What's new

Diversion Diversion | Android + WiFi | Ads being served on some websites - e.g. Daily Mail

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chatmandu_uk

Occasional Visitor
I installed Diversion yesterday and have successfully tested the adblocking on multiple sites.

Everything seems to be working well on my desktop PC, but my Android phone is still displaying adverts on some websites. I loaded up the Daily Mail because I know how many advertising/tracking scripts are loaded by that site. On my desktop PC, the website is advert free, but Chrome/Android still displays adverts. I checked my WiFi settings on the phone and it is set to DHCP.

Strangely, other websites are displaying grey boxes instead of adverts.

1611662550601.png

** Edit **

I think I've resolved the issue.

I blocked the following via Skynet:
  • dns.google
I then disabled 'secure DNS' in 'Android Chrome' and adverts are now being blocked.

Last edited:
Blocking 8.8.8.8 and dns.google.com might cause other issues on your Android device. A better approach is to load an Android specific blocking list from https://filterlists.com
You can search by diversion and android, AFAIK Data-Master is a popular adblock filter list for Android.

Blocking 8.8.8.8 and dns.google.com might cause other issues on your Android device. A better approach is to load an Android specific blocking list from https://filterlists.com
You can search by diversion and android, AFAIK Data-Master is a popular adblock filter list for Android.

Data-Master hasn't been updated in over a year.

I added 8.8.4.4 to the Skynet ban list and have re-enabled 'secure DNS' on my android device. Adverts are still being blocked.

My router is configured with upstream DNS (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) and everything appears to be working correctly.

I'll provide an update here, if I encounter any further problems.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!