What's new

Diversion Diversion 4.3.3 - the Router Ad-Blocker, released April 02 2023

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Simply put there are too many issues with USB 'keys' and their inferior nand and controllers.

An SSD is in a whole different league and can handle the writing the router demands without a hiccup.

(Note: I didn't verify the search results, but using Better Search will bring up many posts on this topic).
Interesting, thanks.
I do not want to discuss/argue, but it is sometime difficult to follow advises because I also saw a lot of people explaining the router could not handle to large hard drive and to many connection, not like a server.
But I totally agree about as poor USB key could be sometime and how an SSD is powerful enough like you said.
Does this mean that Diversion and others apps need a powerful place "to live" (read, write,...)?
And could this have a link to trouble many people (me and others) are facing since new firmware (388.2_x) ?
Because like @Buratnamalaki, we saw trouble with dnsmasq logging turned on and no trouble with dnsmasq logging turned off. Logging could put a heavy load on the USB key and could be a clue in our tests.

Interesting, thanks.
I do not want to discuss/argue, but it is sometime difficult to follow advises because I also saw a lot of people explaining the router could not handle to large hard drive and to many connection, not like a server.
But I totally agree about as poor USB key could be sometime and how an SSD is powerful enough like you said.
Does this mean that Diversion and others apps need a powerful place "to live" (read, write,...)?
And could this have a link to trouble many people (me and others) are facing since new firmware (388.2_x) ?
Because like @Buratnamalaki, we saw trouble with dnsmasq logging turned on and no trouble with dnsmasq logging turned off. Logging could put a heavy load on the USB key and could be a clue in our tests.
I think you need to ask yourself, where does diversion have those dnsmasq logs written to? Also are you using scripts like UiDiv stats. You may just be seeing an alarming increase in dnsmasq log being filled. If log location is on your USB, you are seeing the throttling caused by the increased writes. The firmware change to 388.2 may have been the catalyst to increased dnsmasq log entries, but the behavior could be a result of the logs being written to a location on your USB storage.

Last edited:
I think you need to ask yourself, where does diversion have those dnsmasq logs written to? Also are you using scripts like UiDiv stats. You may just be seeing an alarming increase in dnsmasq log being filled. If log location is on your USB, you are seeing the throttling caused by the increased writes. The firmware change to 388.2 may have been the catalyst to increased dnsmasq log entries, but the behavior could be a result of the logs being written to a location on your USB storage.
I have not the technical knowledge to find this by myself but I understand what you explain, this is logical.
About other scripts/tools, since last 2 days, I am running only Diversion after a factory reset (detailed steps available here)
Like my signature is showing, I had some tools installed (and running fine) until 388.1, but I had a lot of trouble with 388.2_x.
With @Bogey, we tested to remove stuff, starting by uiDivSats (no luck), Skynet and other. Only disabling dnsmasq logging was able to fix the problem.

But my own research, your comment about USB strength, and your last comment about 388.2 being the catalyst of all, maybe changing the USB for something stronger could be a clue to follow.

Thanks a lot

But my own research, your comment about USB strength, and your last comment about 388.2 being the catalyst of all, maybe changing the USB for something stronger could be a clue to follow.
Tested that too.

By the way, it’s an archaic belief that SSDs are better than flash drives. Modern flash drives exist that are made with the same memory tech as SSDs. Some flash drives will even outlive some SSDs. It all depends on what you compare, apples vs oranges; and then there’s Granny Smiths vs Jonagolds…

SSDs are better when used for OS type use. It's not the nand that determines which will last longer. It is the controller and firmware and what the target audience is.

A flash drive intended for writing photos (for a year or so, before a bigger model comes out) is very different from an SSD meant for use as an OS drive.

Archaic is believing that specs are the only things that matter. Increasingly, the software/firmware is just as important too.

SSDs are better when used for OS type use. It's not the nand that determines which will last longer. It is the controller and firmware and what the target audience is.

A flash drive intended for writing photos (for a year or so, before a bigger model comes out) is very different from an SSD meant for use as an OS drive.

Archaic is believing that specs are the only things that matter. Increasingly, the software/firmware is just as important too.
Totally agree, yet I didn’t say that specs are the only things that matter ;)

Welcome to the forums @BuratnaMalaki.

Are you using a USB key? Or an SSD (128GB or larger) in an external enclosure with the router?

If you're using the former, ditch it for the latter.
yes, im using kingston data traveler 32gb, im thinking installing the diversion lite for now. but idk if thats fix my problem though, im gonna try it later.

but the dnsmaq log cpu usage problem can fix but replacing my flashdrive to ssd drive?

I don't know if it will fix it for sure, but it will take out a known downfall of random glitches on Asus/RMerlin-powered routers.

but the dnsmaq log cpu usage problem can fix but replacing my flashdrive to ssd drive?
You could also look into what is using the CPU by running the top command over SSH, or installing htop from Entware instead. No point replacing anything until you know the cause of the spikes.

I don't know if it will fix it for sure, but it will take out a known downfall of random glitches on Asus/RMerlin-powered routers.
1684548083450.png

i try it in my external hdd for testing, its stable now, but idk its recommend to use hdd to router without external power. lol

i think im gonna buy faster flashdrive

yes, im using kingston data traveler 32gb, im thinking installing the diversion lite for now. but idk if thats fix my problem though, im gonna try it later.

Why don’t you disable logging of Diversion first? In that case there won’t be any writing taking place.
Type ‘l’ in the main menu or switch it of in the the webui.

I'm hoping that someone can tell me what the format of lines in a blacklist file should be? I'm getting "bad address" on every line when Diversion reads the blacklist file, so I'm wondering what the actual format of lines should be? Done a lot of internet searching looking for this, but haven't come up with it.

Thanks!

I'm hoping that someone can tell me what the format of lines in a blacklist file should be? I'm getting "bad address" on every line when Diversion reads the blacklist file, so I'm wondering what the actual format of lines should be? Done a lot of internet searching looking for this, but haven't come up with it.

Thanks!
As per https://diversion.ch/diversion/use/blocking-file-hosts-files.html
0.0.0.0 domain.com is the format. Diversion will autoconvert the IP (0.0.0.0) to the actual blocking IP in use.

View attachment 50249

i try it in my external hdd for testing, its stable now, but idk its recommend to use hdd to router without external power. lol

i think im gonna buy faster flashdrive

It is never a good idea to power an HDD off of a router's USB ports without using an external power source. You're basically setting up the router to fail, eventually.

It is never a good idea to power an HDD off of a router's USB ports without using an external power source. You're basically setting up the router to fail, eventually.
yeah i think that too, if i use ssd do i need external power source or not anymore?

Depends on which SSD you use (some can use the same or more power than a 3.5" HDD at peak use).

For a quality 128GB SSD or larger, it shouldn't be an issue for the current use it will see on an RMerlin-powered Asus router.

Depends on which SSD you use (some can use the same or more power than a 3.5" HDD at peak use).

For a quality 128GB SSD or larger, it shouldn't be an issue for the current use it will see on an RMerlin-powered Asus router.
im gonna use crucial mx100, its 256gb, its 5v 1a i think. its gonna work without external right?

yeah i think that too, if i use ssd do i need external power source or not anymore?
I‘ve been using an SSD without external power supply on my RT-AX88U for years and have had no problems whatsoever.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!