What's new

dd-wrt for RT-AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just installed. So far so good. Wifi transfer speeds from USB 3.0 are just as good
as Asus firmware! Finally.

Had a few random reboots! Anyone else?

update: erased nvram - reflashed firmware - erased nvram again - manually put in all settings
NO more reboots

CC
Yes ,
that is why I do that every time, something stays in memory in these routers and they do not let it go, maybe unplug for 1 hour or so??, but I do know once it starts (with Asus or dd-wrt) you must nvram erase and flash.
I never reboot now after flashing at all, no matter what firmware or who's, just because that is what happens to me and my friends routers. It never happened at first, but since the latest asus and dd-wrt (though I have not rebooted a new build of dd-wrt at all) builds it happens all the time. So I never reboot, just click apply.

I had my friend on the January Asus update and all was pretty good for him (of course he does not use much and the 5GHz was dropping for him, I did not discover the beam forming problem then), then I told him to power cycle the router (due to ps4 lag) and after that he was doing that almost daily until I put dd-wrt on it for him, matter in fact I need to put a newer version on his, he is still running the 1-20-2015 version, to this day his is working perfectly (again he just uses wifi and LAN switch, no usb,vpn ect..).

Its either a driver or bad design, since this problem never showed up till recently I am leaning towered driver.

But that is why i always put in my test results at the bottom how I flash dd-wrt.

That is great to hear that your usb slowness is fixed:) great news!!! We have a lot more progress on dd-wrt than Asus ever did, pretty sad, and the more I look into it, people out there actually first ask for the latest routers that are supported by dd-wrt for stability, I am just glad we found this, I was almost at the end of my line without it. I would think the last thing they need to do is support for over 450m ISP speeds, even though mine is just at 30m, pretty sad.

Router: RT-AC-87
Firmware: 03-05-2015-r26446
Reset: nvram erase before and after install
Errors: 2.4 ghz light not working - beamforming on 5 ghz not availiable - 5 ghz channel option not availiable
Previous: Build 26424

This build is fantastic. I may not change from this version.

Signal Strength both bands excellent
USB 3.0 -> 2 TB HD - wireless file transfers now as fast if not faster than stock Asus firmware
Rock solid - HD stream on 6 devices (ipads - pc - MBP - iphones - to OPPO 103) not one hickkup
running now all day and browsing is still quick and snappy - WAY faster than Asus stock or Merlin

Only wants are:
IPv6 6 to 4 tunnel built in
2.4 ghz lights
beamforming on 5 ghz channel

CC

What's the secret to getting the router to get a wan IP address. I flashed ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/03-05-2015-r26446/

And I've reset the modem several times along with the router.

What's the secret to getting the router to get a wan IP address. I flashed ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/03-05-2015-r26446/

And I've reset the modem several times along with the router.

First off did you get the file from here:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/03-05-2015-r26446/asus-rt-ac87u/

After d/ling file. follow the procedure on the first message from DFran1.
If you already flashed the correct firmware try this.
unplug router
unplug modem
Wait 2 minutes
plug in modem and wait for your lights show a connection
then plug in the RT-AC87
You should get a WAN ip no problem.

CC

After trying the Asus Beta firmware I am back to DDWRT. This is by far the most stable and fastest firmware out for the RT-AC87!

CC

After trying the Asus Beta firmware I am back to DDWRT. This is by far the most stable and fastest firmware out for the RT-AC87!

CC
If it was not for dd-wrt I would have thrown this POS by now, just a shame, no one else sees this, either they are not testing, don't care, or ?? I don't get it I had 3 and they are crap with asus firmware after 24 hours, others have said they get the ~8 second lag, but don't see it when playing, and I know its there, just WOW.

BUT you are certainly correct it is very stable with dd-wrt and no lag.

If it was not for dd-wrt I would have thrown this POS by now, just a shame, no one else sees this, either they are not testing, don't care, or ?? I don't get it I had 3 and they are crap with asus firmware after 24 hours, others have said they get the ~8 second lag, but don't see it when playing, and I know its there, just WOW.

Hi, did you also try RMerlin's 378.51_newgtn for AC87U? You still get the PS4 lag?

Hi, did you also try RMerlin's 378.51_newgtn for AC87U? You still get the PS4 lag?
I beleive I tried the beta of it and yes it lags after ~20 bour mark.

I tried your "lag test" with my PS4 and my RT-87R and don't get the lag. You know, that is a pretty unscientific way of checking for lag...
Have you tried http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

I beleive I tried the beta of it and yes it lags after ~20 bour mark.

Ok, because the 3.0.0.4.378.51_newqtn has newer Quantenna firmware driver.
It also fix the VLAN1 loop issue "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address"

Last edited:
I tried your "lag test" with my PS4 and my RT-87R and don't get the lag. You know, that is a pretty unscientific way of checking for lag...
Have you tried http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/
Right now I have dd-wrt on and this is my results

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbv5mwqct59s8vh/dd-wrt 3-15-15.txt?dl=0

I am going to load that latest of merlin experimental in a few and report back as soon as lag show's
I will then rerun this test before lag and after on merlins
Thank You.

Right now I have dd-wrt on and this is my results

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbv5mwqct59s8vh/dd-wrt 3-15-15.txt?dl=0

I am going to load that latest of merlin experimental in a few and report back as soon as lag show's
I will then rerun this test before lag and after on merlins
Thank You.

