What's new

Devices are not able to be seen on Asus Wireless Router in Bridge Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

atom715

New Around Here
My network is as follows

ISP -> Arris Modem -> Asus RT-AX3000[x.x.x.1] ))) Asus RT-AC3100[x.x.x.5] -> server (with 3 vm's)

I am running the Asus RT-AC3100 in bridge mode connected to my main router (everything is run on WiFi in my house[can't/don't want to run lines]). after the Asus RT-AC3100 i have an ethernet cable into the server.

Everything in my house always has internet and connects to the internet without any issues, BUT after several hours my Asus RT-AC3100 router (in bridge mode) and everything connected to it, will just decide to not respond to ping from my lan. I have to use google remote desktop to access these devices and ping out from the Bridge side to my LAN for me to be able to rdp into the vm's. This has been happening every day since I set it up like this.

I can ping main router from lan @ x.x.x.1 but not the bridge router @ x.x.x.5. When I am in one of my vm's I can ping x.x.x.5 and access it, but my desktop cannot reach x.x.x.5 until I ping my desktop from the bridge router @ x.x.x.5. The routers can always ping and see each other without issue, but it is the lan side vs the bridge side where there is an occasional disconnect.

I am not sure if there is a drop from one of the routers, but I would appreciate some assistance :)

What is the .1 router DHCP server IP Pool range?

How is the .5 bridge IP address assigned?

Are firmwares current and reset to factory defaults before configuration?

Have you tested trying to ping bridge non-VM clients?

OE

The .1 ip pool is from 4-254

The .5 is statically assigned from the .1 (the .1 does dhcp, .5 will pass dhcp through)

both deviceshave the most up to date firmware and was configured after the install.

The only devices after the bridge is the host, and 3 vm’s; 4 “devices” total.

The .1 ip pool is from 4-254

The .5 is statically assigned from the .1 (the .1 does dhcp, .5 will pass dhcp through)

both deviceshave the most up to date firmware and was configured after the install.

The only devices after the bridge is the host, and 3 vm’s; 4 “devices” total.

So...

I would make the pool .6-254 (or .10-254), since .5 bridge is assigned statically by you and not by DHCP from the pool.

Being configured after the firmware install is a given. Were they reset to factory defaults before being configured was the question?

If you wire a simpler LAN client to the bridge, can you ping it?

OE

I have updated the IP pool to 100-254 (I have many staticly assigned devices under .100). Will update in a day or so to see if this has resolved the issue.

Update, I turned off my desktop and when I powered it back on n time later, I was unable to reach the .5 bridge, OR any of the ip's after it, .40 .42 .43 and .44. All of these devices have statically assigned ip's from the .1 router and within their network settings. I am going to remove the static settings on .1 and manually set them on the devices and see if that changes anything. Let me know if there are any other suggestions.

Update, I turned off my desktop and when I powered it back on n time later, I was unable to reach the .5 bridge, OR any of the ip's after it, .40 .42 .43 and .44. All of these devices have statically assigned ip's from the .1 router and within their network settings. I am going to remove the static settings on .1 and manually set them on the devices and see if that changes anything. Let me know if there are any other suggestions.

I suggest you assign a static IP to the router LAN, like 192.168.1.1, and let its DHCP server manage your network clients. :)

OE