What's new

Disabling the wifi for the selected client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dlukanidin

Occasional Visitor
Is it possible to disable the wifi for the selected client from the command line(ssh) in order for that client will connect to the best network?

Why do you need to do it through SSH, why not just use the GUI? Can you give an example of your use case.

I have one Central router and 4 AP. I see one client connected to Central on 2.4 with low signal. I know for that client is important to have a good connection at a moment. I need to phone to him and ask to disconnect WiFi. After disconnection he auto connect to wright AP. AiMesh does not work in my configuration. Is it possible to temporarily disconnect the client with GUI?

I have one Central router and 4 AP. I see one client connected to Central on 2.4 with low signal. I know for that client is important to have a good connection at a moment. I need to phone to him and ask to disconnect WiFi. After disconnection he auto connect to wright AP. AiMesh does not work in my configuration. Is it possible to temporarily disconnect the client with GUI?

I wonder if moving the nearest AP/antennas/signal a bit would convince the client to connect to it.

OE

Is it possible to temporarily disconnect the client with GUI?
If you want to prevent that client from connecting to the central router permanently you can use the Wireless MAC Filter in deny mode.

If you just want to force it off temporarily through SSH, connect to the central router and issue the following command:
Code:
wl -i ethN disassoc AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
Where ethN is the name of the wireless interface that the client is connected to and AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF is its MAC address.

If you just want to force it off temporarily through SSH, connect to the central router and issue the following command:
Code:
Where ethN is the name of the wireless interface that the client is connected to and AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF is its MAC address.
Good idea, but does not work as expected: answer wl: Not STA
I think it about that station may disassociate itself

If you want to prevent that client from connecting to the central router permanently you can use the Wireless MAC Filter in deny mode.

Code:
i used to use deauth in YazFi but it was always a bit hit and miss if the client behaved properly

Good idea, but does not work as expected: answer wl: Not STA
It works for me but I have a different router than you.
Code:
# wl -i eth7 disassoc EC:1F:72:F8:4A:21
# wl -i eth7 disassoc EC:1F:72:F8:4A:21
wl: Not Associated

Are you using the correct interface and MAC address?

I think it about that station may disassociate itself
Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Снимок экрана 2021-08-20 в 10.12.06.png

from client list

Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-HOST:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth5 disassoc C0:A6:00:C2:41:F1
wl: Not STA

Its been my experience that roaming (client moving from AP to AP) is really a function of the client device. Most client device vendors have not put good roaming configuration into the devices last time I was trying to optimize the roaming.

The best implementation Ive found from a router/AP perspective is a Unified AP design where the ssid had 1 hybrid mac address associated on all the APs sharing that ssid. The clients were looking at the ssid source (mac) as much if not more at the rssi value.

The best implementation Ive found from a router/AP perspective is a Unified AP design where the ssid had 1 hybrid mac address associated on all the APs sharing that ssid. The clients were looking at the ssid source (mac) as much if not more at the rssi value.
How do you implement this with router and multiple access points?

You cant implement unless your using Unified acces points. Unified is a brand like Asus is a brand.