What's new

Debating: Because of problems with AX68U, keep using AC86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Amiga

Occasional Visitor
For weeks I've been struggling with clients, mostly iDevices and IoT, keeping their WAN connectivity on my new RT-AX68U / AX2700. These devices do stay connected to Wi-Fi (no internet though), but I even had an Ethernet connected camera crap out too. For weeks, I've tweaked everything to death trying to figure out what's going on. I was using Merlin 386.4 Alpha (which I don't blame), but just installed the new Asus 9.0.0.4.386_56898 Beta - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wvFKrOprbgDcrTk6yh84OOm8uZHsPgIZ?usp=sharing . This conversion was with webui and hard factory resets (plural). Upon setting up the AX68U again through its wizard, I opted to disable WiFi 6 (802.11ax) since I have a range of new and old crap connected. The only thing I've done extra is DoT and turned off universal / implicit beamforming. Things seem to be working better (less within the system log), but I need a full 24 hours to see if something goes awry with a client. The bonus using Asus' new beta firmware for the AX2700 is that it has WireGuard baked in. My debate is whether to return this $160 AX68U that seems to have a slightly better range than my old AC86U. I know of one other who has ditched their new AX router.

For weeks I've been struggling with clients, mostly iDevices and IoT, keeping their WAN connectivity on my new RT-AX68U / AX2700. These devices do stay connected to Wi-Fi (no internet though), but I even had an Ethernet connected camera crap out too. For weeks, I've tweaked everything to death trying to figure out what's going on. I was using Merlin 386.4 Alpha (which I don't blame), but just installed the new Asus 9.0.0.4.386_56898 Beta - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wvFKrOprbgDcrTk6yh84OOm8uZHsPgIZ?usp=sharing . This conversion was with webui and hard factory resets (plural). Upon setting up the AX68U again through its wizard, I opted to disable WiFi 6 (802.11ax) since I have a range of new and old crap connected. The only thing I've done extra is DoT and turned off universal / implicit beamforming. Things seem to be working better (less within the system log), but I need a full 24 hours to see if something goes awry with a client. The bonus using Asus' new beta firmware for the AX2700 is that it has WireGuard baked in. My debate is whether to return this $160 AX68U that seems to have a slightly better range than my old AC86U. I know of one other who has ditched their new AX router.
You may be expecting too much from the AX68U. Admittedly, the AC86U is a heck of a good router and it may be unfair to compare the AX68U to the AC86U but you have. You may want to keep both of them.
However, you may want to dump the Beta on the AX68U. Running it for Wireguard may be a bit premature. I have had issues with that Beta on my AX86U and a couple of others have reported the same issue with at least one report of a router being bricked. You may be lucky and not have issues, though. I recommend you go back to Asus factory firmware and avoid making WIFI changes other than bandwidth and channel. Try 2.4 GHz on 20 MHz Auto channel and 5 GHz on 80 MHz auto channel. Does not seem like good advice but my Asus has been doing better since I went that way. Also stick to WPA2-Personal unless you have an urgent and compelling need to try WPA3.

Fwiw, I refer you to the following RT-AX86U disconnect thread:

Fwiw, I refer you to the following RT-AX86U disconnect thread:

That thread was started eight months ago. There have been several good factory firmwares since then.
Sorry, but my AX86U has never had any disconnect issues on Asus or Merlin firmware. I used to tinker with the professional settitngs but have learned that the defaults seem to be the best with my range of clients from G to AX. HAve heard that the AX68U is just as good!

That thread was started eight months ago. There have been several good factory firmwares since then.
Sorry, but my AX86U has never had any disconnect issues on Asus or Merlin firmware. I used to tinker with the professional settitngs but have learned that the defaults seem to be the best with my range of clients from G to AX. HAve heard that the AX68U is just as good!
Unfortunately I have PPPoE disconnecting issues and random rebooting issues from ac68u ac86u ax86u, all of them are running 386.3_2.
I believe it's not hardware issue rather than recent software bugs, I had ac68u which was running before 384.x could last for 1 year without reboot and disconnecting.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!