What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R9000/R8900 v. 1.0.4.66HF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000.40125/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-r8900-v-1-0-4-64hf.81531/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-r8900-v-1-0-4-65hf.82440/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.4.66HF.

Changes (vs 1.0.4.65HF):

1. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded 2.39->2.40.
2. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.18.9->1.19.5.
3. libid3tag package is upgraded 0.15.1b->0.16.2 (fixing CVE-2017-11550).
(score 5.5, Medium)​
4. ipset package is upgraded 7.16->7.17.
5. curl package is upgraded 7.86.0->7.87.0.
6. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.17.0->1.17.1.
7. getdns package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.7.2->1.7.3.
8. stubby package is upgraded 0.4.2->0.4.3.
9. ncurses package is upgraded 6.3->6.4.
10. libpcap package is upgraded 1.10.1->1.10.3.
11. tcpdump package is upgraded 4.99.1->4.99.3.
12. ethtool package is upgraded 6.0->6.1.
13. ubus package is upgraded 2022-06-01->2022-06-15.
14. nano package is upgraded 7.1->7.2.
15. sysstat package is upgraded 12.7.1->12.7.2.
16. Host tools: upgrade mkimage/u-boot to 2023.01.
17. Host tools: upgrade genext2fs to 1.5.0.
18. Host tools: upgrade xz to 5.4.1.
19. Host tools: upgrade mpfr to 4.2.0.
20. Host tools: upgrade UPX to 4.0.2.

[Updated]

SnapShot version 1.0.4.66.2HF is available:

1. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1s->1.1.1t (fixing CVE-2022-4304, CVE-2022-4450, CVE-2023-0215, CVE-2023-0286).
CVE-2023-0286, High severity.​
CVE-2023-0215, Moderate severity.​
CVE-2022-4450, Moderate severity.​
CVE-2022-4304, Moderate severity.​
2. e2fsprogs package is upgraded 1.46.5->1.46.6 (fixing CVE-2022-1304).
(score 7.8, High)​
3. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 is upgraded 2.1.2->2.1.4.
4. dbus package is upgraded 1.14.4->1.14.6.
5. Host tools: upgrade e2fsprogs to 1.46.6 (fixing CVE-2022-1304).
(score 7.8, High)​

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Last edited:
Dirty update from v1.0.4.65HF to v1.0.4.66HF via an Ethernet connection with Firefox on Windows 10.

Smooth update with version number, progress bars, and etc. as expected. Did not have to log back into the router after the update. So far so good.

:)

@Voxel Thank you!

Hey Voxel, love your work, we've been using your firmware for years. I had some issues with this version 1.0.4.66 and had to downgrade to 1.0.4.65 which is working fine at the moment.

After the upgrade to .66 from .58 the latency was extremely slow and the router itself kept dropping everyone's connection after a minute or so. It's like the router would boot up fine, handle the first few requests at an acceptable speed before quickly degrading connection/latency before dropping everyone's requests entirely. This cycle would repeat ad infinitum. In fact the Firmware Upgrade page on the router's admin panel kept failing after I tried uploading .65 to downgrade. My workaround was to hard reboot the router by unplugging the power for a few seconds and that would give me and the router just enough time to successfully use the Firmware Upgrade page.

One caveat like I mentioned is that I was initially upgrading from version .58 so maybe that's got something to do with it? Also after upgrading my routers I like to perform a quick test by loading fast.com and some of my usual websites. The three things I noticed on fast.com using .66 is that 1) the time for the test to start and ramp up took a lot longer. Usually within a second of loading the website it's already showing me my peak average download speed. 2) the loaded latency was in the 70s as opposed to low 10s. 3) the upload test basically never started, as if the browser lost connection with the fast.com test server by the time the download test finished. When the upload test did start it would peak at only a fraction of what I usually get. maybe 100mpbs upload rather than 600-700 as usual.

Anyway, I just wanted to let others know in case they were having the same problem as I did. Like I said, .65 works fine for now but I'm a little scared to try .67 when that comes out lol. I can't try the .66 firmware again to experiment further because too many people rely on this router to get their work done at home.

I apologize I could not provide any more details or help.

Hey Voxel, love your work, we've been using your firmware for years. I had some issues with this version 1.0.4.66 and had to downgrade to 1.0.4.65 which is working fine at the moment.

After the upgrade to .66 from .58 the latency was extremely slow and the router itself kept dropping everyone's connection after a minute or so. It's like the router would boot up fine, handle the first few requests at an acceptable speed before quickly degrading connection/latency before dropping everyone's requests entirely. This cycle would repeat ad infinitum. In fact the Firmware Upgrade page on the router's admin panel kept failing after I tried uploading .65 to downgrade. My workaround was to hard reboot the router by unplugging the power for a few seconds and that would give me and the router just enough time to successfully use the Firmware Upgrade page.

