What's new

Windows Homegroup Network – Should I use Router IP or ISP as DNS Servers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

msjpt

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

At my small office network I don’t have any server. I have 5 x windows 7 PC’s and 2 x network printers, all setup and connected using Windows 7 build in Homegroup network feature.

In terms of network hardware I have the following setup:
ISP Router with IP: 192.168.1.1 > LAN > WAN > My Own Draytek 2130 Router (IP: 192.168.0.1) > TP-Link Unmanaged Gigabit Switch

My ISP router does not allow bridge or to be be set just as a modem. So I have a double NAT problem and to minimize this problem impact I have activate DMZ on my ISP Router pointing to my Draytek Router IP.

Some of the computers connect directly to the Draytek router and the printers and other PC’s, connect directly to the TP-Link switch.

Regarding DNS servers, my ISP Router is set to use my ISP default DNS servers (that by the way are very fast in my area).

Now I need help and advice on how to setup the rest of my DNS server on the Draytek Router and PC’s. About this I have the following questions:

1- On the Draytek router, should I set the DNS to be:

a) Set to automatic get dns servers from WAN connection
b) Manually define my ISP DNS servers (the same that are being used on the ISP Router)
c) Manually define my ISP Router IP (192.168.1.1) as the only DNS server?

2- On the Draytek router DHCP is disabled, so all PC’s have to be manually set with Static IP’s and DNS settings. As said before all the network is connected using Windows Homegroup. So on the DNS network settings on each PC, what should I set on DNS servers section:

a) Both my ISP DNS servers IP’s
b) Just my Draytek Router IP (192.168.0.1)
c) Just my ISP Router IP (192.168.1.1)
d) Both my Draytek and ISP Router IP’s (192.168.1.1 + 192.168.0.1)

Thanks

Use Automatic DNS from your ISP and use DHCP enabled.

If you want to have specific IP's for each device; use DHCP reservations in the Draytek 2130 Router.

Why are you making this so difficult? :)

Use Automatic DNS from your ISP and use DHCP enabled.

If you want to have specific IP's for each device; use DHCP reservations in the Draytek 2130 Router.

Why are you making this so difficult? :)

DHCP for this setup in not an option. So i will setup all computers with Static IPs. So what IP or IP's do i use in the computers dns server settings?

At the moment i have set the Draytek Router to automatic get DNS servers from the ISP router and then all my computers have set the Draytek Router IP, as their only / single DNS server. Is this setup ok?

Please tell me what of the options i stated on my fisr message i should use.

Thanks

For many years, I've used these two DNS servers in PCs and router settings. These two have low latency and are cornerstones of the Internet:

As to Windows Homegroup... I disable that and just use Workgroup as was used in Windows XP and forward. Homegroup, most may agree, was a bad concept.

For many years, I've used these two DNS servers in PCs and router settings. These two have low latency and are cornerstones of the Internet:

As to Windows Homegroup... I disable that and just use Workgroup as was used in Windows XP and forward. Homegroup, most may agree, was a bad concept.

Hi stevech,

Thanks for your advice, but because im located in Portugal, global public dns servers like the ones from Google for example, are a little bit slow from here, because of the high distance to their servers that causes latency around 50ms because their closest DNS server is in UK.

So i think is better for me to use, my ISP DNS servers, because they are located here in Portugal and i get around 10ms latency when connecting to them.

So on my ISP Router the DNS servers defined, are my ISP DNS servers. My Draytek Router is set to automatic get DNS servers from the WAN that is connected to my ISP Router.

So what do i set as DNS servers on my office computers? My ISP DNS, or just my Draytek Router IP: 192.168.0.1? Or both my ISP (192.168.1.1) and my Draytek Router IP: 192.168.0.1

Thanks

Still think you're over thinking this.

But just as with DHCP enabled; I would set the Default Gateway and the DNS servers to the router the devices are connected to.

A simple test with the equipment setup as you want could have pointed this out already.

I am not sure what the difference is that you're expecting from the options you present?

Also agree with stevech to disable the homegroup (first thing I do with a new laptop).

Could you provide an example of why the homegroup is so important in your use?

Set your router to use the ISP assigned DNS. And PC to DHCP mode, not static IP for DNS.

Use a windows command box.
Type in nslookup yahoo.com
and some others. Take an average. Hope for 20mSec or less.
Then try some other DNS servers with commands like
nslookup yahoo.com 4.2.2.2 (or whatever)

You seem to be making your life unnecessarily difficult.

I won't comment on homegroups other than that I always set the network location to Work, which doesn't use Homegroups anyway.

You can simply set your computers/ clients to DHCP mode. Let the Draytek sort out the rest.

Any half-decent modern router (I'v no experience with Drayteks but from what I've seen, they do some decent units) will allow DHCP reservations so you can assign your devices fixed IPs (presumably, the only reason you actually set static IPs is that you them to access systems rather than hostnames).