What's new

Disk hangs with 100% CPU

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I like this solution because you end up with NTFS formatted drives that can be read directly by a Windows PC. Does anyone know if Synology supports NTFS as a backup drive? I have read conflicting things on the Internet.
Synology supports external NTFS formatted drives. If you want to use your USB drives get a Raspberry Pi 4 and make that into a NAS. The Pi 4 has two USB2 and 2 USB3 slots. However, the cost of Pi has not come down. For about $120 you can get a DS120j single drive NAS, use one of your 8 TB drives in it and the other to back up the DS120J via USB3.

If up to Gigabit transfers are enough I would suggest HP Elitedesk mini, DELL Micro or Lenovo Tiny from eBay. They come cheaper then RPi kit and with Intel i3/i5-class CPUs - much faster than any RPi and with wider OS support. Some have SSD drives ready to go. Power efficient too, about 10W in idle.

Does anyone know if Synology supports NTFS as a backup drive? I have read conflicting things on the Internet.
Right from Synology (DSM 7.1):
https://kb.synology.com/en-global/D...er/system_externaldevice_devicelist?version=7
Synology NAS recognizes the following formats: Btrfs, ext3, ext4, FAT32, exFAT, HFS Plus, and NTFS. Any unrecognized external drive will have to be formatted first before being used on the system.
I run a 8TB WD Easystore (has WD Red drive inside) formatted for NTFS hanging off a Synology NAS as a backup target. Use the Synology Hyper Backup feature to backup the Synology to that external USB hard drive every night.

Synology supports external NTFS formatted drives. If you want to use your USB drives get a Raspberry Pi 4 and make that into a NAS. The Pi 4 has two USB2 and 2 USB3 slots. However, the cost of Pi has not come down. For about $120 you can get a DS120j single drive NAS, use one of your 8 TB drives in it and the other to back up the DS120J via USB3.

I know that QNAP does NTFS externally as well (eg, via USB). The internal can be forced to NTFS via some tricks, from what I read, but it's not recommended. The RAID support on these boxes prefers Linux formats, as that's what they are running internally... I see no reason to use NTFS on the internal drives, especially if you're on RAID anyway (ie, you don't have to access the drive via PC - just put another in, let the RAID sync, and carry on. No PC connection required.)