1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

DHCP problems? AC86U on ziggo modem (Technicolor tc7210.z)

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by bhennink, Apr 21, 2019.

1. bhennink

bhennink New Around Here

Hi I have n ASUS RT-AC86U modem with Merlin firmware.
    This was doing fine until today.
    Internet connection was lost after power loss.
    Had some heavy contact with Ziggo support and the guarantied that the modem is OK
    Connecting the PC directly to the modem gave a working connection.
    So for now the ziggo modem in reset from bridged modem to normal mode such that we have internet again.
    After this I realized I have another TP link router hanging as range extender, that after reset is now connected as router to the moden . This has no issues.

I am a bit stuck here. I want the Asus back but how do I get this solved?
    There are no special settings done in the router.
    All local traffing over the asus router is fine. It only keeps telling "No internet connection"

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

What firmware is installed on it specifically? What, if any, custom configurations past defaults have you applied to it?

There are a lot of potential fixes for your issue. Try using search while others come and read this new thread.

3. bhennink

bhennink New Around Here

@L&LD the Merlin firmware is RT-AC86U_384.10_2.
    I have not done any odd custom configurations.
    I have used theVPN client the last months, which I switched off after discovering connection problems. Furter a few reserved addresses in the DHCP settings. And off course the Wifi SSID's and passwords for the connecttions. And AirVPN suggested DNS servers.
    I am aready busy searching and ended also up here on this forum;) For non native Englisch it is sometimes hard to find a proper search string
    I did a lot of searching already but no luck sofar,. I have found some post related to dropping DHCP connection but did not get the feeling that this was a similar problem, my connection does not come up at all as far as I can see..
    The weird thing is that the TPLink 4300 router works without problem in the same setup

BTW I hade the same problems with the stock Firmware That is why I did not submit the question in the dedicated Rmerlin section. A bizarre coincidence is that this happend a good week after making a donation for the merlin software because I was happy with it an now I had to drop it for this moment. So I hope I get this solved.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    L&LD likes this.