What's new

DHCP-NAT IP Dropout

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lumpy2

New Around Here
Hi to all,

I have a local area network with DHCP-NAT and bridging issues.

http://img.whirltools.com/i/46483205574675137853.png

Overnight when PC’s and routers are turned off the CVG824g refuses to release IP addresses to the WGR614 Wireless Router in the House and computers locally connected to the CVG824g in the Study.

My previous posts are at bc.whirlpool;

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1507886

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1548519

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1516332

I would really appreciate some help in getting our network working again.

Regards,

KH

I have read through most of those posts and replies you linked to - whew! Personally, and don't take this the wrong way, I think you have focused too much effort on the wrong parts.

In general, I agree with the idea of just giving up on using the DHCP function of the CVG824G and setting all else (except the WGR614) to fixed addresses. Ideally, you should go into the configuration settings of the 824 and limit its DHCP address range to as small as possible (i.e. set the 824 to 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.10 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0) and set fixed addresses outside this range but within the same subnet for the Study and workshop PC's (i.e. PC#1 = 192.168.0.20, PC#2 = 193.168.0.21, etc.). Let the 614 get a DHCP leased from the 824 and either use its DHCP server to service the Home PC's or use fixed addresses - your choice - on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet.

Another solution would be to reassign the 614 as the main router and have everybody get DHCP addresses from it while it would get a DHCP leased from the 824 (one simple connection). Of course this would mean likely moving the 614 to the Study and having the 824 wired to it (and ONLY it - meaning that Optus would have their "one guaranteed PC" connection - the 824) which may be problematic for your wireless Home PC's (I don't know your location specifics such as how far your "home" is from your "study", etc.). It would also mean that your home PC's would be on the same subnet as your Study and workshop PC's which may be a security issue (but there are ways to alleviate this using port restrictions, etc.).

A final and more elegant solution might be to purchase a new wired router which you would use as the primary DHCP server. It would connect to the 824 and get its (again only ONE - so Optus would be happy) DHCP lease from the 824 and then provide DHCP and NAT servicing to the rest of your network. From the 824's point of view, the new router would be its only client and that's all it would need to service. Using this, you could have the 614 and everybody else all getting DHCP leases from the new router or use fixed address when and where needed. Also, you could assign a different subnet to the client side of the 614 as your diagram illustrates thereby keeping the home and study PC's on separate subnets. If you go this route try to pick and purchase as good a router as you can afford with as many configurable settings as possible so as to provide maximum flexibility for future changes and upgrades. Personally, I prefer enterprise class equipment as it yields better reliability, in my opinion and from my experience, so I would choose something in that class if funds allow (even a low end enterprise class router would be fine, I think, like the Linksys RV042 I use). This solution would also accommodate any possible changes to your future ISP service easily as you would simply replace the modem or modem/router (like your current 824) connected to the new primary router - everything else stays the same. In fact, with this configuration, your local network would stay working (printers, file shares, etc.) even if the ISP provided modem/router is entirely disconnected or off; whatever you get in the future for ISP service will only need to connect to the new primary router and nothing else.

-Mike

Last edited: