What's new

Daylight Savings / Parental Controls - Time Scheduling - Merlin 386.1 beta 4 + Asus 3.0.0.4.386.41535

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rx2

Occasional Visitor
Hi -

This week I decided to upgrade my existing AC68U running merlin to an AX86U. I have been spending time today setting up the AX86U and installed Merlin 386.1 beta 4. However I have run into a couple of issues which I think may be related.

Firstly, I live in Sydney where day light savings apply. I have set the time zone to "Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne", and the appropriate start / end timezone dates. Oddly the default values for the start / end seem swapped. After applying the changes the router reports the local and system datetimes are different which is what we don't want. This can been seen by going to the System Log where the timestamp is 1hr behind. I have tried rebooting, resetting, including hardware reset, and to no avail have I got this to work. The settings for the day light savings are identical to what I have in my AC68U, so I am sure they are correct.

Thinking there may be bugs in the day light savings implementation, I set the timezone to Solomon Is which does not have day light savings and is 11hrs ahead. However, when I set a time schedule for a particular device in parental controls, the device would appear blocked in the router, but would still have network access. Extremely odd. At this point I lost enthusiasm to battle with bugs and stopped my investigations.

I decided to revert to the Asus 3.0.0.4.386.41535 firmware. This firmware also exhibited the exact same day light savings issues as Merlin. I then decided to try the release prior, being Asus 3.0.0.4.384.9318. This worked perfectly. The day light savings worked, and so did the time scheduling. I am presuming there is some kind of DST bug in both the current releases of Asus and Merlin firmware's?

It also seems the time scheduling part of parental has had an overhaul. Personally I prefer the old Grid system of selecting when devices are online / offline rather than the new UI which is pretty cumbersome - it appears usability has gone backwards :(

Hi -

This week I decided to upgrade my existing AC68U running merlin to an AX86U. I have been spending time today setting up the AX86U and installed Merlin 386.1 beta 4. However I have run into a couple of issues which I think may be related.

Firstly, I live in Sydney where day light savings apply. I have set the time zone to "Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne", and the appropriate start / end timezone dates. Oddly the default values for the start / end seem swapped. After applying the changes the router reports the local and system datetimes are different which is what we don't want. This can been seen by going to the System Log where the timestamp is 1hr behind. I have tried rebooting, resetting, including hardware reset, and to no avail have I got this to work. The settings for the day light savings are identical to what I have in my AC68U, so I am sure they are correct.

Thinking there may be bugs in the day light savings implementation, I set the timezone to Solomon Is which does not have day light savings and is 11hrs ahead. However, when I set a time schedule for a particular device in parental controls, the device would appear blocked in the router, but would still have network access. Extremely odd. At this point I lost enthusiasm to battle with bugs and stopped my investigations.

I decided to revert to the Asus 3.0.0.4.386.41535 firmware. This firmware also exhibited the exact same day light savings issues as Merlin. I then decided to try the release prior, being Asus 3.0.0.4.384.9318. This worked perfectly. The day light savings worked, and so did the time scheduling. I am presuming there is some kind of DST bug in both the current releases of Asus and Merlin firmware's?

It also seems the time scheduling part of parental has had an overhaul. Personally I prefer the old Grid system of selecting when devices are online / offline rather than the new UI which is pretty cumbersome - it appears usability has gone backwards :(

I like the old style grid as well for parental controls, but it seems that the improved granularity in the new system was not easy to implement with the grid. The grid however is still available for viewing but not editing. When you are in the editing window for the time range for a device, there is a little button up in the right that looks like a list. Select that, and it will show the grid.

Running an AX86U, I found the same issues with parental controls but it didn't effect me enough to change firmware. I think the grid is much easier and faster to configure, but I imagine the new setup works better with the mobile app that Asus is pushing.

Running an AX86U, I found the same issues with parental controls but it didn't effect me enough to change firmware. I think the grid is much easier and faster to configure, but I imagine the new setup works better with the mobile app that Asus is pushing.

Yeah - the issues with the day light savings and the parental control were enough for me to revert back to the 68u for the time being and put the AX86u in the box.

Hoping these issues will be resolved soon. I am not an expert but I think the root of the issues exist in the Asus sourcecode, and not Merlin's. So hoping Asus sort something out soon.

Are you doing a full reset to factory defaults after jumping to new/different firmware? Or are you letting the settings ride?

Are you doing a full reset to factory defaults after jumping to new/different firmware? Or are you letting the settings ride?
Yes - I have performed a full factory reset using the WPS button when moving between firmware versions. This did not help in resolving the issue.

Ok, have you reported the issue to Asus in the feedback? You are probably right, this may be on them, not @RMerlin, and it may be specific to this model only.

Ok, have you reported the issue to Asus in the feedback? You are probably right, this may be on them, not @RMerlin, and it may be specific to this model only.
No I haven't as of yet. How does one go about reporting this to Asus? Is it through the local telephone support here in Australia?

No I haven't as of yet. How does one go about reporting this to Asus? Is it through the local telephone support here in Australia?
The factory Asus firmware has a Feedback tab under Administration for reporting issues, but it is not available under Merlin versions.

Same issue on the 386 firmware. Frustrating welcome to asus wifi routers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good to have the easy feedback tab though.

Anyone know if fixed in the beta firmware with the dnsmasq CVE fixes? Guessing not as it looked like a special release just for the CVE's? Will try eventually, but figured I'd ask for others experience first :)

Can confirm .384 firmware fixes the problem (along with connection problems for google and sonos devices).