What's new

Diagnosing slow internet speed issues..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tom Brough

Regular Contributor
Not tech savvy and been suffering for the past fortnight with slow internet speeds, its like a 8-10 second delay to load a page despite the router speedtest showing 1100 down 52 upload speed (virgin uk)

Tried factory reset on router, no difference. Tried using google dns, no change. Tried resetting virgin router but again no difference. Contacted virgin and they say no fault they can see (dont they always say that though?)

Im now stuck as my knowledge has reached its limit and i dont know what to try next. Anyone got any tips? Better still anyone got 10 mins one night to remote access my chromebook and take a look see if they see what im missing, happy to pay for the time.

Network normally goes virgin box in modem mode to asus GT-Ax11000 via 2.5gb cable, and 2 XT8 in AI mesh connection. (currently no AI mesh after router reset but still same) Tried stock firmware and currently on stable merlin but no change.

Would i be better to use the virgin box as a router and the AX11000 as a AP?

might be DNS resolving server issue, but someone more expert will chime in.

Is this happening across all devices connected, both wired and wireless ?
What link rate does the ASUS indicate that it has between the modem and the ASUS WAN port ?

Power off the other nodes and work just with the router and modem.

If you switch the modem back to router mode, and connect PC by wireto that device's lan port, what happens ?
If that is ok, if you connect the ASUS WAN port to the modem/router lan port and a PC to the ASUS lan port, what happens ?

IF it is a DNS issue, -

Do you specify the address of the DNS server in the Asus or in the PC/tablet/phone ?

If the PC/tablet is using the ASUS TCP/Ip address (perhaps 192.168.1.1 or something like that), then log into the ASUS and try 8.8.8.8 (google) or 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) or 9.9.9.9 (Quad9) for the DNS server entry.

Last edited:
It's all devices wired or wireless, and everything works just has a big delay in responding.

I don't have any devices with ethernet, laptop would need a usb3 to ethernet adaptor...

Currently the router handles DNS, my ISP supplied but also using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I'm gonna try using the ISP router at the weekend by itself, I've tried multiple reboots of it.

I had similar problem with my bt business hub in modem mode to 2x asus rt-ax86u wired back haul where my download speed would drop from 260 to 130,reset all my routers still the same,bt enginer checked my line and said it's fine,as a last resort I unplugged the asus router and reset the bt business and then setup the bt hub on its own,with my pc and iphone connected with wired and 5g the speed still dropped to 130,put my original bt smart hub bck in and my speed was bck to 260 so it's obviously a fault with the bt business hub,reset ur virgin hub bck to router mode and connect a wired device to it,it might be your hub

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!