What's new

Diversion Diversion 4.3.3 - the Router Ad-Blocker, released April 02 2023

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It is possible to map all ipv6 request to the same ipv4 address by specifying ::ffff:192.168.50.3 for ipv6 replies instead of [::]. This will allow ipv4 to also handle ipv6 blocking. pixelserv-tls and dnsmasq understand these modifications. When pixelserv-tls recieves it , it assumes it is from ipv4, dnsmasq does all the magic. (this will only work with pixelserv-tls, generic diversion-lite blocking would have to be ::, since the main is 0.0.0.0 )
I have IPv4 requests mapped to 192.168.50.3 using generic Diversion-Lite blocking, if I also want to apply it to IPv6 requests, what exactly should I specify in the for IPv6 box? Should I leave it blank or do I specify a code (I'm not clear on what you meant by [::])? Thank you.

Attachments

• Router Screen Shot.png
    Router Screen Shot.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 74
I have IPv4 requests mapped to 192.168.50.3 using generic Diversion-Lite blocking, if I also want to apply it to IPv6 requests, what exactly should I specify in the for IPv6 box? Should I leave it blank or do I specify a code (I'm not clear on what you meant by [::])? Thank you.
::ffff:c0a8:3203 is what you would use to replace ipv6, other wise blocked ipv6 requests get handled by [::], but my post is old and has nothing to do with diversion lite, it is meant for diversion standard.

Last edited:
Hi.

Does anyone have a Hosts file with Reddit addresses to block their ads?

hi all! can anyone share some insight as to how type=65 blocking is achieved in Diversion? is it purely in dnsmasq, or are there firewall rules involved as well?

can you share the applicable rules? i'm trying to help someone track down why YazFi is bypassing it and not sure what I'm looking for without going through Diversion's code :)
They’re here in the forum somewhere, I’ve done much searching but no joy.
I’ll keep hunting……

can you share the applicable rules? i'm trying to help someone track down why YazFi is bypassing it and not sure what I'm looking for without going through Diversion's code :)
Discussion here….

The biggest problem with using the type65 firewall rules is that it seems to break functionality of using certain web browsers on certain websites as well.
I remember asking you for help with this. On iOS devices checking dnscheck.tools it wont’t give the latency result and slow to check other DNSSEC extensions

All Apple house here.
Type 65 blocking solved the mystery of ads from blocked domains appearing. All fixed now.;)

The biggest problem with using the type65 firewall rules is that it seems to break functionality of using certain web browsers on certain websites as well.
Yes, unfortunately it breaks some site. For the time being, I don't feel much of the impact yet so I still have the rules applied.

I remember asking you for help with this. On iOS devices checking dnscheck.tools it wont’t give the latency result and slow to check other DNSSEC extensions
Same happened to www.dnssec-or-not.com
As see from packet capture, iOS device only send HTTPS query to this site. There is no response because HTTPS query is dropped by our rule. By the time it send a Type A query, it is to "bad.dnssec-or-not.com". So, this DNSSEC test site does not work when we block type 65 query.
In a way, the rule is working as expected by dropping type 65 HTTPS query.
2022-12-20 18_45_51-test6.pcap.png

In comparison, sample below is what normally happened. iOS device send HTTPS query followed by type A query. HTTPS query is dropped. Type A query is processed by adblock. In this sample, it is blocked and the response is 0.0.0.0.
If we do not apply type65 blocking here, this HTTPS query will get resolved and not blocked.
2022-12-20 19_06_48-test4.pcap.png

All Apple house here.
Type 65 blocking solved the mystery of ads from blocked domains appearing. All fixed now.;)
Actually it does break some sites. For such sites, it appears idevice keep sending HTTPS query and does not revert to type A query. In my normal usage, I don't remember hitting this issue so I keep the rule. Once we are used to ads free browsing, it is an eyesore to see ads popping up in browser or apps.

Actually it does break some sites. For such sites, it appears idevice keep sending HTTPS query and does not revert to type A query. In my normal usage, I don't remember hitting this issue so I keep the rule. Once we are used to ads free browsing, it is an eyesore to see ads popping up in browser or apps.
I like how pihole blocks these query- it returns an empty response whereas the firewall rule simply refuses to connect. Probably why some sites break.

How do you fix this error? Showed up after Entware update on my AX58U #1, standalone.

i Updating ads counter...

/opt/bin/grep: warning: stray \ before /

A uninstall and reinstall of Diversion from backup didn't work, fresh install didn't work.
Uninstalled Skynet and reinstalled, appears OK.
Unbound, appears OK.

How do you fix this error? Showed up after Entware update on my AX58U #1, standalone.

i Updating ads counter...

A uninstall and reinstall of Diversion from backup didn't work, fresh install didn't work.
Uninstalled Skynet and reinstalled, appears OK.
Unbound, appears OK.
Check this thread

Check this thread

This only shows up briefly when you call up Diversion option #1, not anything else.

This is in spite of force updating AMTM, Diversion, Skynet and Unbound, after the Entware update.
Also this seems to have only happened on 1 of 4 routers. Maybe needs a second look on my part.

Thank you for the link.

As an experiment I started over, FD the drive and install all scripts from scratch. Format JFFS.

Problem gone.
So my feeling is that the Entware update does not play well with Diversion and that the integration could not be accomplished. The other scripts appeared not to be affected. FWIW.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!