What's new

dd-wrt for RT-AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I will try to help you. I do not have a PS4 but Xbox one.

I found a few posts about changing ASUS's NAT Loopback setting in the Firewall tab. Changing from RMerlin to Asus.

Also i have ran DDWRT on my Asus RT-AC87 andhad issues with it. Running RMerlins has been no issues.
Thanks bro ..my main problem I do not know what version of the firmware used in order not to lag on my ps4? What should I do I'm a noob :(

I read all the posts ..if I use dd-wrt I do not know how to properly set up (((I'm playing on the European server and have a ping 55-68ms lag ps4 :( any help eliminate lag and delay

Hello everybody !! I read your posts liked dfran1 ... my problem is I live in Russia, my ISP Rosintel 250mb link I have a RT-Ac87u and firmware Merlin 380.59 beta2 im play witch PS4 online game after each firmware first 3-4hr not lag PS4 but after 4 hr my pS4 lag my connect on ps4 LaN need your help is flashing dd-wrt where do I go ?? any help plz
I had the same problem with my 87, LAG LAG LAG (after 4 Hours or a day or so) so...........
With Asus or merlin firmware change these settings in Asus or Merlins
-turn off or disable any Guest networks
-Turn off any USB or media service
Now for the settings that work best for PS4
- in the "LAN" section.
--IPTV Tab--

-"Use DHCP routes" select "RFC3442 & Microsoft"
-ENABLE "Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)"
-ENABLE "Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping)"
--Switch Control Tab--
-Enable Jumbo Frame select "Enable"
-NAT Acceleration select "Disable" (you can experiment on this, you may have to enable)
-Spanning-Tree Protocol select "Disable" (you can experiment on this, you may have to enable)
- In the "WAN" section.
--Internet Connection Tab--
-Enable NAT to "Yes"
-Enable UPnP to "Yes"
-UPNP: Allowed internal port range to "1" to "65535"
-UPNP: Allowed external port range to "1" to "65535"
--NAT Passthrough Tab--
-"Enable" every option
- In the "Firewall" section.
--General Tab--
-NAT Loopback to "Asus" (if using Merlins firmware)

Now the biggest change is finding your perfect DNS servers and add them to your PS4 network settings, so do a google in Russia for :Best PS4 DNS servers"
post back with results, you may want to schedule a daily reboot of the router, in your case as nothing will work for over 1-2 days on the Asus 87
Here is merlins firmware start with the latest Beta so go to the rt-ac87 folder then go to Beta folder and download the latest one.
OR go to the asus site and download the latest that is Beta Version9.0.0.4.380.2695

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my 87, LAG LAG LAG (after 4 Hours or a day or so) so...........
With Asus or merlin firmware change these settings in Asus or Merlins
-turn off or disable any Guest networks
-Turn off any USB or media service
Now for the settings that work best for PS4
- in the "LAN" section.
--IPTV Tab--

-"Use DHCP routes" select "RFC3442 & Microsoft"
-ENABLE "Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)"
-ENABLE "Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping)"
--Switch Control Tab--
-Enable Jumbo Frame select "Enable"
-NAT Acceleration select "Disable" (you can experiment on this, you may have to enable)
-Spanning-Tree Protocol select "Disable" (you can experiment on this, you may have to enable)
- In the "WAN" section.
--Internet Connection Tab--
-Enable NAT to "Yes"
-Enable UPnP to "Yes"
-UPNP: Allowed internal port range to "1" to "65535"
-UPNP: Allowed external port range to "1" to "65535"
--NAT Passthrough Tab--
-"Enable" every option
- In the "Firewall" section.
--General Tab--
-NAT Loopback to "Asus" (if using Merlins firmware)

Now the biggest change is finding your perfect DNS servers and add them to your PS4 network settings, so do a google in Russia for :Best PS4 DNS servers"
post back with results, you may want to schedule a daily reboot of the router, in your case as nothing will work for over 1-2 days on the Asus 87
Here is merlins firmware start with the latest Beta so go to the rt-ac87 folder then go to Beta folder and download the latest one.
OR go to the asus site and download the latest that is Beta Version9.0.0.4.380.2695
thanks to all. respect Dfran1 .Now do not have time to use the post .When I work . I'll home use your post Dfran1. im tell post helped me .. I'm very grateful to you. Sorry my english not good

