What's new

Custom firmware build for R9000 v. 1.0.4.33HF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000.40125/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-v-1-0-4-31hf-1-0-4-31-1hf.56941/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-v-1-0-4-32hf.57647/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.4.33HF.

Changes (vs 1.0.4.32HF):

1. QoS DB is updated to v1.58
2. libreadline: fixing read-only attribute for target libraries to provide strip of binary (saving space).
3. amule, libcrypto++, wxWidgets: optimization of size (saving space).
4. libunistring is removed (not needed, saving space).
5. libogg is removed (not needed, saving space).
6. Transmission: change of GUI. transmission-web-control package is added and standard transmission-web is removed.
7. OpenSSL package: unification of Makefile (identical with R7800 version).
8. lz4 package is upgraded 1.9.1->1.9.2
9. lz4 package: unification of Makefile (identical with R7800 version).
10. lzo package: unification of Makefile (identical with R7800 version).
11. OpenVPN package: unification of Makefile (identical with R7800 version).
12. dropbear package: unification of Makefile (identical with R7800 version).
13. libflac package is upgraded 1.3.2->1.3.3.
14. libflac package optimization (sync with OpenWRT version).
15. curl package is upgraded 7.65.1->7.65.3.
16. expat package is upgraded 2.2.6->2.2.7.
17. sqlite package is upgraded 3270200->3290000.
18. Host tools: two components are upgraded (e2fsprogs, scons).

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Last edited:
I'm observing instability when the dynamic QoS feature is enabled - the router sporadically reboots. I don't know how it was with the previous fw versions, I've used the router in the AP mode. Is it a general issue or does it belong to the custom fw?

I'm observing instability when the dynamic QoS feature is enabled - the router sporadically reboots. I don't know how it was with the previous fw versions, I've used the router in the AP mode. Is it a general issue or does it belong to the custom fw?

My QoS is enabled for R9000. Current uptime of the router:

Code:
 uptime
 11:13:01 up 11 days,  1:52, load average: 0.31, 0.36, 0.34

i.e. 11 days w/o reboot. Maybe you have to reset your router after AP to factory settings and manual re-configuration...

Voxel.

Maybe you have to reset your router after AP to factory settings and manual re-configuration...
I've done settings reset after the switch from the AP to router mode.
I've switched QoS off to test that issue is due to QoS, the router is stable now.
Can it be dependent on traffic type that QoS is analyzing?

Can it be dependent on traffic type that QoS is analyzing?

It should be.

I cannot say something concrete. Trend Micro QoS used in R9000 and R8900 is just black box in GPL sources from NG. Mainly pre- built binaries and kernel modules.

P.S.
Just FYI: I would not say that my R9000 was overloaded during these 11 days by intensive downloading or uploading. Mainly web browsing by my family.

Voxel.

Hi Voxel,

Just wanted to send another shoutout and a further thanks for all your work with this project. Without this firmware the router would be trash.

My question should hopefully be simple. I was poking around your site and noticed a few files under the “Kamoj” folder which led me to Google and finding out about Kamoj’s great custom debug page but the ipk files in that folder seem very recent and I can’t find any reference to them anywhere else. Are you able to gleam a little information on them?

P.S. I’m going to make a poor attempt to bribe you to make a non-entware release of iftop for the r9000 later tonight but also just to say thanks.

P.P.S I would be very happy to learn how to compile those apps myself to work on the r9000 architecture.

Very briefly.

My question should hopefully be simple. I was poking around your site and noticed a few files under the “Kamoj” folder which led me to Google and finding out about Kamoj’s great custom debug page but the ipk files in that folder seem very recent and I can’t find any reference to them anywhere else. Are you able to gleam a little information on them?
These packages will be needed for upcoming release of add-on from Kamoj.

P.S. I’m going to make a poor attempt to bribe you to make a non-entware release of iftop for the r9000 later tonight but also just to say thanks.
OK, take it:
https://voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/iftop_2018-10-03-77901c8c-1_r9000.ipk

FYI: just assembled, not tested/checked by me.

P.P.S I would be very happy to learn how to compile those apps myself to work on the r9000 architecture.
Sorry, but I am really extremely busy now. It is not so difficult for me to create an app by request but too difficult (very time consuming) to explain how to setup the environment for compilation.

Voxel.

Thanks a lot!

I was just coming back to the thread to say I’ve spent the last 2 hours reading about cross-compliling, toolchains, and OpenWrt’s buildroots - time I could have spent just installing Entware but it was fun nonetheless, and I also now completely understand the reason behind your answer too.

Hi Voxel. The last 2 updates broke Plex for me. All I get now when trying to log in is "This site can't be reached."

I can't see my connected USB storage contents when logging in to Plex on my TV any longer but it is enabled in the router. Was working great with no issues until recently. I'm on version 1.0.4.33HF

Any Ideas?

Hi Voxel. The last 2 updates broke Plex for me. All I get now when trying to log in is "This site can't be reached."

I can't see my connected USB storage contents when logging in to Plex on my TV any longer but it is enabled in the router. Was working great with no issues until recently. I'm on version 1.0.4.33HF

Any Ideas?

I did not touch Plex in my latest two releases. But I know that Plex itself was upgraded by Plex team:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-v-1-0-4-32hf.57647/#post-510664

So maybe there are problems with new Plex. It is downloaded and installed automatically if it is enabled and you just flashed new firmware.

I've checked. To say true I am not Plex user and I do not use it. But seems it is working:

upload_2019-9-17_11-3-19.png

NOTE: version is Jul 16, 2019. Not December 2018.

Probably you should clean up your Plex and install it anew.

1. Disable Plex in GUI
2. Reboot your router
3. Enable telnet
4. Enter by telnet and run the command:
Code:
rm -rf /tmp/plexmediaserver/*
5. Reboot your router
6. Enable Plex in GUI

At least Plex installed by me (Jul 2019) to "cleaned" router shows its startup page (screenshot above).

Voxel.

Voxel.

EDIT: In case anyone else encounters this I fixed it by deleting the "Library" folder in the HDD and rebooting the router so it can automatically create a new one. Boots up just fine now.

Thanks for the reply Voxel. I tried all the steps and the router downloaded Plex again but I'm still seeing this screen. I've tried on 3 different browsers including my phone and I get the same error.

Any other ideas? I'm stumped

Thanks again, Voxel, for an amazing firmware!!

Last edited:
i had the same thing happen on my nvidia shield running plex last year. cant get the site to work no matter what i tried then deleted the library folder and had it rebuild itself then all was fine... had a few friends run into the same thing on various hardware, the joke has always been its a plex thing sometimes it just needs rebuilt like windows devices lol

EDIT: In case anyone else encounters this I fixed it by deleting the "Library" folder in the HDD and rebooting the router so it can automatically create a new one. Boots up just fine now.

So it is rather incompatibility of the new Plex version with old one. The same problem could be with stock version. I do not control and do not touch Plex add-on.

FYI: I've checked extracted binaries of latest stock firmware (1.0.4.36), Plex scripts/programs/settings are the same (identical) as in 1.0.4.28. NG has published GPL codes of 1.0.4.28 (Feb 2019) but no other published GPL after that. So only binary comparison.

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!