What's new

Dialing By SIP URIs??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mgraves

Regular Contributor
OK, here's a little personal survey. I'm curious to know how many SNB readers are able to make VOIP calls using SIP URIs instead of traditional phone numbers?

Can you dial via URI? Have you ever done this?

Michael Graves

I've done this on an old asterisk box I set up for a previous office I worked at. Support for dialing like that is kinda sketchy but it does work. But on a regular basis no, I just dialed normal numbers.

Though I've used Asterisk for years I've never done it through Asterisk. However, for the past 10 months I've been using a hosted IP-PBX in my day jobs...and literally everything is exposed as a SIP URI. That makes dialing by URI really easy.

I once read an article online about how to establish this capability easily through simple DNS settings. (http://www.blyon.com/sip_uri/)

I'm hoping that it becomes more common over time. It's a very sensible extension of our email addresses.

Michael

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!