What's new

[Dev] Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 development

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured someone "else" among us... might know that obscure song & band.
Or even just hit the PLAY Triangle on the bottom right to check it out.
Perhaps it's a personality disorder, but for some reason...
-If I can reference a song-line or two to convey my words... I'll often do so.
It typically amuses me.
It's kinda neat to establish a commonality sometimes between total strangers.
A type of ICE-Breaker...
But to be honest, I've never listened to any of the other bands you listed.
However, I do plan to check them out when I have some spare time, Thanks.

P.S. & my humble apologies to those who prefer to stay on topic
Yeh we used to call those bands "the big four" back when "indie" was "indie" before the Brit Pop swept it under the carpet.
I was in a "local" indie band back in the 90's and we used to idolise those bands, I think I probably saw those 4 bands about 100 times between them. The eight legged groove machine was the stuffies finest, along with hup.

The wonderstuff are still going today, I actually met them briefly when my band recorded a demo tape at the same studio they were in. I say met - it was a very brief "hello you alright".

Unfortunately the singer of mega city four (my personal favourite of those 4 bands) passed away about 10 years ago from a brain tumour, and the singer of The senseless things sadly passed away from copd a year or two back. It's frightening as it exposes your own vulnerability at our age (I'm 50 now) It was the album "tranzophobia" (meaning fear of travelling or fear of their own transit van" by mega city four that got me into the scene and basically changed my life when I went into Our Price and picked up the vinyl. Back when there was basically no internet (imagine)

Yes sorry for going off topic, but for me those years were a big deal. Also check out, thousand yard stare, midway still, levellers,pixies and smashing pumpkins Great bands that I lived for, I hope that if even one of you guys checks out those bands and "gets it" then we've done a good thing here.

I also try and throw lyrics into conversation for fun lol.

Back to the topic... Looking forward to the next AX86U update.

Last edited:
Use the firmware recovery tool. It should work. You should only have to do this once, if this continues return the router with stock firmware on it.
Same outcome I'm afraid. I can flash the ASUS firmware with the recovery tool. It then fails to flash 388.1.
However, I can still flash 386.8 just as before so I'm hoping that there's just a problem with the alphas.

HB

I don't know what are the exact changes between the two. But with so many supported models now, people will have to get used to not having every models always on the same or the latest release. It took over a month to get all of these 388 GPLs.
Asus has the same model for their firmware versions. They, too, release firmware for various hardware over time with the version numbers changing — perfectly normal.

Same outcome I'm afraid. I can flash the ASUS firmware with the recovery tool. It then fails to flash 388.1.
However, I can still flash 386.8 just as before so I'm hoping that there's just a problem with the alphas.

HB
Are you sure you have the right firmware? I mean really sure. There are two version available a PRO and non-PRO version.

Are you sure you have the right firmware? I mean really sure. There are two version available a PRO and non-PRO version.
Yes. There’s no pro version of the GT-AXE16000 that I’m aware of.

Per the screenshot a few posts ago there’s two firmware types available in these alpha releases (rog and non-rog) and neither will flash unfortunately.

HB

All required GPLs have now been received and merged in, and I worked out the last remaining fixes/changes I had planned for 388.1. We should be good to hit beta sometime this weekend.
Nice! Bring on the RT-AX86U build!

Yes. There’s no pro version of the GT-AXE16000 that I’m aware of.

Per the screenshot a few posts ago there’s two firmware types available in these alpha releases (rog and non-rog) and neither will flash unfortunately.

HB
Do any of the available 388.1 alpha files for your router work?

@RMerlin OMG I'm so excited... I feel like a kid before X-mas.
Looking forward to flashing my RT-AX86U (hopefully this weekend).

@BreakingDad I'm almost without words. WOW. Very cool. I'll turn 50 (this December) but couldn't agree more. The Wonderstuff albums: Eight Legged Grove Machine, & HUP were their best.
IMO bands often struggle as time goes by, they seem to lose their edge or angst. More noticeably after moderate to mega success... perhaps they have less to complain about? Not saying they have to be angry all the time but simply cranking out songs to fulfill contractual obligations for record labels... BOO.

@Crimliar I had to Google (what/where) Wolverhampton Civic Hall was all about. (Sooo Jealous)
As I grew up & still live in Western Canada.

As a teenager I quickly realized that radio stations played the same (type/genre) music & worse yet the same top 20 songs over & over. I vowed not to buy most of the music I heard on the radio. Hence I actively perused alternative music. Obviously, many great bands are regionalized & their popularity never transcends across the BIG-POND nor even from Country-Country.

EDIT: But one thing we can all agree on is... RMERLIN Rocks !!!
And we're looking forward to his latest release :cool:

Last edited:
Do any of the available 388.1 alpha files for your router work?
The latest two 388 alphas fail. I tried the first 388 alpha a few weeks ago but WiFi 2.4 was not working correctly (I’ve not tried this one again).

Looks like the betas are only a few days away so I’ll try one of these once available.

HB

@RMerlin Thanks again for all your hard work, I’ve been a merlin user on my AC5300 For about 6 years and just upgraded to a GT-AXE16000, just Installed the beta 388 and OMG you’ve smashed it again, thank you so so so much. Could I possibly ask for 1 thing to be added, that being more than 5 WireGuard and OVPN profiles being allowed to be added please. I was looking forward to having 14/16 as asus advertised. I sometimes need 1 provider for 1 thing then a second provider for something else with different locations.

I have 2 WG configs loaded and tested with VPN director and working flawless.

is it possible/ will you be adding the ability to have different devices connected to different servers/VPNs like fusion or will you not be doing this?

thanks again and I owe you a coffee or pint!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.