Tomorrow I'm going home .. now I have a new asus RT-ac88u. have your Offer by setting 88u want to try it but I Do not Know what you can do to my ps4 no lag?

follow the same settings for the 88, I have a 5300 and all is good

follow the same settings for the 88, I have a 5300 and all is good
Im setup 88 ...i can send you my scrensoot
Guest_network.asp
AdaptiveQoS_Bandwidth_Monitor.asp
Advanced_DHCP_Content.asp
Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp
Advanced_SwitchCtrl_Content.asp

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the initiative to create this thread, dfran1. This is the only website I have seen talking about ASUS RT-AC87R.

I have the RT-AC87R with the latest Merlin v380.59 installed. I have succeeded in setting up the dual connection with PACE 5168N as can be seen in one of the files attached to this message. Both routers are working fine, interconnected and any of the router can stream from my Roku box. All my Wi-Fi are working well. But I can not make my VPN work yet and I do not know what I’m doing wrong.

1. When I checked the VPN Status, it reads "Running, or Connecting..." and it takes forever hanging. Attached is also the "VPN System Error Log - syslog" to help you understand the problem I have.

2. Another problem that I have noticed is that, when I connect my laptop to the RT-AC87R, I can enter the interface of both ASUS RT-AC87R and PACE 5168N. But when I connect the laptop to the PACE 5168N, I can only browse the interface of the PACE 5168N. No access to RT-AC87R. What am I doing wrong? Note that my WAN IP in RT-AC87R is supplied by 5168N and RT-AC87R is configured in PACE 5168N a Supplementary Network.

3. I have read all your messages and I understand that the DD-WRT firmware for RT-AC87U can as well be flashed on RT-AC87R. Must my RT-AC87R be flashed with the DD-WRT firmware in order to make the VPN work?

4. Must my dual connection be bridged in order to make the VPN work? I want the RT-AC87R to be my VPN Router and the PACE 5168N connected to the wall be my Internet Router so that I can connect my laptop to any of the routers for specific purpose. I will not be using my laptop always with VPN.

5. In a dual connection of routers like this, do I also need to set up the VPN Server on the RT-AC87R?

6. Why are some using the L2TP protocol while my VPN provider (Private Internet Access) is using the OpenVPN?

7. The problem now is that I can't make the VPN connection work. I need someone to just tell me what I'm doing wrong, how to setup each interconnected router so that they can flow together. I know it is possible because others have succeeded in using multiple routers well set up for VPN. The 2 of my routers are all very popular (ASUS RT-AC87R and PACE 5168N). See the attached files for any relevant reference. Note that the firmware of PACE 5168N and 5268AC are 99% identical.

I have written to my VPN technical support (PIA) but it looks like they have no time to look into my problem.

Regards.

Attachments

• VPN System Error Log - syslog.pdf
    120.7 KB · Views: 470
  • Dual Router Setup.pdf
    499.7 KB · Views: 558
  • PACE 5268AC Manual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 796
  • ASUS Router Running Merlin Firmware – Setup.pdf
    47 KB · Views: 762
  • ASUS AC87R - My Router System Information..pdf
    402.5 KB · Views: 552
Hi All,

Thanks for taking the initiative to create this thread, dfran1. This is the only website I have seen talking about ASUS RT-AC87R.

Regards.

Hi, I hope you found a solution by now, I do not do anything yet that you are doing, If you are looking for dd-wrt support on how to do this please go to the dd-wrt forums for help as you most likely have a very slim chance of someone here with dd-wrt doing what you need, they are very helpful over there. If you want to use merlins firmware then you may need to create your thread in the merlin section as most will not read this as it pertains to dd-wrt.

I apologize for not being any help on your specific problem.

This is a support forum for dd-wrt on the RT-AC87 (U or R, they are the same, identical, one is sold in local stores and the other elsewhere that is it.)

Whats the firewall like on this build ? Can it block wan to lan connections ? Why is the 87r not on the ddwrt router database ?