One caveat like I mentioned is that I was initially upgrading from version .58 so maybe that's got something to do with it? Also after upgrading my routers I like to perform a quick test by loading fast.com and some of my usual websites. The three things I noticed on fast.com using .66 is that 1) the time for the test to start and ramp up took a lot longer. Usually within a second of loading the website it's already showing me my peak average download speed. 2) the loaded latency was in the 70s as opposed to low 10s. 3) the upload test basically never started, as if the browser lost connection with the fast.com test server by the time the download test finished. When the upload test did start it would peak at only a fraction of what I usually get. maybe 100mpbs upload rather than 600-700 as usual.

Anyway, I just wanted to let others know in case they were having the same problem as I did. Like I said, .65 works fine for now but I'm a little scared to try .67 when that comes out lol. I can't try the .66 firmware again to experiment further because too many people rely on this router to get their work done at home.

I apologize I could not provide any more details or help.

Your problem is very strange. For example I am using right now R9000 with 1.0.4.66.2HF w/o any issue (Wi-Fi). Both wireless and cable connections are in use by my family. My second R9000 also works without problems elsewhere. The speed there is up to 450Mbit (that's the limit at that other place).

66HF vs 65HF does not contain anything extreme such as QCA driver updates or kernel level changes.

Do you happen to use QoS?

The only thing is that the binutils update allowed for a more compact version of the firmware (reduced size of the resulting binaries). But this should not affect the Internet speed.

Maybe you should have reset to factory settings. And set up the router from scratch.

Voxel.

Hi Voxel

I had been experiencing difficulties updating the firmware for the previous few updates. Firstly, stopping part way through and having to resort to resetting everything to factory settings (thanks to Kamoj for his FAQ instructions on how to wipe everything) and reinstalling via TFTP. With version 1.0.4.65 I was experiencing some issues that had slowly been getting worse and not improving with that update – frequent inability to access internet from devices as the router was dropping the connection.

Was all set to try a complete wipe and reinstall again when 1.0.4.66 came out. I decide to do a complete wipe and reinstall. Firstly I removed Kamoj’s addon then “updated” to an older version of Netgear (with telnet access). Did a complete wipe to reset to factory settings followed by an update to Voxel 1.0.4.66, reinstalled Kamoj addon and all my settings. I have then updated to 66.1 & 66.2 (dirty updates) without any problems.

Whilst I was unable to track down what was causing the previous updating problems or the dropping of the internet I think that something in the router had glitched and was not clearing properly during previous updates TFTP updates that finally cleared with the latest attempt. Both Voxel 1.0.4.66.2 and Kamoj Addon V5.5b27 are now working properly and smoothly.

In conclusion, if things are glitching and nothing else seems to resolve the problem then then a reset and start from a full factory reset may work, if not the first time perhaps the second or third (more than that in my case).

PS, the full factory reset is not for the fainthearted – as Kamoj points out “WARNING: this may brick your router” and a couple of times I thought I might have.

Many thanks to Voxel for his continuing updates and support and also to Kamoj for his addon and very helpful FAQs – long may they continue

Panner

Hi Voxel,

After updating to V1.0.4.66HF, my internet (not wifi) has been randomly dropping multiple times each day. The only way to fix the dropped internet is to go to BASIC TAB, Home, click on the internet icon, and it will say Detecting the internet.connection... this process will take a minute or two. After about 10-20 seconds, the internet will work again. I'm sure it's not my modem or wired connection because the ISP checked the signal and nothing is wrong.

Another thing I noticed is everytime the internet drops, and if I had set a custom DNS to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8, it is cleared and goes back to automatically obtain DNS from ISP. Not sure if that relates to anything.

My setup is very simple, I have a cable modem with an ethernet cable plugged into the WAN port of the R9000.

Does anyone have suggestions of a fix? This is definitely a new problem after updating the firmware. I'm thinking if it's safe to downgrade to an older verison of the firmware? (I have never done this before).

Update: I tried updating to V1.0.4.66.2HF, same issue!

Last edited:
Hi Voxel,

After updating to V1.0.4.66HF, my internet (not wifi) has been randomly dropping multiple times each day. The only way to fix the dropped internet is to go to BASIC TAB, Home, click on the internet icon, and it will say Detecting the internet.connection... this process will take a minute or two. After about 10-20 seconds, the internet will work again. I'm sure it's not my modem or wired connection because the ISP checked the signal and nothing is wrong.

Another thing I noticed is everytime the internet drops, and if I had set a custom DNS to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8, it is cleared and goes back to automatically obtain DNS from ISP. Not sure if that relates to anything.

My setup is very simple, I have a cable modem with an ethernet cable plugged into the WAN port of the R9000.

Does anyone have suggestions of a fix? This is definitely a new problem after updating the firmware. I'm thinking if it's safe to downgrade to an older verison of the firmware? (I have never done this before).

TOPIC FOR A NEW THREAD

Before changing anything on your router, recommend you confirm for yourself whether or not the signal level to the modem or the modem itself could be the problem. It is too easy for the ISP to say "everything is fine".

Hi Voxel,

Probably it has a sense to perform full factory reset and to setup everyting again from the scratch.

Seel this message (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...or-r9000-r8900-v-1-0-4-66hf.83325/post-822946):

In conclusion, if things are glitching and nothing else seems to resolve the problem then then a reset and start from a full factory reset may work, if not the first time perhaps the second or third (more than that in my case).

