What's new

DHCP packet received on br1 which has no address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WifiGhost

Regular Contributor
After creating 2 new bridges for 2 of the wifi's that are going to VLANs, i see the following message in the logs, but all is working as after as I can tell:

bridges
br0 - default
br1 - new

log entry
dnsmasq-dhcp[1777]: DHCP packet received on br1 which has no address

due to the amount of entries I am curious to figure out what this means, google did not provide a lot of info, just to exclude the above interface so it does not show up in the logs

Last edited:
AsusWRT-Merlin does NOT support VLANs and additional bridges natively. So you must have either developed these changes yourself using the CLI, or perhaps using some third-party tutorial or scripting. And given that, it's hard to know where things *might* have gone wrong to create the current situation.

Based solely on the message, and your mentioning "i never assigned br1 an IP", I'm going to assume what you meant is that you never defined a DHCP server for the br1 bridge/network. And hence, if any client on that network attempts to contact DNSMasq for DHCP purposes, it's going to generate this message. If you want to eliminate the message, perhaps make an exception for that network interface in DNSMasq.

Code:
except-interface=br1

Or just use different bridge names since br1 and br2 are already used by the firmware for Guest Network 1 and already create dhcp-range entries in dnsmasq.conf.

AsusWRT-Merlin does NOT support VLANs and additional bridges natively. So you must have either developed these changes yourself using the CLI, or perhaps using some third-party tutorial or scripting. And given that, it's hard to know where things *might* have gone wrong to create the current situation.

Based solely on the message, and your mentioning "i never assigned br1 an IP", I'm going to assume what you meant is that you never defined a DHCP server for the br1 bridge/network. And hence, if any client on that network attempts to contact DNSMasq for DHCP purposes, it's going to generate this message. If you want to eliminate the message, perhaps make an exception for that network interface in DNSMasq.

Code:
except-interface=br1
since you posted the same fix as google I will just do that

So as I was about to exclude br1, you can give bridges an IP, br0 the original bridge shows an IP that is the same IP as the IP I set in the router webgui as I use a static IP, so I assigned the other bridges an IP accordingly and no more entries

for those who come across this, the log entry means a DHCP packet was received, but the interface it was received on has no IP address set for it so set an IP address for that interface to solve it

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!