What's new

dnamasq.conf not redirecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PhopsonNY

New Around Here
Hi All,

Hoping to get some help.
I am not an expert on this so this has been a steep learning curve.

I am trying to setup YCAST on my Synology NAS - Done
Now I want my A86u to redirect all vtuner.com links to 192.168.x.x (x.x IP address of the Synology)

Following these instructions, I used "vi /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add" to add the following
"address=/denon.vtuner.com/radiomarantz.vtuner.com/marantz.vtuner.com/vtuner.com/192.168.x.x"

Following are the results
"denon.vtuner.com" gets redirected correctly
"radiomarantz.vtuner.com" does not work - gets redirected to the Synology default gateway port 5000
"marantz.vtuner.com" does not work
"vtuner.com" does not work

Now when I try to vi dnamasq.conf, :wp does not get accepted anymore.

Note, I am also running a Mullvad OpenVPN on the Asus.

Contents of "dnamasq.conf" attached

Any help greatly appreciated .. thanks

Attachments

• 010421 dnamast.conf.pdf
    32.5 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Given all domains end w/ vtuner.com, and apparently at least the first in the list seems to work, why not just make it simply...
Code:
address=/vtuner.com/192.168.x.x

IOW, vtuner.com should be should be sufficient to include all subdomains of vtuner.com.

Thanks eibgrab. I tried that before, but it did not work, however, I have reverted to that simple format.

Thanks for the link glehel. I have implemented that on the Asus however, it still does not redirect
  1. In my browser, using "168.119.122.34" brings me to the generic instruction site "https://b0.dk/"
  2. Using "vtuner.b0.dk" brings me to the YCast service with results

"1Dirhttp://vtuner.b0.dk/ycast/radiobrowser/?vtuner=truehttp://vtuner.b0.dk/ycast/radiobrowser/?vtuner=true4Display'My Stations' feature not configured."

But I use option 1 as you suggested in the dnamasq.conf

The last few lines of tmp/etc/dnsmasq.conf

dhcp-name-match=set:wpad-ignore,wpad
dhcp-ignore-names=tag:wpad-ignore
dhcp-script=/sbin/dhcpc_lease
script-arp
address=/vtuner.com/168.119.122.34

Typing vtuner in my browser still brings me to the regular "vtuner.com" site

I have tried flushing the cache, on my desktop but no luck

Last edited:
Thanks eibgrab. I tried that before, but it did not work, however, I have reverted to that simple format.

Thanks for the link glehel. I have implemented that on the Asus however, it still does not redirect
  1. In my browser, using "168.119.122.34" brings me to the generic instruction site "https://b0.dk/"
  2. Using "vtuner.b0.dk" brings me to the YCast service with results

"1Dirhttp://vtuner.b0.dk/ycast/radiobrowser/?vtuner=truehttp://vtuner.b0.dk/ycast/radiobrowser/?vtuner=true4Display'My Stations' feature not configured."

So I use option 2 in the dnamasq.conf

The last few lines of tmp/etc/dnsmasq.conf

dhcp-name-match=set:wpad-ignore,wpad
dhcp-ignore-names=tag:wpad-ignore
dhcp-script=/sbin/dhcpc_lease
script-arp
address=/vtuner.com/vtuner.b0.dk

Typing vtuner in my browser still brings me to the regular "vtuner.com" site

I have tried flushing the cache, on my desktop but no luck
use it as I wrote based on the Ip address. it works for me!

Might be obvious, but restart dns/dhcp after the change in the file... scmerlin or cli command.

Thanks glehel... yes, did lots of research and it won't work. I don't see what could be wrong.
The VPN requires a custom IP so I wonder if that makes a difference.

Thanks dev_null... Per the instructions, I used

service restart_dnsmasq to restart the service

Is a VPN Client in the mix? If you have Policy Rules enabled + Accept DNS Configuration = Exclusive, dnsmasq is bypassed as LAN clients assigned to use the VPN will "exclusively" use the DNS pushed by the VPN provider.

Thanks for the suggestion Xentrk.
I tried it with the VPN client totally disabled, but it does not work.

I do have "DNS filtering" set to "ON" with the router "option"

The DNS and wins Server Setting are set to the VPNs per the ... does this matter?

Attachments

• DNS settings.jpg
    DNS settings.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 101
Thanks for the suggestion Xentrk.
I tried it with the VPN client totally disabled, but it does not work.

I do have "DNS filtering" set to "ON" with the router "option"

The DNS and wins Server Setting are set to the VPNs per the ... does this matter?
You want to remove the DNS setting on the LAN - DHCP Server Screen.

Compare your dnsmasq log config with this write up to make sure you enabled it properly:

Hi, Xentrk

That did the trick... thanks so much for the patience and assistance.

I have read up on the difference between the LAN DHCP DNS and WAN DNS and it seems per your instructions, leaving the LAN DNS blank is the recommended procedure.

Mullvad VPN Asus instruction placed custom DNS servers in the DHCP DNS.
Are there any possible repercussions for using the router/WAN DNS servers apart from just reducing the workload of the router?

thanks for

Hi, Xentrk

That did the trick... thanks so much for the patience and assistance.

I have read up on the difference between the LAN DHCP DNS and WAN DNS and it seems per your instructions, leaving the LAN DNS blank is the recommended procedure.

Mullvad VPN Asus instruction placed custom DNS servers in the DHCP DNS.
Are there any possible repercussions for using the router/WAN DNS servers apart from just reducing the workload of the router?

thanks for
No repercussions. This is the way. :D

I view the feature as a benefit. There are many DNS providers that have additional features, such as ad and content blocking, when compared to just a few years ago. You can also customize DNS by device using the DHCP page or DNSFilter.

No repercussions. This is the way. :D

I view the feature as a benefit. There are many DNS providers that have additional features, such as ad and content blocking, when compared to just a few years ago. You can also customize DNS by device using the DHCP page or DNSFilter.

Got it...
Thanks for all the help.