What's new

dd-wrt for RT-AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

absolutely stability is important. I was just making sure it wasnt my settings. I'd like to see the 5ghz use full speed, but im guessing everyone is trying to figure out the driver situation for this qualcomm chip

WOW
I have everything working :)

USB drive (I need to know now how to unmount it, eject it , PLEASE)
movies play great wifi 5GHz or LAN!!

Port forwarding is perfect

NO PS4 lag!!!!!!

great 5GHz distance, and works perfectly with IOS!!

NO 5ghz drops at all on IOS devices or anything to date!!!

DDNS works great

Static Leases works perfect WITH NAMES!!

I get 300M on my ipad 2 air!!!

I get cpu temps with the gui!!

!!!!I get NO LAG from my ios remote app to a LAN device AT ALL!!! this has NEVER happened with ALL builds from Asus or merlin's (its the truth sorry) with 5GHz on the ios device yet!!!:)

The timezone works perfect!!

There is more tweaks and stuff than the space shuttle!!

The BAD
learning curve!!
That is it

I hope this sums it up

I need to know how to eject or unmount my usb hard drive PLEASE and that is all!!!

USB with dd-wrt

The "RESET" button should work as an "eject" for USB mounted devices with DD-WRT. Try it.

link

WOW
I have everything working :)

USB drive (I need to know now how to unmount it, eject it , PLEASE)
movies play great wifi 5GHz or LAN!!

Port forwarding is perfect

NO PS4 lag!!!!!!

great 5GHz distance, and works perfectly with IOS!!

NO 5ghz drops at all on IOS devices or anything to date!!!

DDNS works great

Static Leases works perfect WITH NAMES!!

I get 300M on my ipad 2 air!!!

I get cpu temps with the gui!!

!!!!I get NO LAG from my ios remote app to a LAN device AT ALL!!! this has NEVER happened with ALL builds from Asus or merlin's (its the truth sorry) with 5GHz on the ios device yet!!!:)

The timezone works perfect!!

There is more tweaks and stuff than the space shuttle!!

The BAD
learning curve!!
That is it

I hope this sums it up

I need to know how to eject or unmount my usb hard drive PLEASE and that is all!!!

Can you post the d/l link for the version you are using please.

CC

Can you post the d/l link for the version you are using please.

CC

Hi!!
it is the same one on post #3 in this thread, saifooz took out the other one as it had problems.

The "RESET" button should work as an "eject" for USB mounted devices with DD-WRT. Try it.

thanks but that does not work.:(

EDIT:
I have the guest network up and running also, I will post how to in my first post tomorrow. So everything I use is now running 100% (except for unmount or eject of USB), AND working perfectly to date. Not only perfect for me, but better than my rt-ac68r and 87r ever did with Asus firmware.

THANK YOU saifooz:D

Last edited:

Thanks, am I correct in assuming the wps button works to clear the nvram if you hold it down?

What kind of speeds are you getting out of your 5ghz radio?

update

Hi!!
it is the same one on post #3 in this thread, saifooz took out the other one as it had problems.

thanks but that does not work.:(

EDIT:
I have the guest network up and running also, I will post how to in my first post tomorrow. So everything I use is now running 100% (except for unmount or eject of USB), AND working perfectly to date. Not only perfect for me, but better than my rt-ac68r and 87r ever did with Asus firmware.

THANK YOU saifooz:D

Can you update us on performance? Also is it a simple flash from recovery?

CC

1. Download the latest build of DD-WRT firmware for ASUS RT-AC87U
v24-SP2 Build 01-20-2015-r25974
Download here

Note: I will post the next updated build here and replace the previous build.

Note: If you want to upgrade from a current dd-wrt firmware to a newer build then you have to upgrade using the WebUI (192.168.1.1)
If you want to update the firmware from the official to this build then follow these steps

2. Put RT-AC87U in the recovery mode by following these steps:
- turn off the router
- While pressing the WPS button at back; turn on the router
- Keep this button hold for 2 seconds after the router is on and then leave it.
- Quickly press the RESET button at back and keep pressing till the power blue led starting blinking slowly.

3. You may not need this step. Change your LAN or WiFi adapter in Windows to a static IP 192.168.1.2 and Gateway 192.168.1.1 if not identified.