Voxel.

Hi Voxel

I had been experiencing difficulties updating the firmware for the previous few updates. Firstly, stopping part way through and having to resort to resetting everything to factory settings (thanks to Kamoj for his FAQ instructions on how to wipe everything) and reinstalling via TFTP. With version 1.0.4.65 I was experiencing some issues that had slowly been getting worse and not improving with that update – frequent inability to access internet from devices as the router was dropping the connection.

Was all set to try a complete wipe and reinstall again when 1.0.4.66 came out. I decide to do a complete wipe and reinstall. Firstly I removed Kamoj’s addon then “updated” to an older version of Netgear (with telnet access). Did a complete wipe to reset to factory settings followed by an update to Voxel 1.0.4.66, reinstalled Kamoj addon and all my settings. I have then updated to 66.1 & 66.2 (dirty updates) without any problems.

Whilst I was unable to track down what was causing the previous updating problems or the dropping of the internet I think that something in the router had glitched and was not clearing properly during previous updates TFTP updates that finally cleared with the latest attempt. Both Voxel 1.0.4.66.2 and Kamoj Addon V5.5b27 are now working properly and smoothly.

PS, the full factory reset is not for the fainthearted – as Kamoj points out “WARNING: this may brick your router” and a couple of times I thought I might have.

Many thanks to Voxel for his continuing updates and support and also to Kamoj for his addon and very helpful FAQs – long may they continue

Panner
Hi Panner,

I am experiencing the same problem as you (router is randomly dropping Internet connection with modem), I'm just wondering how you did the factory reset as I don't want to brick the router.

I'm already on 66.2. Do I just press the reset button for 10s?

Thank you!

Hi Michael

Before going for the “nuclear” option which wipes everything back to when it came out of the box and requires accessing the router shell/prompt via telnet, I suggest trying the following

1 Downgrade to an older version of Netgear software (I use R9000-V1.0.4.34 as this still has telnet access)

2 In the GUI: Advanced: Administration: Backup Settings: "Revert to factory default settings": Erase, Yes; or use e.g. a paper clip or tooth picker to press and hold the "pinhole" reset button until the lights change, about 7 to 10 seconds. This will clear all personal settings incl password back to factory setting

3 Setup basic router info, name & password

4 Change to the Voxel firmware you want to use

5 Reinstall all your personal settings and if you are not using it turn off the 60ghz wifi

If that does not work then there is a more advanced way of clearing all settings, not just personal data – this requires inputting commands through the router shell/prompt – accessed via telnet. Can provide the details if the above does not improve things

PS: My system is running a lot better now but still occasionally drops the internet connection. This is usually when my ISP changes my public IP address, it is changed every 4 hours, and as I also have the Kamoj addon and a VPN running on the router it occasionally glitches. Usually resets itself without a problem but occasionally I still have to reboot the router or reapply the internet settings.

Panner

Hi Michael

Before going for the “nuclear” option which wipes everything back to when it came out of the box and requires accessing the router shell/prompt via telnet, I suggest trying the following

1 Downgrade to an older version of Netgear software (I use R9000-V1.0.4.34 as this still has telnet access)

2 In the GUI: Advanced: Administration: Backup Settings: "Revert to factory default settings": Erase, Yes; or use e.g. a paper clip or tooth picker to press and hold the "pinhole" reset button until the lights change, about 7 to 10 seconds. This will clear all personal settings incl password back to factory setting

3 Setup basic router info, name & password

4 Change to the Voxel firmware you want to use

5 Reinstall all your personal settings and if you are not using it turn off the 60ghz wifi

If that does not work then there is a more advanced way of clearing all settings, not just personal data – this requires inputting commands through the router shell/prompt – accessed via telnet. Can provide the details if the above does not improve things

PS: My system is running a lot better now but still occasionally drops the internet connection. This is usually when my ISP changes my public IP address, it is changed every 4 hours, and as I also have the Kamoj addon and a VPN running on the router it occasionally glitches. Usually resets itself without a problem but occasionally I still have to reboot the router or reapply the internet settings.

Panner
Thank you Panner!

Just one question, to downgrade my firmware, is there a special process?

Or can I just select an older voxel firmware .img file and upload it in the router gui as usual?

Thanks!

Hi Michael

Upload the older firmware in the GUI just as you would a newer one - if it queries it being an older firmware just confirm OK and continue the update.

If you have Voxel already installed then use an older Netgear Firmware before resetting and installing the latest Voxel firmware. The switching of firmwares between Voxel and Netgear can help. In addition it is essential if you have to go the more advanced route. The older Netgear Firmware can be downloaded from the Netgear site under previous versions.

Panner

Hi Michael

<< SNIP >>

Panner
Panner,

I am a long time observer here and know Michael appreciates your help. I need to take issue with your description of the "nuclear" option. The process you describe does not wipe everything back to when the device came out of the box. The firmware version that is installed afterward is the same version that was installed when you started. The firmware that was installed when the device came out of the box is an entirely different version and the "nuclear" option does not roll back the version of the firmware.

The process you described resets all of the settings back to the default values for the firmware version that is presently installed.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!