What's new

DIR-655 or Airport Extreme

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

U

Unregistered

I currently have a Asus WL566gm, and the signal in my room varies from 80% signal strength to 10% where I can't even load up a webpage. The router is located in a closet about 30 feet away with about 10ft worth of walls in the way. Also it gets kinda warm in that closet due to other electrical devices being up there.

Currently I have a wired connection going from the router to a little 10/100 ethernet hub in my room to network my pc and my slingbox. From that hub i connected an Apple Airport Express, but I find when i do heavy downloading on my PC my wireless connection gets very low throughput from the express.

I want to either replace the 10/100 hub and Airport Express with a router, or replace the Asus router itself(and remove the Airport Express). I'm thinking that I should replace the hub with a router because any router I put in that closet isn't going to reach my room with a good throughput. My laptop is a macbook pro, and I stream movies and transfer files from my PC all the time.

All the ports on the Asus router are 100Mbps ports. I don't really know if that matters considering internet speeds don't reach anywhere near that, and from common sense I assume gigabit ports are only important when dealing with lan.

My questions are:
Should I replace the router in the closet or the hub in my room? Is going through a router followed by another switch/router going to lower the throughput(wired connections)?

Should I get the DIR-655 or the Airport Extreme as a replacement?

Thank You

My questions are:
Should I replace the router in the closet or the hub in my room? Is going through a router followed by another switch/router going to lower the throughput(wired connections)?
For your requirements, moving the wireless router as close to the clients that are using it is preferred.
Should I get the DIR-655 or the Airport Extreme as a replacement?
Maybe neither. Why not just swap your current "hub" and router as an experiment?

Why do you have the router in the closet anyway since you have an Ethernet drop from the closet to where your systems are?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!