What's new

Did anyone switch to the WRT1900AC?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was really close to pulling the trigger on the Linksys, after basically hating my AC68U for the past few months. But... finally... Asus fixed a few nasty bugs, and Merlin polished things up. With the newest AC68U merlin firmware, I couldn't be happier at this point! And I've learned a lesson.... I will not be an early adopter of the next hot new router! I'll let others beat it up for... The 68U had a very rough start.

Hi,
Still going uneventful for almost a month. Not much time to bug the router for outside work. Lots of planting to do, soil work and seeding. Finally having some good weather.

Really thinking about going back to my RT-N66W. 2.4 GHz wifi is just not on par with the Asus routers.

I exchanged my WRT1900AC for a new one at Best Buy tonight. I'll go update the other threads since it appears Tim split them off...

Really thinking about going back to my RT-N66W. 2.4 GHz wifi is just not on par with the Asus routers.

How do you have your antennas set?

I have a 1-story house and if I move either of the rear antennas off of the vertical axis, 2.4Ghz range drops quite a bit.

If I stand them straight up though, I get a better signal than I did with the AC68W. RSSI is 6-8 lower in inSSIDer on the PC and MCS Index on my Mac goes up by 4 or 5. Throughput is about the same.

How do you have your antennas set?

I have a 1-story house and if I move either of the rear antennas off of the vertical axis, 2.4Ghz range drops quite a bit.

If I stand them straight up though, I get a better signal than I did with the AC68W. RSSI is 6-8 lower in inSSIDer on the PC and MCS Index on my Mac goes up by 4 or 5. Throughput is about the same.

I have a 2 story 2600 square foot home and have the rear antennas at a 45 degree angle like the manual states. Straight up or at an angle same result.

I have a 2 story 2600 square foot home and have the rear antennas at a 45 degree angle like the manual states. Straight up or at an angle same result.

that means you have a too-weak signal with no margin of safety - i.e., some excess received signal strength to deal with fading, blockage due to human bodies in the path, etc.

Relocate the WiFi router/AP, or add an AP.
Range Extender/repeater: heartily not recommended.

Return

I exchanged my WRT1900AC for a new one at Best Buy tonight. I'll go update the other threads since it appears Tim split them off...

I returned mine and did not get another, just the refund. Back to the Netgear 7000. The WRT1900AC was having random freezes and random disconnects.

In comparison the Netgear has much better coverage signal wise and never freezes or reboots.

Was the NEW replacement any better?

CC

I returned mine and did not get another, just the refund. Back to the Netgear 7000. The WRT1900AC was having random freezes and random disconnects.

In comparison the Netgear has much better coverage signal wise and never freezes or reboots.

Was the NEW replacement any better?

CC

Yes, I no longer have completely random reboots. However, I do still have reboots when using the GUI. If I don't change any settings, it runs just fine. Right now, I just have to avoid making any changes.

In general, my family members are the best indicator since they don't know anything else other than whether or not stuff works. They're happier now than they were with R7000, particularly because the printer and other devices don't disappear from the network every couple of days.

The thing about it is that the WRT1900AC takes about 30 seconds, at most, to reboot. Sometimes they won't even notice. The R7000 takes much longer to boot, sometimes as long as 3 minutes.

Hi,
Same here. Router sitting at top floor loft where R7000 used to be. Overall signal level throughout the house is couple db better than R7000. Last few days
weather was pretty warm and I did not turn on our cooling. Router got pretty warm but fan did not kick in. Now A/C is running again it is just luke warm to touch.

Hi,

Same here. Router sitting at top floor loft where R7000 used to be. Overall signal level throughout the house is couple db better than R7000. Last few days

weather was pretty warm and I did not turn on our cooling. Router got pretty warm but fan did not kick in. Now A/C is running again it is just luke warm to touch.

Wish my man cave was on the 2nd floor so I can keep the router up there. I have my xbox 360, PS4 and laptop hard wired plus my old WRT54G for G devices. It's proven that wireless signals drop. Done many tests of devices above the router and below the router and each device did better while below. Some may debate this but that's why cellular companies put antennas on top of mountains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk