What's new

DD-WRT on the NETGEAR R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,
At the end of the day running R7000 on new beta, IPV6 issue, No Telnet access, WiFi
5GHz band is different now. When I set mode to upto 1300Mbps, I couldn't connect
from Intel WiFi link 5100 card in -N. Now it connects fine. When I did ping test to known
server time improved(shorter) noticeably on both band.

I also still see the same issues I have here with Comcast IPv6 with this new Netgear beta firmware. So I'm back on dd-wrt...if I'm not going to use IPv6 anyways, I might as well have a decent web interface and privoxy, etc. Don't have any Intel wireless adapters, so if Broadcom fixed that, wouldn't affect me.

Steve makes an absolutely salient point here...

Take this as first hand knowledge - the Tx level settings on the chipset are rarely public - one has to sign NDA's, and even then, many vendors do not document the items needed.

The DD-WRT team has attempted to reverse engineer drivers, and with some chips, they've been able to do, well, something - but most modern WiFi modem/baseband/RF - it's a closed loop.

Steve makes an absolutely salient point here...

Take this as first hand knowledge - the Tx level settings on the chipset are rarely public - one has to sign NDA's, and even then, many vendors do not document the items needed.

The DD-WRT team has attempted to reverse engineer drivers, and with some chips, they've been able to do, well, something - but most modern WiFi modem/baseband/RF - it's a closed loop.

Fine, take this as first hand empirical knowledge, the wireless coverage and throughput of dd-wrt and stock firmware are very comparable at my house. So whatever they're attempting to do, they're producing more stable and more functional firmware according to my testing here, than Netgear is able to do.

Hi,
After trying Netgear's latest V1.0.3.49 f/w I am back to Kong's latest f/w. I just feel better
with dd-wrt.

I am noticing less range and slower transfer speeds using DD-WRT. Enough that it probably will keep me from using it. In the same room as the router, its actually a little faster with DD-WRT, but at the other end of our house it has slower speeds and some spots it has no connection. I tried increasing the Transmit power to 160.

Hi,
At present that is the case. dd-wrt is little slower but many folks don't mind that
for better feature and stability. Any how latest Kong's dd-wrt has two options
one with new radio driver, one with old. I am running new driver and notice 5GHz
band got wee bit better according to inSSIDer 4.

Yes, I've found that the "new" dd-wrt wireless drivers also result in a stonger signal and better wireless coverage for me. Better than the latest Netgear firmware here, in fact, according to WiFi Analyzer. But Netgear is due to have some new firmware at some point, so we'll see how that looks as well. Easy to go back and forth between the two.

Also, noticed that when I turn off privoxy (ad blocking at the router level), my ping time goes down quite a bit on my Android phone and iPad, to maybe 1/2 to 1/3 what it is with privoxy on. On the other hand, I'm not a gamer, so the universal ad blocking is more interesting than a really fast ping time *smile*. It doesn't seem that the ping time on my laptop is affected by privoxy for some reason.

I was bored, so, i went and got R7000 for some testing\whatever.

I flashed DD-WRT - Kong:
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/07/14) kongac
(SVN revision 24500M)

Everything seems to be running just fine.

I even overclocked this router, and temps look fine as well:

http://www.urimage.net/images/2014/07/18/2014-07-1813-33-53.png

Is there any other way then this to check DDR speed?

root@home:~# nvram get clkfreq

root@home:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 2786.91
Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x3
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 0

model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 2786.91
Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x3
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 0

Hardware : Northstar Prototype
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

So, CPU is @ 1.4Ghz and DDR is @ 800 Mhz as it should be, or?

Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!