4. Go to your browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1 (unless you change it)

5. You should be in the recovery firmware page. Browse the firmware you downloaded and press upload button.

6. You should wait and do not turn the router off till it restarts itself automatically. The page could looks hanged but it take a minute or less to finish the upload and then wait till the page says "Firmware update is successful completed". There is a percentage level bar at bottom-left of the web page.

if you want to go back to the official firmware you can follow the same method or upgrade it through the dd-wrt webui. The difference is a default reset will be applied.

Saif

Saif,

On the DDWRT I do not find any evidence of support for the RT-AC87?
Is this just your personal project? Thank you either way........

CC

Can you update us on performance? Also is it a simple flash from recovery?

CC

I am running a test now on the 5GHz, while downloading at my max ISP speed to my mac.
1. samsung TV
2. ipad air 2
3. iphone 6+
4. samsung note 10.1 1st gen

all on 5GHz
streaming 1080p and 720P movies .MVK off the attached USB drive to the router.
All playing perfectly for 15 minute then a router reboot (also a note: this was the first reboot to date also, and I have not had one 5GHz drop, and my IOS devices have never lost connection on the 5GHz), BUT my load on it was over the top form 1 USB hard drive soooo.

CPU TemperatureCPU 58.0 °C / WL0 37.95 °C / WL1 50.51 °C

load average is only 37%

2nd Test
all on 5GHz
1. samsung TV
2. ipad air 2
3. iphone 6+

Streaming .mvk 1080p and 720p movies to #1 and #3
#2 is streaming video from the dish app (dishnetwork)
1 hour in and no issues at all so far.

Edit for test results:
"iPhone is still playing and played the entire movie and I reversed it to keep it playing"
"Samsung TV either played the entire movie or stopped, could be the samsung TV issue, as my iphone is still playing and never lost 5GHz connection"
"iPad steamed dish network video just fine"
END EDIT:

This router is the best of the best with this firmware!!! (also a laptop cooler under it)

Performance for what I do is outstanding!

Yes I did the flash from the recovery cd software. with the router in recovery mode, it did not work for me thru the web browser, the first time (meaning from Asus firmware to this dd-wrt). Its very simple.

There is a learning curve, but it is well worth it
when you do not know how to do something, do a google search like
"dd-wrt port forward" and what usually comes up on top is a web link to great instructions.
or please post here and we will get back to you.

EDIT:
My remote app on my ios device that controls my lan device has never worked so well at all on 5GHz, it is very very quick to find the LAN device, as before it would take ~30-45 seconds every time, even after a fresh reboot, now it takes ~5-10 seconds, something I have never saw before this firmware. I absolutely, at this point in time have no faith in Asus firmware, out of all firmware out there Asus should be the best BUT is absolutely the worst.

Last edited:
To all that read and follow this thread

1. I have no connection to saifooz before his kind post of this firmware.

2. I am totally off the wall with the crap firmware Asus has been shoving down our throats as you.

3. So far to date this firmware has performed outstanding for me.

4. I had no issues installing it, you should not either, but as any firmware install install at your own risk. Someone one here should be able to help if you get in trouble, and you can flash back if it does not work for you.

speeds for me are at 300m for my air 2 and samsung TV, I don't own a new laptop that gets super fast connection, but 450m might be tops for now, until a newer update rolls out or if not I am happy so far, as I was actually considering using this as a doorstop and buying a netgear version of this before this firmware.

How are the sys logs still getting the br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address error?

Saif,

On the DDWRT I do not find any evidence of support for the RT-AC87?
Is this just your personal project? Thank you either way........

CC

I do not think most of users know that a month ago BrainSlayer, the main developer added the support to the dd-wrt v24-SP2 and still WIP. I tried to test these builds before I post a build which is somehow very stable. I do not read forums but I read the source codes.

I used a build which is a personal build. I will not post a build unless I tried it in my router first. Do not worry guys.

Honestly, I am trying to fix toolchains which BrainStyler switched to another build and still did not upload it as you need this to compile a firmware.

Last edited:
I'm very impressed with your build. Kudos to you and BS. I've only been running it for 10 hours, but no issues so far.

CPU 81.4 °C / WL0 49.00 °C / WL1 72.05 °C

After downloading torrents on 4 different devices (5 GHz) for about 15 minutes.

CPU 82.5 °C / WL0 50.50 °C / WL1 74.45 °C

20 minutes

Last edited: