What's new

Different Network IP from Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NismoZ

Occasional Visitor
Hello. I have a PC hooked to my router (EA8500) via CAT5 in Port 1. I just noticed today that I could not get to my wireless printer. I checked the IP I was given, and I am getting what looks like an outside address? (96. IP on a 255.255.224.0 subnet mask). How is this possible when I have the whole DMZ section of the router turned off? Also VLAN tag section is off.

When I enable my wireless card on the same PC, I get an internal 192.168 address, like I should. What would be the difference? I tried plugging in to port 4, but I get the same external IP.

My xbox is wired as well, and it's on a 74. IP with a subnet mask 255.255.224.0

This is not behavior I am used to. How can I get my wired connections to an internal 192.168.? And why would my wireless devices be on that network and my wired devices be on 89. or 74.?

Hello. I have a PC hooked to my router (EA8500) via CAT5 in Port 1. I just noticed today that I could not get to my wireless printer. I checked the IP I was given, and I am getting what looks like an outside address? (96. IP on a 255.255.224.0 subnet mask). How is this possible when I have the whole DMZ section of the router turned off? Also VLAN tag section is off.

When I enable my wireless card on the same PC, I get an internal 192.168 address, like I should. What would be the difference? I tried plugging in to port 4, but I get the same external IP.

My xbox is wired as well, and it's on a 74. IP with a subnet mask 255.255.224.0

This is not behavior I am used to. How can I get my wired connections to an internal 192.168.? And why would my wireless devices be on that network and my wired devices be on 89. or 74.?
Which router is supplying dhcp addresses for wired- this one or the ISP provided one ? Are both doing NAT ?

Which router is supplying dhcp addresses for wired- this one or the ISP provided one ? Are both doing NAT ?
I only have the one router, no ISP one. It was strange. I unplugged the modem for 2 hours while i went out. Came back, hooked it up and the EA8500 couldnt get a path to the internet on its network map. Frustrated, I hooked up my old router. Everything was fine, and working with an internal address. Then I tried my new EA8500 again. Everything was fine with internal addresses. Maybe my ISP routing or gave me external addreses for a short time. Who knows.

Many times the ISP modem is a modem+router in bridge mode. Does your ISP require mac cloning ? That may explain why using the old router after power reset worked. Or the ISP box is getting flakey. Email their tech support

Many times the ISP modem is a modem+router in bridge mode. Does your ISP require mac cloning ? That may explain why using the old router after power reset worked. Or the ISP box is getting flakey. Email their tech support

I have a Cable Modem that I bought. Moto SB6121.

Hello. I have a PC hooked to my router (EA8500) via CAT5 in Port 1

On Linksys devices - always ensure that the Cable/DSL/WAN/Broadband connection is on the "Internet" port - Linksys has been pretty consistent these days with their color coding - the WAN port is yellow and labeled "Internet" - that should work for most folks...

The SB6121, on most cable operators, will issue a single WAN address, along with the private 192,168.100.1 diagnostic interface... but it's able to assign additional IP's...