or some crap, in order to get the page to load. That or use 192.168.1.1/plex. Simple stuff man.

1623689460881.png
1623689480964.png

That or use 192.168.1.1/plex. Simple stuff man.
My IP is not 192.168.1.1.

Well, there is really sleeping bug inside archive with Plex (this archive is downloaded and installed from the Plex site). Maybe it is prepared by NG, maybe by Plex team. But bug. Rather it is NG bug because of using the command "config get". Not visible bug (i.e. still sleeping) e.g. in 49HF.

Details of bug are that there is script file /tmp/plexmediaserver/1.19.5.3112-b23ab3896/plexmediaserver.sh which starts PLEX and the following lines inside (red):

. . .
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${SCRIPTPATH}/lib:/tmp/plexmediaserver/extra_libs"
export GCONV_PATH="/tmp/plexmediaserver/extra_libs/gconv"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_HOME="${SCRIPTPATH}"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_PLUGIN_PROCS=6
export PLEX_BROWSER_ROOT="/tmp/mnt"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="$(config get plex_file_path)/Library/Application Support"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_DISABLE_AUTOUPDATES=1
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_DEFAULT_PREFERENCES="ScannerLowPriority=true&DlnaEnabled=false&TranscoderVideoResolutionLimit=704x480&TranscoderH264Preset=ultrafast"
export LC_ALL="C"
export LANG="C"

export TMPDIR="$(config get plex_file_path)"
. . .

I.e. when script is executed it spoils default LD_LIBRARY_PATH (i.e. /lib and /usr/lib are excluded). As a result the command 'config' is crashed and PLEX is not started.

Remedy is to to move setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in this script after command 'config'. I.e. if you change it by 'nano' editor to

. . .

export GCONV_PATH="/tmp/plexmediaserver/extra_libs/gconv"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_HOME="${SCRIPTPATH}"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_PLUGIN_PROCS=6
export PLEX_BROWSER_ROOT="/tmp/mnt"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="$(config get plex_file_path)/Library/Application Support"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_DISABLE_AUTOUPDATES=1
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_DEFAULT_PREFERENCES="ScannerLowPriority=true&DlnaEnabled=false&TranscoderVideoResolutionLimit=704x480&TranscoderH264Preset=ultrafast"
export LC_ALL="C"
export LANG="C"

export TMPDIR="$(config get plex_file_path)"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${SCRIPTPATH}/lib:/tmp/plexmediaserver/extra_libs"
. . .

your PLEX will be workable.

It is a bug. But not mine.

I have to think what to do with this in the next release. Because installed PLEX is not a part of firmware, but downloaded and installed.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!