What's new

DDNS with Double NAT not update IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

afreire

Occasional Visitor
Hi I've a ASUS AC86U with the last firmware version, the router is behind a ISP router (double nat). I've configure DDNS with asus service and with external method to retrieve WAN IP. When the WAN IP change nothing happend, so the DDNS keep the old ip, the only way to renew the ip for the DDNS is to desactive y active the service again.

Is any way to keep update the ip in double NAT?

Regards

Look at the very same DDNS page, at the bottom. There is a setting how often to check for changes.

Hi I've a ASUS AC86U with the last firmware version,..

Is any way to keep update the ip in double NAT?
It is easier to provide help when people specify an ACTUAL firmware version as 'last' means different things to various people.

There are many ways to update an IP whether you are in single or double Nat. I prefer using a combination of the router and a script running on one of my Nas devices.

I'm using version 386.3_2. I put the "Force update interval" in one days, but that is not enough because, for example is the router check every midnight but you ISP change the WAN IP every middays you would be with an invalid IP for 12 hours. So It's necessary to check the WAN IP changes more frequently.

I've seen a script to keep updated the DDNS ip but it old, it's us ez_ipupdate command that not exists anymore. I'm looking forward a script to us inadyn service but I don't know how to running every x minutes, and how can coexists with the web ui configuration.

Regards

I don't have a router with Asuswrt-Merlin installed, but I clearly remember there was a setting to check the IP in minutes. It's a radio button at the bottom of the DDNS page. You have to enable it first and then select minutes. Take a look again. Force Update Interval is for updates to your DDNS provider.

Can you attach a screenshot of that page, please? I use No-IP as DDNS provider and it was set at 60 min.

Here, but the settings perhaps doesn't exist when using Asus provided DDNS service:
In theory the router should detect IP change and update DDNS automatically.

Last edited:
This is the Asus DDNS screen:
I see in other DDNS service WAN IP and hostname verification, are yo talking about that?
I've check it all DDNS service and the only without this option is ASUS, maybe I need to use another DDNS service.

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2021-09-13 a la(s) 10.25.48.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2021-09-13 a la(s) 10.25.48.png
    491.1 KB · Views: 184
Ok, thanks for that, I change to no-ip. The only bad things for that is I need to renew the domain every months.

Also be aware that in some parts of the world the asuscomm.com servers are in a very, very poor state right now.