What's new

Devices Connecting to 192.168.0.xxx instead of 192.168.1.xxx

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus RT-AC87U and the router is connected to a Hitron CODA 4582U in residential gateway mode. - If the CODA is Gateway mode, then it's acting as a router. It would have an address of 192.168.100.1.

If you want to run it in bridge mode, you won't have wireless from the CODA.. You need to decide which device you want to be the router / DHCP Server in your network.

As other's have suggested, a cleanup is required. Setting the CODA to bridge mode. If I was to pick, I would use the Asus as the router. If you are using VPN's I would suggest using another network, other than 192.168.1.x, potential for, possible VPN conflict.

I want the Asus to be the router for a number of reasons. I am already in bridge mode. That turns off wifi on the router. How does the device pickup an IP from a device with the wifi turned off?

I am not familiar with your Hitron. All I know is what I read in that link.

I am already in bridge mode. That turns off wifi on the router.
Clearly that is not the case. You said the bogus SSIDs disappeared when you turned off the Hitron. Also, when you connected to the bogus SSID's you got a 192.168.0.x address indicating that the Hitron is in router mode.

The article I linked to says that to put the Hitron into bridge mode you need to "disable the Residential Gateway Function".
Bridging your modem allows you to use a third-party router and disables the modem’s Wi-Fi capability.

The Hitron's base IP is 192.168.0.1. Now I've checked twice and the Hitron is in gateway/bridge mode. The ssid's are shown as greyed out. No devices connected. The ssid's on the Hitron modem (when I first installed it) are the one's show on my Firecube and connect to a an IP address such as 192.168.0.xxx. So the Hitron is in bridge, but somehow assigning IP's.
The other ssid's that appear on my Firecube are assigned by the Asus router and connect to a 192.168.1.xxx ip address.
I can't explain it, it just has been happening.
Perhaps I can go into the Hitron and delete the ssid's and leave the field blank. Then put it into bridge mode. Maybe off isn't completely off.

Perhaps there is a firmware bug on the gateway causing you issues. Although it may seem disabled it may indeed not be. Just a thought..

Can you provide a screen shot of the Basic Settings > Gateway Function page, and the Status page, so that we can see the same as things you.

I will contact Rogers tomorrow and let them mess with it. Won't hurt to reset the Asus at the same time.

Can you provide a screen shot of the Basic Settings > Gateway Function page, and the Status page, so that we can see the same as things you.
I'm just heading out the door to celebrate the season...will do this tomorrow. At least I know I am connected to the Asus at this point.
Might be time for an Orbi or 2.

You've put in a full day's work trying to solve this. Post 12 (Nuclear Reset) could have been completed about 10 times by now. :)

Take your break and celebrate for tonight. Tomorrow, forget about contacting your ISP unless you want to spend another unproductive day on your network.

Simply:
  • Reset the Hitron.
  • Update to the current firmware, if needed.
  • Disable the WiFi radios.
  • Put the Hitron into Bridge mode (you may have to use a specific LAN port on the back of it).
  • If this works out as you need, (test to see you don't have any phantom SSID's with your laptop), you're done.
  • If there are still glitches;
  • Reset the Asus router to factory defaults making sure to check the 'Initialize all settings...' box (if applicable to your Asus model).
  • Once it has rebooted and you have done a temporary setup...
  • Format the JFFS partition and reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes waiting 5 to 10 minutes between reboots.
  • Flash the router with the latest firmware available.
  • Once it has rebooted and you have done a temporary setup...
  • Reset to factory defaults once more, making sure to check the 'Initialize all settings...' box (if applicable to your Asus model).
  • Now, do a minimal and manual configuration to secure your router and connect to your ISP using never before connected to (anywhere) SSID's).
You should have your network back at this point. Estimated time: less than an hour if you do things methodically and follow the guides in my signature below (M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides). :)

There should be no need to do anything with the Asus. There is nothing wrong with the Asus setup, this is entirely a Hitron issue.

There should be no need to do anything with the Asus. There is nothing wrong with the Asus setup, this is entirely a Hitron issue.

That is why I put "If there are still glitches". :)

Hi Folks, I went back into the modem and router this morning. Connection was fine, but curiously the WAN IP was 192.168.0.1.
I called Rogers and just got off the line. The Tech said that the modem was out of bridge/gateway mode and reset it. After that I see no 192.168.0.1 ssid's. For sure I checked twice yesterday and the modem was in gateway/bridge mode and the wifi ssid's were greyed out/off. I asked him about having IP's in my devices available from both their modem/router and my Asus router that I could connect to and he couldn't explain it and had never seen it before. Because of this wierdness I will go ahead and reset the Asus router. Its been a long time since I have done it.
Anyways, the reset seemed to fix things. I asked about deleting the ssid's from the modem and he said no problem. I think I may leave them or rename them and keep an eye open for the problem to redevelop. Thoughts?
Anyways I appreciate everyone's help with this. I hope I don't see this again, but if I do I know what to do to fix it. Cheers and Have a great holiday season.

Sorry, one question. In the steps to reset the router it says to disconnect any USB devices. Should all devices that connect to the router be disconnected?

Can you just clarify the meaning of your phrase "the modem was out of bridge/gateway mode". Bridge Mode and Residential Gateway Mode are two different things (the opposite of each other), the terms are not interchangeable. To be in Bridge Mode you must disable Residential Gateway Mode.

Can you just clarify the meaning of your phrase "the modem was out of bridge/gateway mode". Bridge Mode and Residential Gateway Mode are two different things (the opposite of each other), the terms are not interchangeable. To be in Bridge Mode you must disable Residential Gateway Mode.

Sorry Colin, its now in gateway mode.

Sorry Colin, its now in gateway mode.
Have I been misunderstanding you all this time? I thought that is the mode that you don't want it to be in? :confused: All this time we've been trying to get you to take the Hitron out of gateway mode (aka "router mode") and into bridge mode (aka "modem-only mode").

You said in post #1 "I set up the Hitron from day 1 as a modem only and disabled the router."

I'm really sorry about this. I have done the confusing part. At some point my old and feeble mind began to
confuse bridge and gateway. Its bridge mode I want.

The Rogers rep definitely reset and then put the modem back into Bridge this am. I am now connected properly modem to router. Curiously I can't connect to the modem anymore. I think it has to be reset to allow access.

I still want to reset the RT-AC87U. Should I disconnect any connecting devices accessing the router prior to reset?

I still want to reset the RT-AC87U. Should I disconnect any connecting devices accessing the router prior to reset?
You don't need to disconnect any of your LAN devices. Just make sure that you unplug any USB drives you may have plugged into the router itself.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!