What's new

Solved New USB disk

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maghuro

Very Senior Member
First of all, sorry to post this question here - not directly related to add-ons or whatsoever, but it (the USB disk) will have them installed, so.....

... I want to use a new USB disk to replace my old one attached to router.
To minimize the hassle on reinstalling and configuring all the things, I want to use some software to clone the old one to the new one.

I'm planning to:
1 - shut off the router
2 - take out the old disk ( on port USB 2.0)
3 - connect both to my windows PC
4 - clone the old to the new one
5 - insert the new one on router (on port USB 3.0)
6 - turn router on
7 - profit.

So my question is - knowing there are tons of softwares to clone disks, is there one that clones really everything, including USB disk format type, that you recommend? A 100% bit by bit clone.

Thanks in advance.

I just plug it into a Linux box and copy everything over to the new disk. In fact, for my test routers I have images for each of them for convenience. That always works for me.

What scripts or router add-ons or a swap file are you running on the existing USB device? If not running any scripts, add-ons or swap file there isn't a need to clone the drive, simply copy the contents from the old drive to the new one after properly formatting the new USB drive for use on the router.

As for cloning software. Some manufacturers will have cloning programs on their websites that once can use. Otherwise plenty of free programs out there to do it. From Clonezilla to EaseUS Todo Backup Free to Acronis to Macrium to Paragon and others. Some are listed here:
https://www.techradar.com/best/best-disk-cloning-software

Just note that if the new drive is larger than the old drive one may have to use a partition manager to expand the new drive's cloned partition to use all the available free space. Plenty of free partition managers out there to use.

2 - take out the old disk ( on port USB 2.0)

FWIW - you might want to stay on the USB2 port - USB3 can and often does interfere with the 2.4GHz band for WiFi and Bluetooth...

Most tasks on the router don't really need more than the USB2 port can offer...

FWIW - you might want to stay on the USB2 port - USB3 can and often does interfere with the 2.4GHz band for WiFi and Bluetooth...

What if I use USB 3 port, on USB 2 mode?

I thought (and hey, I could be wrong) that was only an issue with flash drives plugged into the port? I've been running an external SSD with ~12" cord in USB 3 mode forever without any issues.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll try when USB disk arrives.

@thelonelycoder maybe a new amtm "move to new USB disk" mod? 🥹
This is on my to do list - since about two years or maybe longer. It‘ll come, eventually.

cp -r or rsync?

sorry to hi-jack
can I also use this method as I want to remove my USB stick as it gets baking hot and I want to use an old PCIE 1TB gen3 nvme drive I have laying around+ USB3.0 enclosure which I ordered (should be here by the weekend).
I dont care about transfering apps/scripts as I want to start fresh and only use Adguard and amtm.
What swap file should I use because I feel I can use more than the recommended 2Gb often suggested?
Additionally if removing scripts from the router, I am confident using WinSCP, so which folder (if any) should I delete or remove content from?

Thank you

I dont care about transfering apps/scripts as I want to start fresh and only use Adguard and amtm.

Clean up process depends on what you had previously installed, actually.

What swap file should I use because I feel I can use more than the recommended 2Gb often suggested?

You can create up to 10GB swap file in AMTM, but the router won't use it. Recommended 2GB is good enough.

No you wouldn't use this method if you want to start with a fresh USB installation.

Before you remove your old drive it's best if you can clean up any remnants of old scripts from jffs. You can do this with a hard factory reset, but you'll loose you current router configuration. If you don't want to do the hard reset you should try and run the uninstall function (if they have one) of any scripts you have installed.

After that you'd just remove the old drive and plug in the new one. Then use the amtm option fd to format the new disk.

2GB should be more than enough. Ideally you want to minimise the use of the swap file otherwise the router's USB bus becomes a performance bottleneck.

I have rsync installed through entware, but I think cp -a will do the trick.

Today night I'll try it and then I'll post feedback.
That only helps if the Entware drive is mounted, which is not ideal when copying files.

I thought (and hey, I could be wrong) that was only an issue with flash drives plugged into the port? I've been running an external SSD with ~12" cord in USB 3 mode forever without any issues.
I solved with a shielded cable so 2.4g issue disappears but I have a warning for "poor" rj45 quality on adiacente port

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!