What's new

Custom firmware build for R9000 v. 1.0.4.31HF & 1.0.4.31.1HF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000.40125/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-v-1-0-4-29hf-1-0-4-29hf-hw.55877/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-v-1-0-4-30hf-1-0-4-30hf-hw.56653/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.4.31HF.

Changes (vs 1.0.4.30HF):

1. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1c package is added.
2. OpenSSL v. 1.0.2 package is upgraded 1.0.2r->1.0.2s.
3. OpenVPN package is changed to use OpenSSL v. 1.1.1.
4. OpenVPN server(s) is(are) slightly optimized.
5. OpenVPN client now could be used simultaneously with OpenVPN server(s) (no necessity to disable server(s) from GUI).
6. unbound package (used in stubby) is changed to use OpenSSL v. 1.1.1.
7. getdns package (used in stubby) is changed to use OpenSSL v. 1.1.1.
8. Because of "6." and "7.": stubby is set to support TLSv1.3 with cloudflare (DoT).
9. wget package is changed to use OpenSSL v. 1.1.1.
10. transmission package is changed to use OpenSSL v. 1.1.1.
11. curl package is upgraded 7.64.1->7.65.0.
12. curl package is changed to use OpenSSL v. 1.1.1.
13. opkg package is changed to use OpenSSL v. 1.1.1.
14. uci package is upgraded 2018-08-11->2019-05-17.
15. util-linux package is upgraded 2.33->2.33.1.
16. openssh-client add-on is changed to use OpenSSL v. 1.1.1.

[updated]

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.4.31.1HF.

Changes (vs 1.0.4.31HF):

1. curl package: revert to OpenSSL 1.0.2 (to provide compatibility with ReadyCLOUD).
2. opkg package: revert to OpenSSL 1.0.2 (because of using libcurl p.1).
3. curl package is upgraded 7.65.0->7.65.1.
4. libubox package is upgraded 2019-02-27->2019-06-16.
5. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 is upgraded 2.0.23->2.0.25.
6. unbound package (stubby) is upgraded 1.9.1->1.9.2.
7. libjson-c package is upgraded 0.12.1->0.13.1.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Last edited:
Info for Entware users: Entware is upgraded.

Most probably it is enough to run:

Code:
/opt/bin/opkg update
/opt/bin/opkg upgrade

to upgrade your version. But it is recommended to install it anew. The reason of recommendation: compiler is changed (gcc 7.3->gcc7.4) and OpenSSL v. 1.0.2 -> OpenSSL 1.1.1

P.S.
I am disappearing: vacations. So there could be not answered requests, sorry.

Voxel.

P.S.
I am disappearing: vacations. So there could be not answered requests, sorry.

Voxel.

Ah! So you're a magician too! :)

Happy and safe holidays! :)

Voxel is there any plans to fixed this build like you did with the R7800 build? I use both a R9000 & R7800 in my household along with a pihole adblocked. With the latest firmwares before you fixed the R7800 one i was getting so many blocked dns requests on my network it was bogging down the whole system.

Voxel is there any plans to fixed this build like you did with the R7800 build? I use both a R9000 & R7800 in my household along with a pihole adblocked. With the latest firmwares before you fixed the R7800 one i was getting so many blocked dns requests on my network it was bogging down the whole system.

You know, R7800 owners are much more active. There are a lot of alarms for R7800 and no at all for R9000. So I could assume that there are no issues for R9000...

I do NOT use on regular basis any ReadyCLOUD or hipplay/kwilt disabling them for both R7800 and R9000, so I might be missing such problems. I do enable ReadyCLOUD only for testing (temporary) when issue is reported, my settings:

Code:
nvram set nocloud=1
nvram set nokwilt=1
nvram commit

Voxel.

P.S.

The answer is "yes". The same problems with R9000?

Voxel.
Yes same problems with the R9000, I do not use readycloud either but for some reason the last firmware was trying to reach out to netgears servers and it was being blocked by my pihole adblocker. Normally I wouldn't be too concerned but it was trying to connect so often I was showing 40k dns requests an hour.

I'm also having the "registration.ngxcld.com" issue with over 1.3 million queries per hour. It starts immediately after the router boots and happens every second for an unknown amount of time (approx. 24-72hrs+) and then doesn't occur again until reboot. I have all cloud services disabled as well as anything to do with connecting to Netgear.

Thank you for the temporary workaround and as always the phenomenal firmware! :)

Guess I should read the manuals, never knew this! Had to Google them.

But, Readycloud and Kwilt files are installed in the firmware and turned on by default? Guess I will be turning them off as I have never had a need for them.

But, Readycloud and Kwilt files are installed in the firmware and turned on by default?
Yes.

If you turn them off by commands above, these setting will be kept even after flashing my new FW. I.e. no necessity to turn them off again. They will be not installed.

Voxel.

Reactions: Gar
Yes.

If you turn them off by commands above, these setting will be kept even after flashing my new FW. I.e. no necessity to turn them off again. They will be not installed.

Voxel.
Thanks for that info.

Any need to add "set transmission_disable=1"? Does disable=0 enable it if I have issues?

Other thought: if I reinstalled 67.1sf again with settings changed would readyclound be removed?

Last edited:
Any need to add "set transmission_disable=1"? Does disable=0 enable it if I have issues?
Yes you can enable it setting "disable" to "0". Or just

Code:
nvram unset transmission_disable
nvram commit

(I prefer to disable everything what I do not use. ReadyCLOUD, KWILT, Transmission, NG Downloader, ftp/http sharing etc.)

Other thought: if I reinstalled 67.1sf again with settings changed would readyclound be removed?

No for the same version of fw. When you flash new version it will be just not installed, Manual removing of ReadyCLOUD (if it is disabled already) is possible:

Code:
cd /opt
rm -rf leafp2p rcagent remote xagent dirlist filelist version
cd /
rmdir /opt
cd /usr/lib
rm -f libreadycloud.so
cd /www/cgi-bin
rm -f genie.cgi readycloud_control.cgi

"rmdir /opt" is optional because /opt could be used for Entware of kamoj add-on.

Voxel.

Yes you can enable it setting "disable" to "0". Or just

Code:
nvram unset transmission_disable
nvram commit

(I prefer to disable everything what I do not use. ReadyCLOUD, KWILT, Transmission, NG Downloader, ftp/http sharing etc.)

No for the same version of fw. When you flash new version it will be just not installed, Manual removing of ReadyCLOUD (if it is disabled already) is possible:

Code:
cd /opt
rm -rf leafp2p rcagent remote xagent dirlist filelist version
cd /
rmdir /opt
cd /usr/lib
rm -f libreadycloud.so
cd /www/cgi-bin
rm -f genie.cgi readycloud_control.cgi

"rmdir /opt" is optional because /opt could be used for Entware of kamoj add-on.

Voxel.
Thanks alot!

I too like stuff turned off that I don't use. Will look into how to disable NG Downloader, ftp/http sharing and others I can find.

Last edited:
Hello Voxel,

Still following and running your firmware without much issues. I hope you can help me with some questions I have:
- I want to run rclone on my R9000. I got the binary on my system but I can't mount drive since I need "fusermount". Any change you can add that to the firmware?
- I use the PlexServer a lot, but it seems we are forgotten and it's not updated anymore. I know there are builds floating around on plex forums etc for all sorts of systems. Do you know if (and how) we can upgrade the PlexServer on our router without having to wait for an "official build"?

Thanks in advance!

There is an updated version of the firmware and still no HW-accelerated build.
Was the HW-acceleration support dropped, or it could appear in the future firmware releases?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!