Defran1,

How can I run the test that you show, can you tell me script and what I have to enable to run it?
Thanks in advance and awaiting your findings on the Merlin firmware.

CC

Defran1,

How can I run the test that you show, can you tell me script and what I have to enable to run it?
Thanks in advance and awaiting your findings on the Merlin firmware.

CC
its that net analyzer link that Gitsum posted thats all. (i don't think you are talking about my ps4 lag test that is different)

results so far

My ps4 lag test, after I let the router settle for 20 minutes passed so far.

these are the only differences so far that I notice

dd-wrt net analyzer test results (I only ran it once with dd-wrt)
Network performance (?): Latency: 22 ms, Loss: 0.0%
TCP connection setup latency (?): 22ms
Network bandwidth (?): Upload 4.2 Mbit/s, Download >20 Mbit/s
Network buffer measurements (?): Uplink 229 ms, Downlink 62 ms
DNS resolver properties (?): Lookup latency 160 ms

merlins RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378.51_newqtn
Network performance (?): Latency: 23 ms, Loss: 0.0%
TCP connection setup latency (?): 21ms
Network buffer measurements (?): Uplink 229 ms, Downlink is good
DNS resolver properties (?): Lookup latency 130 ms

with merlins 2nd test after 30 minutes
Network performance (?): Latency: 21 ms, Loss: 0.0%
TCP connection setup latency (?): 22ms
Network buffer measurements (?): Uplink 240 ms, Downlink is good
DNS resolver properties (?): Lookup latency 120 ms

Ok now I have PS4 lag with merlins (I blame Asus) and take a look!!

NAT support for Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) (?): Not found

TCP connection setup latency (?): 23ms
Background measurement of network health (?): no transient outages
Network buffer measurements (?): Uplink 240 ms, Downlink 57 ms

Ok now I have PS4 lag with merlins (I blame Asus) and take a look!!

NAT support for Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) (?): Not found

TCP connection setup latency (?): 23ms
Background measurement of network health (?): no transient outages
Network buffer measurements (?): Uplink 240 ms, Downlink 57 ms

I don't see any lag in what you posted (a 23ms latency is perfectly fine), all I see is that your PS4 is no longer finding its UPNP mapping. My guess is, Sony did the same silly thing as Microsoft, and fail to refresh any existing port forwards after they expire (in the case of the XBox, this happens when the XBox goes into sleep mode, and comes out of sleep later on), which miniupnpd does properly, but possibly not whatever UPNP daemon used by DD-WRT.

Workarounds would be to either power cycle your PS4 to force it to refresh its UPNP forwards, or customize miniupnpd to disable expired port removal.

I don't see any lag in what you posted (a 23ms latency is perfectly fine), all I see is that your PS4 is no longer finding its UPNP mapping. My guess is, Sony did the same silly thing as Microsoft, and fail to refresh any existing port forwards after they expire (in the case of the XBox, this happens when the XBox goes into sleep mode, and comes out of sleep later on), which miniupnpd does properly, but possibly not whatever UPNP daemon used by DD-WRT.

Workarounds would be to either power cycle your PS4 to force it to refresh its UPNP forwards, or customize miniupnpd to disable expired port removal.

But the test is failing also not just the PS4 test, the one Gitsum posted above??

But the test is failing also not just the PS4 test, the one Gitsum posted above??

I am running a RT-AC87R with Merlin's 378.51_newtn. It has been running well with my PS4 for the last four days. The PS4 is connected through a wireless bridge on 5GHz. To get UPNP to work consistently on the PS4 and other consoles, I have to disable NAT Acceleration, and enable IGMP Snooping on 5GHz, . I also go into the LAN - IPTV tab, and enable both IGMP Proxy and IGMP Snooping, and set the DHCP Routes to RFC3442 & Microsoft. Prior to making these changes, I would struggle to consistently get Open NAT on the PS4. It may or may not work for you, but I thought I would throw it out there. Good luck.

I am running a RT-AC87R with Merlin's 378.51_newtn. It has been running well with my PS4 for the last four days. The PS4 is connected through a wireless bridge on 5GHz. To get UPNP to work consistently on the PS4 and other consoles, I have to disable NAT Acceleration, and enable IGMP Snooping on 5GHz, . I also go into the LAN - IPTV tab, and enable both IGMP Proxy and IGMP Snooping, and set the DHCP Routes to RFC3442 & Microsoft. Prior to making these changes, I would struggle to consistently get Open NAT on the PS4. It may or may not work for you, but I thought I would throw it out there. Good luck.
I am not getting open nat
test with nat 2
I just hope it holds.
are you using ports or dmz?

Hi all. I followed the instructions on page 1 and flashed my ASUS RT-AC87R to 26446. Seemed ok at first, but then I have discovered that my 5Ghz network drops and I have to reconnect my laptop to the 2.4 then back to the 5.
I have Comcast and an ARRIS TG862 Modem/Router in bridge mode.

Also, the WAN led light shows what looks like the red light is solid and the blue is flashing giving it a pinkish purple color.

I'm not sure I have my settings right. All I did was flash it then set my SSID for both 2.4 and 5, wireless security. Pretty much left everything else alone for now.

Anyone have any advice or could send me the basic configuration settings? I find it odd that my operation mode is Gateway, not Router. This is the only way it works.