What's new

Diversion Diversion Blocking WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zim

Occasional Visitor
Need help troubleshooting and fixing WiFi with Diversion. Currently with Diversion enabled WiFi does not work - none of the devices can connect to WiFi. Everything works fine on devices hard wired to the router.

I've been using Diversion + Skynet + Unbound for years with no issues. Few weeks/months ago when Diversion was updated and Merlin firmware was updated to 388.2_2, problems with WiFI started happening. After toggling scripts, I narrowed the issue down to Diversion. I started troubleshooting Diversion disabling different filters, but no luck. Disabling Diversion makes the WiFi work fine.

All the router/script settings, scripts, filters have been the same, the only difference is the firmware upgrade and the updated Diversion.

I have also tried resetting the router and reinstalling Diversion - same issue.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Need help troubleshooting and fixing WiFi with Diversion. Currently with Diversion enabled WiFi does not work - none of the devices can connect to WiFi. Everything works fine on devices hard wired to the router.

I've been using Diversion + Skynet + Unbound for years with no issues. Few weeks/months ago when Diversion was updated and Merlin firmware was updated to 388.2_2, problems with WiFI started happening. After toggling scripts, I narrowed the issue down to Diversion. I started troubleshooting Diversion disabling different filters, but no luck. Disabling Diversion makes the WiFi work fine.

All the router/script settings, scripts, filters have been the same, the only difference is the firmware upgrade and the updated Diversion.

Any suggestions?
What router model are you using? If you haven't done a complete router reset in awhile...this would probably be the 1st thing I would try to do to fix this issue and start fresh again.

Any suggestions?
make sure you are using diversion lite and not diversion standard.

What router model are you using? If you haven't done a complete router reset in awhile...this would probably be the 1st thing I would try to do to fix this issue and start fresh again.
@Kingp1n I'm on AX11000. In the past few days I've done complete router reset a dozen times - issue starts as soon as I install Diversion. I've even tried re-flashing the firmware.

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow I ruled out Lite vs Standard as an issue, because I've always installed the standard version and has worked without issues. But I think at this point I'll give this a try - anything to get rid of the ads!

@Bogey thanks for the link. After going through that link and several others I have switched over to AdGuard and was able to get Unbound and Skynet to work with it. I am running 2GB swap as well thanks to the insightful articles and explanations by @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

I am still having one issue - the WiFi disconnects after several hours.

Haven't been able to pinpoint the issue and don't know what to look for in the logs, but it seems like after 6 hours the WiFi drops, the Asus mesh nodes disconnect (shows a solid red light on the nodes; mesh nodes are on wired backhaul). To get everything back I have to reboot the router and things start working fine again - WiFi works, the mesh nodes magically connect to the router.

Could it be the AdGuard filters? I'm using the Hagezi Multi Pro++ and the Steven Black which are blocking about 700K+ domains. If so, is it better to use multiple small filters or a few big ones?

Any insight or help in troubleshooting is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
@Bogey thanks for the link. After going through that link and several others I have switched over to AdGuard and was able to get Unbound and Skynet to work with it. I am running 2GB swap as well thanks to the insightful articles and explanations by @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

I am still having one issue - the WiFi disconnects are several hours.

Haven't been able to pinpoint the issue and don't know what to look for in the logs, but it seems like after 6 hours the WiFi drops, the Asus mesh nodes disconnect (shows a solid red light on the nodes; mesh nodes are on wired backhaul). To get everything back I have to reboot the router and things start working fine again - WiFi works, the mesh nodes magically connect to the router.

Could it be the AdGuard filters? I'm using the Hagezi Multi Pro++ and the Steven Black which are blocking about 700K+ domains. If so, is it better to use multiple small filters or a few big ones?

Any insight or help in troubleshooting is greatly appreciated.
How much cpu thrashing are you experiencing? Also, have you left all the default entries inside the adguardhome upstream section? I am not quite able to replicate your disconnect issue. I am starting to wonder if it might be related to something else such as a misconfiguration of sorts. If you don't mind and have the time. Feel free to share screen shots of both wifi and dns related settings in both your adguardhome and asus webui's. I can try and replicate the issue mirroring your settings. That is, if you don't mind sharing.

Last edited:
How much cpu thrashing are you experiencing? Also, have you left all the default entries inside the adguardhome upstream section? I am not quite able to replicate your disconnect issue. I am starting to wonder if it might be related to something else such as a misconfiguration of sorts. If you don't mind and have the time. Feel free to share screen shots of both wifi and dns related settings in both your adguardhome and asus webui's. I can try and replicate the issue mirroring your settings. That is, if you don't mind sharing.
Router uptime is now 1.5 days. No crash, no issues. CPU/Mem/Swap all appear to be humming along nicely.

What solved the issue - a simple restart of the router and all the mesh nodes.

hello,
after not being able to understand why Adguard Home suddenly no longer seemed to block ads (in its log, it was marked "blocked", but on web pages, ads were there!).
- I installed "Diversion" "standard" I made a mistake!? not knowing what these two versions meant!?
thanks

hello,
after not being able to understand why Adguard Home suddenly no longer seemed to block ads (in its log, it was marked "blocked", but on web pages, ads were there!).
- I installed "Diversion" "standard" I made a mistake!? not knowing what these two versions meant!?
thanks
Hope it works out for you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!