What's new

dd-wrt for RT-AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trying now
I had a hard time getting a WAN lock at first, but it may have been related to me not turning on the cable modem in time.

Please let me know your review of this..........very interested

CC

Call me crazy but the DDWRT firmware is still the snappiest as far as internet browsing.
Seems every Asus/Merlin release has a sort of delay in page loads that degrades with time.
The DDWRT even after 5 days was still lightening fast. I am on the latest new official Asus 4608 firmware and again see that very slight page load delay.

Transfers from USB 3 is now faster with the 4608 but not by much. I am also noticing that
the 2 TB HD gets corrupted from the stock Asus firmware. With DDWRT absolutely no HD
corruption.

Anyone else see what I am seeing?

CC

Call me crazy but the DDWRT firmware is still the snappiest as far as internet browsing.
Seems every Asus/Merlin release has a sort of delay in page loads that degrades with time.
The DDWRT even after 5 days was still lightening fast. I am on the latest new official Asus 4608 firmware and again see that very slight page load delay.

Transfers from USB 3 is now faster with the 4608 but not by much. I am also noticing that
the 2 TB HD gets corrupted from the stock Asus firmware. With DDWRT absolutely no HD
corruption.

Anyone else see what I am seeing?

CC

No issues for me like that on stock or Merlin's firmware.

Have you verified via speedtest/ping test that the slowness issue is truly present and it's not a possible placebo effect?

With the settings I am using now so far this is better than dd-wrt (so far).
as for the hard drive corruption I had it before and hope it does not happen again, but it was caused by me powering the router without ejecting the hard drive.
still testing tho, but now on the alfa posted here.

With the settings I am using now so far this is better than dd-wrt (so far).
as for the hard drive corruption I had it before and hope it does not happen again, but it was caused by me powering the router without ejecting the hard drive.
still testing tho, but now on the alfa posted here.

Back on DDWRT, page loads like lightening again. Are you using the Merlin, Asus Stock or Saifooz?

CC

Back on DDWRT, page loads like lightening again. Are you using the Merlin, Asus Stock or Saifooz?

CC
Saifooz
seems very quick to me

here are my changes Thanks to dsring for a lot of great info

WIFI page
-enable IGMP Snooping on 5GHz
-Short Preamble, DTIM Interval @ 1, and Beacon Interval @ 50 on both wireless bands
-Beam Forming is off, both bands

LAN page
- IPTV tab, and enable both IGMP Proxy and IGMP Snooping, and set the DHCP Routes to RFC3442 & Microsoft
- Switch Control Page - NAT Acceleration, Spanning Tree Protocol, and Enable Jumbo Frames to enable (dsring disables NAT Acceleration and Spanning Tree Protocol)

DMZ to ps4

WAN Page
- OpenDNS Family DNS servers (208.67.222.123 & 208.67.220.123)
- set DHCP Query Frequency to Normal (I need this, some do not)
- UPNP Allowed internal & external port range set from 1 to 65535.

NAT Passthrough page
- All options are Enabled

Firewall Page
dsring disables NAT Loopback (I leave it at merlin)

Last edited:
trying now
I had a hard time getting a WAN lock at first, but it may have been related to me not turning on the cable modem in time.

WAN initiation and Dual WAN still not fixed. Sometimes you have to unplug/plug it after booting up.

Hi,

I'm a new user and would like to try out DD-WRT, I'm currently using asus merlin firmware.
After frequent browsing of forum, I noticed cc666 has the issue of slow web browsing which I have experienced and not sure if it is due to the stock/merlin firmware or due to my ISP - MyRepublic.

Problem is I have no prior experience on how to flash DD-WRT and would like to know the spoonfed procedures including on how to recover if my router somehow bricked and would also like to know how can I flash back to asus stock/merlin firmware.

There's 2 different set of instructions at 1st and 3rd post, and I'm not sure which is fool-proof, as I heard you need to flash a minimum ddwrt firmware before flashing a higher version.
It would even help better if a video is shown and maybe subtitles for additional instructions.

dd-wrt build 03-19-2015-r26490 uploaded.
let us know what you find and think, to me so far the best was 1-20-2015 build. I am going to stick with the asus merlin one you posted here.

let us know what you find and think, to me so far the best was 1-20-2015 build. I am going to stick with the asus merlin one you posted here.

Does the Merlin build have the same wireless drivers as the 4608 firmware Asus just released?

CC

I tried the 3-5-15 version of DD-WRT for 4 days. It ran pretty well but the 2.4GHz band dropped twice. The 2.4GHz SSID would be reported by inSSIDer and WiFi Analyzer as being present but when I tried to connect I would get connection failure messages I had never seen before. For instance, my cell phone (Samsung Note 2 running Kit Kat 4.4.2), would not connect at all to the 2.4GHz SSID. However, my Surface Pro 3 would connect but report the connection to the Internet to be unusable. The only way to recover the 2.4GHz band would be to do a factory reset and manually reenter my configuration settings.

So I went back to Merlin's 378.51-newqtn and then to the 378.52-Alpha2 posted by Saifooz. So far the router has been sound but I did shut down the router and modem after upgrading to 378.52-Alpha2 to reset everything. That mean disconnecting my Arris SB6183 cable modem from the coaxial cable from Cox, powering down the router and waited over an hour before bringing the modem up and then the router once the modem was fully booted and up & running.

So far the router and Internet connection have been working without issue(s) since the physical reset of both modem and router.

I tried the 3-5-15 version of DD-WRT for 4 days. It ran pretty well but the 2.4GHz band dropped twice. The 2.4GHz SSID would be reported by inSSIDer and WiFi Analyzer as being present but when I tried to connect I would get connection failure messages I had never seen before. For instance, my cell phone (Samsung Note 2 running Kit Kat 4.4.2), would not connect at all to the 2.4GHz SSID. However, my Surface Pro 3 would connect but report the connection to the Internet to be unusable. The only way to recover the 2.4GHz band would be to do a factory reset and manually reenter my configuration settings.

So I went back to Merlin's 378.51-newqtn and then to the 378.52-Alpha2 posted by Saifooz. So far the router has been sound but I did shut down the router and modem after upgrading to 378.52-Alpha2 to reset everything. That mean disconnecting my Arris SB6183 cable modem from the coaxial cable from Cox, powering down the router and waited over an hour before bringing the modem up and then the router once the modem was fully booted and up & running.

So far the router and Internet connection have been working without issue(s) since the physical reset of both modem and router.

Please update on how that build works for you. Do you have beam forming enabled?
How is wireless transfer speed?

CC

Please update on how that build works for you. Do you have beam forming enabled?
How is wireless transfer speed?

CC
OK. So far 378.52-Alpha2 seems to be working well. One hiccup was when I awoke this morning to find the 5GHz band didn't want to connect. So, I did a manual reset of both modem (SB6183) and my AC87R which I should have already done anyway.

That means completely disconnecting the modem, after powering down both it and the router, and waiting for at least an hour. Then I reconnect the modem and bring it back online, power up the router and wait for it to fully boot up. That resolved the issue and all is well since.

NO BEAMFORMING OPTIONS ENABLED! It is not needed for my network topology so why bother? As for transfer speed I just downloaded the 3-19 version of DD-WRT wirelessly while on my patio in about 15-20 seconds so speed is not an issue.

I just wirelessly downloaded 378.52-Alpha3 in about 12 seconds while out on my patio. So I would say it is safe to say that speed is not an issue with 378.52-Alpha2.