What's new

Dismount or uninstall with new usb drive?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT Strickland

Very Senior Member
Should one uninstall current scripts when switching to another usb drive, particularly when upgrading to 386.1 at the same time, or just dismount from the existing drive?
I assume the new drive should be installed first before flashing new firmware? The router will also have a new perch, higher up with a cooling fan, and must be shut down if that matters any. I'm not sure of the order here. thanks in advance for the help.

I would gracefully dismount the USB drive and unplug it; do a full M&M Reset, then plug the new drive in, upgrade the firmware, and re-install your scripts.

I would gracefully dismount the USB drive and unplug it; do a full M&M Reset, then plug the new drive in, upgrade the firmware, and re-install your scripts.
ok, thanks. I will probably shut it down and move it between the dismount and plugging in the new one, seems like the right place to do that.
Shouldn't the new f/w be flashed before factory reset though?

I'm interested in some answers please ... Newbie speaking
Router ASUS RT-86U

1. From 384.19 to 386.1 is mandatory FACTORY RESET ? Could I install direct over ?
2. Could I made DIRECT upgrade from 384.19 to 386.2 ?
3. What is M&M reset ?
4. Unplug the USB 2.0 with entware and all stuff installed there do the update and plug USB drive back ?
or
5. I need to swipe drive / format / install all the staff again ?
6. Backup the JFFS partition and restore the backup after upgrading firmware ?
7. Which are the correct steps and order to do this ? where to find ?

Sorry for this questions, but I did not find anywhere step by step how to update firmware form 384 to 386 with some apps and usb drive attached.
Maybe is somewhere on the forum but not at the first search.

Thank you in advance and for patience
Nice day
Cristake

Someone that is more knowledgeable about these matters should be answering this, but I can hit the high spots.

1. It depends: read the release notes at the beginning of Merlins' 386.1 thread.
2. Yes. Or maybe.
3. Minimal and (what's the name of the other one?) barebones: Enough configuration to run it without causing any trouble.
The search bar at the top of the forum banner is your friend: Search for M & M reset to find out how to do it.
4. Again, follow the experts advice, a lot of which has been posted, but dismount it before flashing is what I am remembering.
5. Not unless you are starting over like I am.
6. Back it up in case everything goes south, but DON'T restore it or you will wipe out what you just accomplished.
7. Search for L & LD's guides and follow his lead and others.

If it does go south, be prepared to reset to factory and start over again from scratch. If that fails, then try restoring your backup(s).
Good luck, fellow pilgrim.

Last edited:
ok, thanks. I will probably shut it down and move it between the dismount and plugging in the new one, seems like the right place to do that.
Shouldn't the new f/w be flashed before factory reset though?
I mean, you could do a factory reset before, then flash, then M&M... Can't hurt anyway.

I'm interested in some answers please ... Newbie speaking
Router ASUS RT-86U

1. From 384.19 to 386.1 is mandatory FACTORY RESET ? Could I install direct over ?
2. Could I made DIRECT upgrade from 384.19 to 386.2 ?
3. What is M&M reset ?
4. Unplug the USB 2.0 with entware and all stuff installed there do the update and plug USB drive back ?
or
5. I need to swipe drive / format / install all the staff again ?
6. Backup the JFFS partition and restore the backup after upgrading firmware ?
7. Which are the correct steps and order to do this ? where to find ?

Sorry for this questions, but I did not find anywhere step by step how to update firmware form 384 to 386 with some apps and usb drive attached.
Maybe is somewhere on the forum but not at the first search.

Thank you in advance and for patience
Nice day
Cristake
1. You can often "dirty flash" like that. Read Merlin's release notes on any given update to see. I have one -86 that I'm typically maintaining through a VPN right now, so I'm avoiding firmware updates on that one in case it borks and then I'm out of luck. ;)
2. Yes, if by "direct" you mean just flash the newer one, that should be ok. Again I defer to Merlin's changelogs.
3. As JT said - do a search. It's an in-depth factory reset procedure; thread by @L&LD.
4. If you're just doing a dirty flash you can leave the USB drive plugged in.
5. Only if the dirty flash borks something; then do an M&M reset and start over.
6. Wouldn't hurt to back it up, but better to just make note of your settings; if you have to do an M&M reset, don't restore the backup. Better to update all the settings by hand.
7. Again... check Merlin's changelog for any given update. You can always try the dirty flash first, but also always be prepared to do an M&M reset if the dirty flash fails.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!