What's new

DDNS not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mw4jet

New Around Here
Hi,
I have the ZenWiFi AX Mini mesh system, initial tests show great network speeds. I had ethernet previously distributed to where I had WAPs for network expansion, but had problems with dropped wifi calls etc, so I disconnected them. I am using ethernet backhaul from the Nodes.

I have a Nextcloud server and I have had a Domain name with No-ip.com for quite some time. I edited the WAN-DDNS page after getting the network up and able to access all my devices. When I first log in the "Network Map" tab shows "Internet Status"-connected, it shows my WAN IP, then it shows "DDNS" and my domain name.com

I know I have my username and password correct, I can go to my server and ping www.google.com and I the correct response with no packet loss.

One question, when I log in I usually use http://192.168.24.1 but I can also use http://router.asus.com. is this name setting causing a conflict?

I changed the nameserver ip addresses instead of the auto ones that were default.

I am wondering if anyone has had this issue?

I'm just wondering if you have a modem/Router between the internet and the router you're setting the DDNS up on?
Reason being your router would only return your dhcp IP rather than your public IP. Login on noip.com and see what your IP is there - don't update just check.

I'm just wondering if you have a modem/Router between the internet and the router you're setting the DDNS up on?
Reason being your router would only return your dhcp IP rather than your public IP.
I have a standalone modem. I replaced a Netgear router I flashed DD-WRT on and had access with that router.

I am currently away from home and I can access my server using my WAN IP:port# address so I know the port forwarding is set up correctly.

Did you check noip? (I'll wager it says 192.168.24.1).
Can you access your server using the domain name?

Reason being your router would only return your dhcp IP rather than your public IP.

No. Asuswrt uses external IP detection for DDNS service for quite some time now.

I am wondering if anyone has had this issue?

What's the issue? I see no issues in your description.

No. Asuswrt uses external IP detection for DDNS service for quite some time now.
Behind a modem not operating in bridge?
tbh it's that long since I used a modem I'm likely wrong.

Behind a modem not operating in bridge?

Yes. Here is an example on AX86U running 386 firmware:

1670857506856.png

In current 388 Asuswrt they have removed Internal/External field and External is used by default.

Yes. Here is an example on AX86U running 386 firmware:

View attachment 46241

In current 388 Asuswrt they have removed Internal/External field and External is used by default.
Yeah I don't have that setting so easily forgotten. Thanks.

You perhaps don't see it if you use different DDNS service or Asus' built-in DDNS. The feature came from Asuswrt-Merlin.

Running 388.1 on ax88u
Screenshot_2022-12-12-15-31-44-40_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643~2.jpg

I see. Perhaps removed and used by default as in 388 Asuswrt base.

What's the issue? I see no issues in your description.
I have made the changes that you highlighted by the screen shots. The option to select internal or external was not there when I set it up, but last evening as I stopped trying to get it working, I did a firmware update and that choice was there.

I tried external but found no change. Will this have a quick response or is it like when you first set up the DNS service it can take up to 48 hours for the nameservers to update.

I have done this numerous times before and never had an issue, but a question I have is that the router has the domain name "router.asus.com" that if input into a web browser gets me the web GUI, will it still direct "mydomain.com" to my server if I input that into the web browser?

I have samba shares and that is working normally.

will it still direct "mydomain.com" to my server if I input that into the web browser?

I still don't understand what's the issue. Dynamic DNS (DDNS) is used to track your external public IP address changes and link the current IP to a domain name. It's used for reaching your network from WAN. If you want to use this same domain name from your LAN you need something called NAT loopback and I don't know if it's supported by Asuswrt or if it is configurable at all. Or perhaps you need to modify your hosts file and link this domain to the internal server IP address when called from LAN. You may not be able to do it with stock Asuswrt though.

I cannot access my server by domain name internally or from outside my network. I can access my Webmin GUI by entering my WAN IP address and port number. I have a Nextcloud server I routinely access from outside my home and cannot now.

Inside my network I must use the IP for the Webmin GUI but I cannot access my Nextcloud at all. That uses this address https://nextcloud.mydomainname.com whether inside my network of from outside.

I have entered all the no-ip.com info at the WAN/DDNS tab of the router's GUI page.

Does your modem have a dmz function?

Unrelated, not needed. Your issue is domain to WAN IP related.
I searched through my account on the no-ip website and finally found a page with the IP on it and it was wrong. I got it updated and Viola! It works.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!