What's new

D-link DIR655 N only + seperate G router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SleazyC

New Around Here
Been lurking around here reading as much as I can about wireless N routers and finally decided to take the plunge and buy a DIR-655.

I've read a couple articles/posts discussing why it is a good idea to hold onto an old B/G router and have the N router run in N-only mode while having the olde router handle B/G. I had a two questions about setting this all up:

* Why is it a better idea to set the B/G router in AP mode as oppossed ot just running an ethernet cable from a LAN port on your N router to the WAN port on the B/G router?

* Should you maintain some sort of distance between the two routers?

I previously had just ran an ethernet cable from the LAN port on my DIR655 to the WAN port on my B/G router (Asus WL-520GU) and I seem to have ran into what seemed to be high levels of noise (was using the Mac app iStumbler to measure this). I happened to be VPN'd to my work desktop at the time and noticed that using a Unix terminal was a bit choppy.

Since then I have been monitoring signal strength, noise, etc. using another application, AP Grapher, and noticed that my noise will fluctuate a lot. Anyone else run into this behavior with a DIR655?

Thanks for any help in advance.

* Why is it a better idea to set the B/G router in AP mode as oppossed ot just running an ethernet cable from a LAN port on your N router to the WAN port on the B/G router?
You can do that, but you end up with the computers on the downstream router unable to be reached for file and printer sharing by clients attached to the first due to the second router's firewall and separate subnet. See How To: One Internet connection - Two Private LANs

* Should you maintain some sort of distance between the two routers?
Probably a good idea to have the two at least 10 feet apart. You could get some receiver overloading and throughput reduction otherwise. Also be sure to set them to different channels using 1, 6 or 11.

I had this problem with my 655. The connection would just drop constantly and not reconnect. Dlink said to enable "Auto Channel Scanning" in the Wireless Settings and Use only WPA2 AES (not TKIP and AES).

Since then I have had no problems with the 655. Perhaps try that and update the firmware to 1.32

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!