What's new

Deubug the Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kram66

Occasional Visitor
Over the past few weeks, I’ve experienced a connection freeze on my system which seems to happen at least once a week. I lose all network connectivity and can’t connect to the router locally. The only way around it, is to hit the power button on the back router. I’ve tried the latest Merlin and ASUS firmware releases, however I experience the issue with both.

I’ve had the RT-AC68U for the past 18 months and apart from early firmware issues from ASUS, I haven’t had a problem.

The logs are destroyed after a reset which is annoying.
Is there any debugging that I can do to try and see where the problem is?

Enable logging to external syslog or local jffs/nvram.

Fatnastic.. How do I do that?

Search.

External syslog is somewhere in the settings (system settings?). You just put in the IP of your external syslog server. You can setup a simple syslog server by using netcat and listening to UDP port 514.

Logging to jffs/nvram is probably simpler, but I have never done it so you would need to search. It should be easily found.

Note that syslog rarely contains much helpful information for those type of problems. Main method of troubleshooting this is by using a serial cable connected to the router's PC board, as this is where the kernel's error messages get output.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!