What's new

DDNS not working with new AC-68U router even though host name is properly registered

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

box986

Occasional Visitor
I recently replaced my router with same model and manually entered all settings after flashing latest Merlin firmware. Asus released my DDNS hostname from old router and new router says this same name is now registered to the new router. I cannot access my DDNS remotely for some reason. There are some settings like "Internal' or "External" on the DDNS page that I'm not familiar with but neither option worked. Asus tech support told me to change Administration>System>"Enable web access from WAN" which did not solve the problem either.

Asus online support says the following regarding setting up DDNS: "If the wireless router is using a private WAN IP address (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 172.16.x.x), this router may be under a multi-layer NAT network. The DDNS service is not able to work under this environment. If you have any doubt with your IP, Please refer to your ISP for the detailed information."

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:
Check what IP is associated with your DDNS hostname using nslookup. If it's the correct IP, then your problem is not with DDNS, but with the service you are trying to remotely access.

IP does come back correctly using nslookup. I use my DDNS for three completely different services and none are working.

Any other setting in the GUI that needs to be changed? Internal or External on the DDNS page? Thanks!

Last edited:
IP does come back correctly using nslookup. I use my DDNS for three completely different services and none are working.

Any other setting in the GUI that needs to be changed? Internal or External on the DDNS page? Thanks!
If the IP matches what’s on your Wan network map page, then your issue isn’t in DDNS. Check your port forwarding I suppose.

Your DDNS is correctly configured as shown by the IP being correct. Your problem is either with the port forwards, your ISP blocking ports, your ISP modem/router blocking ports, or the firewalls on your destination services dropping traffic.

I recently replaced my router with same model and manually entered all settings after flashing latest Merlin firmware. Asus released my DDNS hostname from old router and new router says this same name is now registered to the new router. I cannot access my DDNS remotely for some reason. There are some settings like "Internal' or "External" on the DDNS page that I'm not familiar with but neither option worked. Asus tech support told me to change Administration>System>"Enable web access from WAN" which did not solve the problem either.

Asus online support says the following regarding setting up DDNS: "If the wireless router is using a private WAN IP address (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 172.16.x.x), this router may be under a multi-layer NAT network. The DDNS service is not able to work under this environment. If you have any doubt with your IP, Please refer to your ISP for the detailed information."

Any other ideas? Thanks!
Let us know if you figure out the issue. i am having a similar issue on my 68u as well.