What's new

D-Link DIR-857 HD Media Router 3000 or Linksys EA6300?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scovik

New Around Here
Hi, as the title says which one of the above do you recommend kipping in mind the following need:
1. I have a subscription of 500 Mbps with my ISP (62.5 MB) with a PPPoE connection type so the router must work with gigabit speed on PPPoE (speed test doesn't count, I'm downloading torrents
2. I heed USB 3.0 because I have an external HDD that I want to use with the media server the router creates as my smart tv doesn't have DLNA or UpnP so I can use a NAS
3. so basically which of the two works at gigabit speeds on PPPoE with and is decent as a media server with a decent transfer rate on USB 3.0

Before you answer I have one more thing to add, I had an Asus RT-N65U which was a disaster, not only because it lost packages and gaming online became a bit annoying , had bad 2.4 Ghz issues because I kept an external 1 TB HDD plugged in the USB 3.0 port but because with the stock Asus firmware I couldn't get torrent download speeds greater than 22 MB (speed test worked great, I reached easily 500 Mbps but downloading torrents or downloading in general was an issue), I had to use Padawan which has it's own fair share of issues even though downloading torrents was great (I reached speeds of 58 MB). So I returned the Asus and I am now looking for a replacement which must meet the conditions described above.
I will be looking forward for a reply.

Well it seems the post has been viewed but so far no answer. I am still undecided among this 2 so I will be waiting for a reply.

I think the edge goes to the EA6300.

But with your specific requirements, the best course is to buy both, try them and keep the one you like better.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for posting in the general but as you noticed I required advice in more areas than just wifi networking.
From this 2 do you have any idea which is the most stable with little or no lost packages and has a good media server support?
I would most probably go with your suggestion, but I will buy one of them and see how it works out, maybe I am lucky and it will work great, if not I will try the other version.
From your past and personal experiences which one would you recommend from this 2 if not for my specific requirements?

I spend a relatively short time with the products I review, so can't comment on reliability. Lost wireless packets are a "feature" of all wireless routers, it's just considered part of wireless overhead.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!