What's new

DHCP Server Recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BostonDan

Regular Contributor
I have a home network which is headed over 20 devices. All devices acquire their address from a DIR-655. Devices consist of:
1) NAS's (ReadyNAS Duo, Synology DS209)
2) Roku Media Player
3) Itouch
4) VoIP Adapter
4) Wireless Printers
5) Wireless Bridges (to enabled Wired Printers)
6) Wireless Access Points
7) Laptops and Netbooks
I think I have hit the limit of the DHCP reservation table. Every time I attempt to add another device, the router goes into a mode of testing bandwidth and then logs me out. When I log back in, the last DHCP reservation table entry is never saved. Rather than try and fix this, I'd like to see if there is a better solution.
Does anyone know if there is a router or some other dedicated hardware device with DHCP reservation capabilities that I can setup as a dedicated DHCP server, supports a large DHCP reservation table, and the ability to update the DHCP reservation table through a text file. I realize I can setup a PC to accomplish this, but I'd like to avoid going down that path if I can.
In advance, appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Router Recommendation

Is anyone out there using a DHCP reservation table with more than 20 devices listed? If yes, can you please tell me which router you are using and the number of devices. ---Thanks again - Dan.

Why not use static addresses for your NAS, media player, printers VOIP, and bridges? These are all devices ripe for static IP's.....

Set static IP's outside the range of the DHCP range in your DIR-655 and you should be fine. I usually use above .200 for static services.

Why not use static addresses for your NAS, media player, printers VOIP, and bridges? These are all devices ripe for static IP's.....

Set static IP's outside the range of the DHCP range in your DIR-655 and you should be fine. I usually use above .200 for static services.

Hi Claykin - Thanks for replying - I've thought of going with static IP addresses, but for no real valid reason, I'm trying to avoid that path. I like the idea of having a central system for managing MAC/IP address table without having to create a seperate tracking document. If I need to reboot/reset a device, I don't have to remember the IP address or search for the doc containing IP address. I can set it up for DHCP and let it the DHCP reservation table take care of it. I called Dlink and they stated DHCP reservation tables contained in all of their consumer routers are designed for up to 10 to 15 users. So far, it looks like a business firewall/router might be my only hope. Thanks again. - Dan

USG20 and USG50

Thanks Claykin - Investigating these a bit further. Can you tell me if these devices are any more difficult to setup and support than a standard router? I've never setup hardware firewall. - Appreciate the help. - Dan.

As a FYI - I contacted Dlink support and they stated their consumer grade routers support 10 to 15 DHCP reservations - my DIR-655 stopped at 17. Cisco support stated their new E series routers all support up to 50 DHCP reservations.

Last edited:
Thanks Claykin - Investigating these a bit further. Can you tell me if these devices are any more difficult to setup and support than a standard router? I've never setup hardware firewall. - Appreciate the help. - Dan.

Yes setup of the Zywalls is more involved than a consumer router. It has many more features and granular controls. The basics can be setup using their web wizard which should at least get you up and running. Things like DHCP reservations is handled separately in the GUI. Zyxel provides a half decent manual on the CD included.

Tim did a review of the USG100 a while back. He gives some info on setup and includes screenshots. The Zyxel OS has changed quite a bit since Tim's review, but the nuts and bolts are still the same. Note that the USG20 has fewer features than the other Zywalls.

Maximum is 24

On my DIR-655 the maximum of reserved IP-addresses is 24.
When I try to reserve the 25th, it will show the message "No more reservations may be created".
My firmware version is 1.31NA, 2009/04/24

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!