Dead insect inside my LED Television

Xentrk

Part of the Furniture
I have a Samsung LED Backlight 55 inch 4K UHD Television. Yesterday, I noticed a small black area on the screen. At first I thought it was a dead pixel. But the television is only one year old.

After putting on my reading glasses to get a closer inspection, I am now able to see that it is a small insect that got inside of the television and died. At first, I tried rubbing with some LED screen cleaner and a micro-fiber cloth. The pressure I applied broke off some of the dead bug and moved an even smaller piece several inches below.

This appears to be rare and an internet search shows this has happened to others. I did try pulling on the part of the screen using a suction cup in the hopes that the dead insect will drop down into the non viewing area of the screen. No luck there.

For now, I will wait awhile before taking action. My hope is that the thing will dry up and turn to dust over time and drop down into the non viewing area of the screen. I am not yet ready to take the back cover off and try to get at it that way. I am afraid of breaking something. I would probably contact a service center first before doing that. On one youtube video, a guy had a moth die inside of his. At least mine is small. But still, it bugs me.
 

Internet Man

Senior Member
This happened to me. A small bug found its way between the layers of the LCD screen in my monitor and was crawling around. I tried to use the trick that someone suggested of applying tape to either side of the bug and using that to pull the screen outwards but I squished the bug so now I have a permanent spot in my monitor. The best thing to do if you see a living bug moving around in the screen is to leave it alone. It's probably even better to turn off the monitor and maybe provide another light source nearby since the bug probably found its way into the monitor following the light.

Here's a youtube video of someone else with the same problem.
 

Xentrk

Part of the Furniture
This happened to me. A small bug found its way between the layers of the LCD screen in my monitor and was crawling around. I tried to use the trick that someone suggested of applying tape to either side of the bug and using that to pull the screen outwards but I squished the bug so now I have a permanent spot in my monitor. The best thing to do if you see a living bug moving around in the screen is to leave it alone. It's probably even better to turn off the monitor and maybe provide another light source nearby since the bug probably found its way into the monitor following the light.

Here's a youtube video of someone else with the same problem.
Yep, looks like my little guy too. Just glad I don't have a moth inside like one guy did.

Since posting, I found some YouTube videos of how to take apart the LED television. It appears to be doable. I need to get some white gloves to avoid putting finger prints on the screen. I will give it some time before attempting in the hopes the little critter will dry up and turn to dust. I'd rather not take the apart if I can avoid it. Luckily, I don't notice it on most videos. Just the one's with a light background.
 

Pierino

Very Senior Member
Don't do it. I've cracked two led screens while repairing burned out led's.
Took them off ok but cracked both putting them back on.
They are extremely fragile.
 

TonyH

Very Senior Member

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
I need to get some white gloves to avoid putting finger prints on the screen
As you place down parts - be careful for lint and dust - there can be a fair amount of static electricity on the overlay panel, as such, it's a major dust magnet...
 

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Bit hard to believe. Neer happened to me. My favorite panels are always Sony or Panasonic.
Panasonic for the win - sadly, they're moving away from the TV biz due to very cheap panels from China...
 

Xentrk

Part of the Furniture
My first big screen TV was a Panasonic Plasma. I had to leave it with the step son when I decided to move here. Damn thing was heavy and was hot. The LED is much thinner and lighter in comparison. But at the time, the Plasma had the better picture, especially for sports. No tracer shadows like some of the non Plasma TV's had at the time. This was 2007. Things have come along way since then and evolve fast. By the time Consumer Reports releases their ratings, new models are on the floor that are not ranked and are probably better.
 

Pierino

Very Senior Member
I have 2 Panasonic plasmas. A tc-p55gt30 and a tc-p60st50, I think they are better than led tvs. At least no bugs can get behind my screen. :D
 

TonyH

Very Senior Member
Ditto, my home theater panel is Panasonic. No reason to replace it unless it dies beyond repair.
 

Xentrk

Part of the Furniture
I tried the suction cup method again. This time it worked. The dead insect fell to the bottom of the display. I can still see him though when looking at the screen close up. The smaller portion of the body that broke away is still there. I'll keep trying. Hoping that it will slowly turn to dust.
 

Smokin_Joe

Occasional Visitor
I tried the suction cup method again. This time it worked. The dead insect fell to the bottom of the display. I can still see him though when looking at the screen close up. The smaller portion of the body that broke away is still there. I'll keep trying. Hoping that it will slowly turn to dust.
Would it be safe to use compressed air near the joints of the screen? I have a compressor so that was one of my first thoughts.
 

Xentrk

Part of the Furniture
I have been using a suction cup to pull the screen so the little critters can fall down out of the viewing area. I covered the light source coming out of the back vent that is attracting the insects. The gnats must be coming in thru the small opening between the window screens. The light attracts them.
 

Shamtes

Occasional Visitor
I think you don't have any other way than to disassemble it then clean it from that bug and reassemble it. But honestly the trouble is a lot more than the outcome. Plus there's risk factor involved. And if you try something on the screen, it would only make it worse. So, the best way is to stay put and keep using it as it is.
 

Xentrk

Part of the Furniture
I decided to not disassemble after watching the videos. Too risky. I taped a piece a paper over the rear opening that the bugs were crawling into. That helped. There is a bright white light in the vent opening that must attract them. Even after that, another one crawled into the TV and died inside. This is the third one. Every few days, I take my suction cup and pull on the glass in the hopes it will fall down out of the viewing area. Apparently, it has not dried up enough yet!
 

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top