What's new

Distance between wifi routers and AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geralds34

Occasional Visitor
My current setup is a Bell HH4000 for fiber connection, an AX86S as main router/Wi-Fi using PPPoE to connect(all but eliminating HH4K), and a AC86U as an access point. All three devices are on unique SID, with the HH4K in basement towards one end of the L shaped house, the AX86S in the middle of the house in the basement(kitchen with microwave oven directly above), and the AC86U on main floor at opposite end of the house. House is a bungalow.

I'd like to move the AX86s beside the HH4K, as it is better location , away from the kitchen. I try to keep all the Wi-Fi off on the HH4K, but whenever there is firmware update the Wi-Fi gets turned back on.

How bad is it, if both the AX86s and HH4K are within a couple feet of each other, and both have Wi-Fi on?

How bad is it, if both the AX86s and HH4K are within a couple feet of each other, and both have Wi-Fi on?

I doubt they'd fry each other, if that's what you're worried about. There might be some interference, especially if they're broadcasting on the same channel. Can you make sure that the HH4K is assigned to a different channel?

In any case, as long as you normally have the HH4K wireless turned off, it doesn't seem like there'd be any intolerable problem. Maybe you can disable automatic firmware updates, so that its wifi only goes on when you're paying attention and can turn it off immediately?

Much of the HH4k is locked out, so not much I can do with it. I am surprised how often I find the wifi turned back on, I should track the FW versions, maybe the wifi is reenabled at other times.

Much of the HH4k is locked out, so not much I can do with it.

You know ... your house belongs to you, not Bell. I would try calling their tech support and demanding that they turn off the thing's wifi. Failing that, some quick googling suggests that it's possible to bypass their equipment and use your own.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!